Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Proper PSU for two R9 295x2 in crossfire

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jigglywiggly View Post
    I actually read some of this thread.
    You must realize, AMD cards especially in crossfire (I don't even want to imagine quad fire)
    have an insane amount of micro stuttering. This is what you are experiencing.
    AMD drivers in general are pretty bad, and I doubt they even tested quad fire very long.

Go swap your cards for some nvidia ones and watch your problems go away.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...re,2995-6.html

Also afaik having more gpus will cause you be another frame behind. With 4 gpus you will be 3-4 frames behind, that is a massive amount of input lag.
    Oh yeah? Lets post a review from 3 years ago. You should look actually look up reviews and see how "bad" the drivers for the 295x2 are

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You must realize, AMD cards especially in crossfire (I don't even want to imagine quad fire)
    AMD drivers in general are pretty bad, and I doubt they even tested quad fire very long.

Also afaik having more gpus will cause you be another frame behind. With 4 gpus you will be 3-4 frames behind, that is a massive amount of input lag.
    Yeah, don't get me wrong, i've heard that AMD's drivers are not so good, but i just don't believe they didn't do any improvement after all these years
    Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-GAMING G1 WIFI-BK, CPU - Intel Core i7-4790K (@ stock), Cooler - Corsair H80i, RAM - 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance LP, SSD - Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HDD - WD Black 1TB, Video Cards - Sapphire Radeon R9 295x2 and PowerColor Radeon R9 295x2 in QuadFire, PSU - Corsair AX1500i, Case - Corsair Obsidian 900D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Terrible advice. It's not 2011 anymore. This hasn't been true for quite a while now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am now trying 295x2 crossfire.

Does the new EVGA 1600 P2 meet the specs?

i7-5930K OC'ed to 4.40
    16Gb DDR 4
    Asus X99 Deluxe
    OS on Samsung 840 PRO
    Games on Crucial M something SSD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, plenty of watts and plent-0 amps.

let us know how you fair regarding quad-crossfire reliability.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    Yes, plenty of watts and plent-0 amps.

let us know how you fair regarding quad-crossfire reliability.
    AAAEEEERRRRGFHHGHFHF!!!!!

Here is my post on Hard Forum, where the PSU was suggested as an issue. I am going to add a 2nd psu for just the 2nd card and see if it fixes the issue before I purchase a new PSU..just looking at my options..

"Purchase a 295x2.. It did ok...added a 290x that I had, did better. So I took out the 290x and added another 295x2..Now huge stuttering issues

Using Beta 14.7 drivers, which were better for me than 14.9 current

Current specs.

i7-5930K OC'ed to 4.40
    16Gb DDR 4
    Asus X99 Deluxe
    OS on Samsung 840 PRO
    Game on Crucial M something SSD
    1300w EVGA G2 PSU

I play games on 3 monitors...3240X1920

The game I have the most trouble with is Planetside 2. On medium settings I get decent FPS, but stuttering all over the fn place.

Doesnt matter what I change the setting to..stuttering. So I thought maybe I was having anothe issue..drivers, new card not quite right, etc..

Firestrike score 19,885..Obviously shit is working. There is a but here.. during the process, there was some, dont want to say stuttering..but kinda of a shift thing in the picture at times..

IF i go into ANY kind of windowed mode (even at 3240x1920), all but one core shuts down and the game plays decent with NO STUTTER. I am using MSI Afterburner to show core usage.

Why does 1 single core on the 295x2 window mode at 3240x1920 do better than a 290x full screen (3240x1920) with FPS?

Should I just move to Nvidia Maxwell or some other kind of single GPU? I have been a ATI/AMD guy since my first ATI Rage Pro...Long time...

I understand that I might be asking the wrong things out of my cards and its not an AMD issue, then fine...Maybe Nvidia is what I need.... Shit, obviously I am willing to work through all the software/driver glitches with AMD through the years..But I see no path to fixing this..

Can I get some clues from others?

If I missed a piece of data that you think important, please ask.. I may have tried it and or forgot to list it here...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, nothing you describe indicates a problem with power.

The problem with a two GPU card is that they add hardware to accelerate the Crossfire function on the card and reduce power consumption/heat.

So, you already have an interweave going on /being accomplished by software and hardware on the card...now, trying to sync/interweave that again...with another card...dividing work between two more GPU...that are also connected with a accelerator chip...and things just go to hell.

4 cards(one GPU) on one motherboard will actually be less trouble than 4 GPU on two cards.

It just stands to reason, the complexity is really insane when you think about all the memory and communication latencies.

Does NVIDIA do it better? Perhaps they have better software...but I wouldn't bet a shed load of money on it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I have some results...

1. Added the HX 750 to one vid card... stutter was less, but still completely unacceptable.
    2. Tried to run just the new card...cant boot. After about 4 tries, I install older 295x2, machine boots.
    3. Install new one again, just the single card, machine boots, but my crap is all funky, plus I am getting artifacts..and I cant manage the screens in terms of size, resolution, orientation..and one monitor is completely out..

So, its an RMA. God I hope its just a bad card and new one gets me to decent ground.

I will shoot my own self for getting into this if I get a good card and I still have massive issue with games.....Which I know is a possibilty.

Or I cut my losses and try Nvidia.. Its just that I dont think there is a single card out there that can do 3240x1920 with med to high settings....at least nothing in the AMD vid card line up..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, at $550, I would say quad 980 would be my choice.

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/5623...tro-last-light

However, you can see that scaling works for some games and is nearly non-existent for others.

Once you go beyond SLI to TRI and QUAD...you need to look very closely to see if specific game optimizations are in place...and how effective the scaling is that that specific game.

JMHO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For those that are curious..

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1835713

Results of new card..