Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Platform database

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Default Platform database

Hello folks, cheers to every member of this forum. One of the few remaining ones that keep high standards of information, politeness and professionalism.

I started making some kind of a database of platforms used in power supplies, and I'm here to hear your opinions, insights and to be pointed at any fatal mistakes I may have made.

www.orionpsudb.com

Throughout the whole thing I put many disclaimers about how the fact that two units are based on the same platform doesn't mean they are identical or "rebranded", that a unit built on a platform can contain lots of significant changes, or that one should always look for a review of the particular unit of interest, but I fear there are still not enough warnings for some communities this list is surely going to reach.

This wouldn't be possible without sites like JonnyGURU, TechPowerUP or Hardware Secrets, who make complete PSU teardowns to see if a power supply is an unmodified version of the OEM construction, or significantly changed to the point it's only very loosely based on it. The photos in the tables are only there for hints, I rely on complete teardowns when listing platforms whenever possible.

A big credit goes to Jonnyguru himself, who provided me with valuable information that I wouldn't be able to achieve through any other means, and also spotted some other mistakes in the Corsair table.

What do you think, is it worth investing in? The RHTX database already lists OEMs, and platforms are an even closer hint and an interesting piece of trivia as a bonus. Should I include more reminders for people to always look for the particular review?

P.S.: The index "article" may sound very cheesy. I dumbed it down, but I had some faint inner voice telling me it's not a good idea.
    Last edited by Orion; 08-16-2014 at 05:20 PM. Reason: P.S.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Orion For This Useful Post:

-The_Mask- (08-17-2014), ManoloKosh (09-18-2017), McSteel (08-16-2014), Philipus II (08-16-2014), rafal_iB_PL (08-16-2014), Vort Max (11-21-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Any time someone gathers useful info and presents it all in one place, easy to find and interpret, it can only be a good thing.

I've always wondered why RHTX didn't make the "OEM" column "OEM, Platform" but that's because I'm well enough versed in PSUs (and PC tech in general) to know the caveats of basing an initial (or even final) judgement on a singular, general piece of information. For the general public, it actually is better to do it the way you've set out to.

I'm speaking mostly for myself, but I believe others will help too, so I can safely say that we'll help however and whenever we can.
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Great idea!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

XFX is better company than Thermaltake, it will be better.
    Seasonic (XFX OEM) makes better PSUs than CWT (Thermaltake OEM), so it's better.
    If only I had a dime for every time I've read any version of the above on whatever forums...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

There's already a very good site for this : http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm

Toms Hardware also recently posted an article with info about OEMs and other things: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ands,3762.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
    If only I had a dime for every time I've read any version of the above on whatever forums...
    Seriously. Seasonic is good for the most part, but so many people say "they're the best". I mean, "back in the day" of M12II, etc.... Yeah, sure. But now a days? Not so much.

EDIT: Rephrased. I know how they got the good reputation. Not sure why they still do.
    Last edited by Jon Gerow; 08-17-2014 at 12:44 PM.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    All Jap caps or not, poor QC is poor QC.
    According to you, is that poor QC a widespread (I mean, set aside SS) issue?

And broadly speaking, I think SS have such a good reputation even (mainly?) due to the almost unanimous reviews saying how good their PSUs are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mariush View Post
    There's already a very good site for this : http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm

Toms Hardware also recently posted an article with info about OEMs and other things: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ands,3762.html
    If you look around my site and the original post, you will see that it serves a very different purpose than RHTX or OEM lists.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts

Very nice indeed!

Some more:
    CWT GPK is also used in Chieftec Task series, Antec NeoECO NEx50M/NEx50C and Cooler Master GM series are GPK with DC-DC.

CWT PUO is used in the Deepcool Quanta DQ1250

CWT DSA IV is used in the Enermax Revolution X't series

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Stealing people's photographs and representing them as yours in a database is probably not a good idea.