Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seasonic Platinum 1200 Review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Arrow Seasonic Platinum 1200 Review

Seasonic has been on such an amazing roll these past few years. One after another, it's been amazing power supply after amazing power supply. But things can change, particularly in this industry. You've got to stay on your toes to stay on top of the game. Let's see if Seasonic is still bringing the awesome as I test their new Platinum 1200W unit.
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=385

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahoma Wolf For This Useful Post:

Original Sin (07-02-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for all the reviews, and this one and in particular for: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules/NDR...0/IMG_0002.jpg
    Can't say that I've seen operating temp specs for all of those units (outside the odd review here or there), especially not all in one place before now.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chasmcity For This Useful Post:

Oklahoma Wolf (06-30-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it just me, or did Kiefer Sutherland speak with a lisp in Pompeii?
    "There is no way you can be Harvard Monday through Friday, and try to be Alabama on Saturday" -Art Guepe former University of Virginia head football coach

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Could be - hard to speak eloquently when you're chewing the scenery that much.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahoma Wolf For This Useful Post:

Jon Gerow (07-01-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought he was channeling a bit of Graham Chapman.

Just a little bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where is his wife, Incontinentia Buttocks?
    "There is no way you can be Harvard Monday through Friday, and try to be Alabama on Saturday" -Art Guepe former University of Virginia head football coach

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First off let me say I have been a long time fan of the reviews , and will always read in before making a decisions on purchases. In the past have found the reviews to be extremely thorough and accurate , but one omission was any detail regarding noise levels and/or fan profiles. Having used Corsair AX series PSU's extensively for quite a while, I am familiar with the current Seasonic OEMed units that have the hybrid switch, so I was expecting the Platinum Series to have similar characteristics.

Unfortunately the 1200 Watt unit I have just fitted to a Dual 10 Core Xeon System is displaying extremely odd fan profile behaviour. On Normal setting at boot/idle the fan is immediately on at a very audible level, switching to Hybrid will stop the fan but it will eventually kick in again at a high level for a few minutes before switching off again. This behaviour remains even under Burn In, so with Dual 10 Cores, 64GB RAM , 2 x SSD's ( not burning in ) and 3 x 2TB HD's pegged, it will be silent and then kick in at a high audible level, and then switch off again, repeat , rinse, repeat.

So I can either have it on normal setting where the fan is constantly at a high audible level, or this schizophrenic hybrid mode which behaves the same under idle or load.

Surely this cannot be correct ?

Did you witness this behaviour on the test unit ?
    Last edited by Curvin; 07-28-2014 at 03:20 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey guys, i'm in the process of deciding on a PSU, I was wondering which PSU; the 1050W Seasonic Platinum or the EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2, is better and why. I can't seem to distinguish the differences between the two. The 80 Plus efficiency does not concern me.

I'm wanting a PSU which will last for quite some time, at least the stated warranty period(7,10 years)

Here are the spec links

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2
    http://www.evga.com/products/Specs/P...5-f7b660159eb9

Seasonic XP-1050
    http://seasonic.com/pdf/datasheet/NE...-1050-1200.pdf
    Last edited by barbeque; 07-28-2014 at 07:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by barbeque View Post
    Hey guys, i'm in the process of deciding on a PSU, I was wondering which PSU; the 1050W Seasonic Platinum or the EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2, is better and why. I can't seem to distinguish the differences between the two. The 80 Plus efficiency does not concern me.

I'm wanting a PSU which will last for quite some time, at least the stated warranty period(7,10 years)

Here are the spec links

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2
    http://www.evga.com/products/Specs/P...5-f7b660159eb9

Seasonic XP-1050
    http://seasonic.com/pdf/datasheet/NE...-1050-1200.pdf
    You really couldn't go wrong with either one.

After reading what I could find, it seems like the Seasonic delivers a little more power, while the EVGA has slightly better ripple/noise suppression.

They're two of the best you can get, and pretty closely matched. I would say just get whichever one is on sale/in stock/cheaper, and don't worry about it. If one is better than the other, it isn't by a lot. If you're worried about the warranty length, get the one with the longer warranty. But it's pretty safe to say either of those units will probably outlast any computer you put them into.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to athenian200 For This Useful Post:

barbeque (07-28-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    You really couldn't go wrong with either one...

Thanks for your response. The EVGA is currently AU$75(~US$70) cheaper than the Seasonic.

Specifically I'd like to understand the physical component differences between the two. For example the "dual copper bars" in the seasonic

I think I'll wait for a few more responses.

Thanks to jonny's thorough reviews, I'm now also considering the Coolermaster V1000.