Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EVGA Supernova P2 1200W PSU Review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Default EVGA Supernova P2 1200W PSU Review

EVGA has to be happy with their place in the power supply market right now. They took an awesome platform and ran with it, and now everyone else has to play catch-up. Today, I'm looking at the Supernova P2 1200 watt unit. It seems a foregone conclusion at this point that it will be just as awesome as ever, but why don't we just check it out anyway to be certain?
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=389

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tazz For This Useful Post:

Original Sin (08-10-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only just heard that EVGA makes power supplies earlier today while someone was linking reviews soundly thrashing my typical Corsair and Antec PSU recommendations in both quality and price, and now they've put out an even better supply than the one that stunned me and made me feel dumbfounded.

These guys really just came out of nowhere, but I'll definitely keep an eye on Super Flower and EVGA from now on. Up to now, I really didn't think you could do much better than the Seasonic PSUs being made by Corsair and Antec.

In 2011 or so, I knew that Corsair was just a good RAM company. At one point, I knew Cooler Master was just a good fan/heatsink maker. And up to today, I knew that EVGA was just a popular NVidia GPU partner. Now, I just wonder what company is going to completely shatter my image of them tomorrow.

It's weird how all these highly reputable companies in other fields with no experience in the PSU business keep jumping in and delivering competitive products. It seems to have been a trend lately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    286 Posts

The biggest issue with Super Flower is capacity. If they start selling these things in any kind of volume, Super Flower won't be able to keep up. They only have one line and can only output about 1000 units a day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First perfect 10?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The AX1500i also got a 10/10.

Rig 1: Core i5 6600K - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB PC2666 RAM - MSI GeForce GTX1070 - Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD + 2TB Seagate SSHD - Corsair RM550x - Fractal Design R5 - Win10 64

Rig 2: Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9 GHz - Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 - Corsair LPX 16GB PC3200 RAM - Gigabyte GeForce 1070 - 250GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Corsair RM650i - Win10 64
    HTPC: AMD A6-6400k - MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 mITX - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz - 3.5TB storage - Silver Power 460W passive - CM Elite 120

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Yup, as Smirnoff said, the Corsair AX1500 was the first perfect 10.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory6&reid=378

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I only just heard that EVGA makes power supplies earlier today while someone was linking reviews soundly thrashing my typical Corsair and Antec PSU recommendations in both quality and price, and now they've put out an even better supply than the one that stunned me and made me feel dumbfounded.

These guys really just came out of nowhere, but I'll definitely keep an eye on Super Flower and EVGA from now on. Up to now, I really didn't think you could do much better than the Seasonic PSUs being made by Corsair and Antec.

In 2011 or so, I knew that Corsair was just a good RAM company. At one point, I knew Cooler Master was just a good fan/heatsink maker. And up to today, I knew that EVGA was just a popular NVidia GPU partner. Now, I just wonder what company is going to completely shatter my image of them tomorrow.

It's weird how all these highly reputable companies in other fields with no experience in the PSU business keep jumping in and delivering competitive products. It seems to have been a trend lately.
    I think EVGA were pretty bold to have such a late stab at the PSU market. They did a decent start with their FSP Aurum-models, though it didn't impress much. They seem to have re-thought for their second step and chose a winner in Super Flower as OEM.

I spotted the Super Flower and was pretty impressed with their Golden- platform back in 2010 (or was it early 2011?). So I picked me up a NZXT Hale90 on that platform on a bargain.. it went very well with my white FD Define R3 chassi! It is still serving my rig and it's oh so quiet, never heard that PSU fan..

But now I'm really tempted to get a Leadex-build from EVGA.. But I don't know how I can sneak it in the house without the mrs knowing..!??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    The biggest issue with Super Flower is capacity. If they start selling these things in any kind of volume, Super Flower won't be able to keep up. They only have one line and can only output about 1000 units a day.
    I recall you making a similar comment in another thread some time ago. They don't have the facilities that Seasonic and the other big timers have, do they? Do you think this EVGA-Superflower alliance will help Superflower afford the facilities and technology and really enter the big time?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    286 Posts

Perhaps. Or, as a transition plan, they could contract out their designs to another factory. That happens often. In fact, you'd be surprised how many popular brands only have a line for final assembly while everything else, like PCB, SMT, etc. is outsourced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    That raises the question of how they are producing Leadex units, as well as Golden Green HX units and Capstones for Rosewill. So maybe they are already contracting out some designs?