Thread: Need Advice On Migrating Towers To Chassis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Need Advice On Migrating Towers To Chassis

I am thinking of migrating 6 HP ProLiant ML310e desktop servers to 2U chassis to be rackmounted onto a 15U rack. I will be replacing the PSUs with these high efficiency redundant power supplies. I just wanted to know if anyone has any tips on things to consider before migrating the towers. I don’t want to overlook any important details. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, you want to make sure they can fit your motherboard first. Check to see if it's ATX, MicroATX, Extended ATX. Some of them only take MicroATX.

Secondly, you want to make sure your CPU fan and expansion cards can fit in a 2U case. They're kind of narrow, and you may need a low profile cooler.

Finally, you want to make sure you have everything well-ventilated. A 2U case is kind of cramped, so things might get hotter.

Other than that, it should be just like moving it from one case to another. Make sure you don't damage the board with static, make sure it's installed properly, etc.

It's not that different from installing in those old horizontal desktop cases, from what I've seen.

If you have any trouble fitting into a 2U case, you might want to move up to 3U or 4U.
    Last edited by athenian200; 07-25-2014 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Match case to board VERY carefully for 2U. You need to work out the airflow patterns in your chosen case, and make sure the air will get to everything that really needs the airflow.

If you have no expansion cards in the machines, a 2U chassis will be fine, but you will want to get the best CPU cooler you can find that will fit, and then make sure it won't mess with the air patterns in the case. The majority of commercial rack designs I've seen are based around a passive cooler on the CPU and just pushing lots of air through it. Be careful where you install such a machine as it's seriously a hoover and will inhale any dust particle within 100 yards.
    3u and 4u cases are far more conventional in design and can easily cope with a pile of expansion boards, but again, watch the airflow and fill optional fan locations with (mainly) intake fans.
    Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
    I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)