Thread: How's the FSP Raider 450W?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How's the FSP Raider 450W?

Any thoughts on the FSP Raider 450W? If I end up getting rid of the S12II 430W, this is one possible alternative.

The only reviews I found are on the 550W and higher. On the 450W there's a review of a preproduction unit, and when it was still called "Bronze" and not "Silver".

Some observations vs the S12II, don't know how accurate they are:

* Maybe higher efficiency, but I'm not sure about the 10% range which is where it would usually be with my usage.

* Fan probably louder, and lower quality (sleeve bearing).

* Taiwanese vs Japanese capacitors, and 85C for the primary. Small heatsinks (maybe enough due to efficiency?).

* Annoying cable layout (all peripherals on 2 cables).

* 3.3V drops a bit low.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

FSP Raider is overall worse, and also doesn't like crossload because it doesn't have DC-DC or indy regulation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    370 Posts

LOL! You want to go from bad to worse. Oh my....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where do you live and what other options are available? Or where do you plan to shop?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mask, jonny, what specifically do you find offensive?

One thing I hope the Raider does better is keep the voltages closer to where they should be, which is the first priority and what I thought is a given in all decent PSUs, especially when not under extreme load. Then there are the other parameters.

rafal, I'm not in the US or Europe. There are various options but I don't want to go too expensive, and one thing that lead me to the Seasonic and now maybe FSP is 5 years warranty. The only other PSU with similar price and warranty is Enermax NANX/TomahawkII.

If I include models with 3 year warranty there are a few additional options, like Seasonic SS-###BT and ET, Corsair VS (maybe CX as well), CoolerMaster Elite Power and Thunder. Maybe a few others. Due to worse warranties Antec and Zalman are out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The point is Raider is still group regulated design, and therefore susceptible to similar behavior you see in your Seasonic, depending on load distribution.

Your best bet would be indy/DC-DC regulated unit. Like eg. Cooler Master G450M/G550M or OCZ ZS/Rosewill Hive. Or even InWin GreenMe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finally managed to find one review of the Seasonic. Shows unpleasantly high 12V, but not as high as I see. Disappointing either way. What I can find on the FSP suggests it doesn't go too high.

I don't understand the equation of group regulation to "it's okay to be out of spec on normal computer loads".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The first batch of FSP Raider has +5V voltage reaching the upper limit. Later a revision showed all voltages to be normal, but you may still find unpleasantly high(or low) voltage occasionally due to its group-regulation nature.
    It's been a hard day's night and I've been working like a dog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FWIW, I have a file server (was serving as my previous folding/HTPC) with an M12-II 430W and it's been running solid since March of 2009. It's never let me down and no hardware that was or now is in that rig has ever failed. But it's the older 80 Plus, not Bronze unit. But I don't see why it should be different.

Rig 1: Core i5 6600K - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB PC2666 RAM - MSI GeForce GTX1070 - Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD + 2TB Seagate SSHD - Corsair RM550x - Fractal Design R5 - Win10 64

Rig 2: Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9 GHz - Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 - Corsair LPX 16GB PC3200 RAM - Gigabyte GeForce 1070 - 250GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Corsair RM650i - Win10 64
    HTPC: AMD A6-6400k - MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 mITX - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz - 3.5TB storage - Silver Power 460W passive - CM Elite 120

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some actual FSP RA-450 impressions:

* No voltage problems so far:

12V = 12.14V at 50W AC (multimeter), 12.12V at 76W AC (CPU load). The S12II showed ~0.15V difference between these two loads. The mobo software reports 12.20-12.25V.
    5V = 5.08V multimeter, ~5.10-5.13V software.
    3V = 3.26-3.28V software.

* Seems about as quiet as the S12II, but I can't compare directly or objectively. This is between 50-76W AC.

* Practically same consumption as S12IIb under idle: ~50W AC. I think under higher loads I'm seeing better efficiency, which is to be expected, but I don't remember the exact figures of the S12II.

* Stupid cable layout:

Only two peripheral lines. (And yet, two PCIe 6+2?!)

Something that's touted by FSP as a feature is one cable with 5cm distances between 4 SATA connectors. I'd want to keep my HDDs further spaced for less heat.

Mobo connector isn't 20+4, just 24. I do have older mobos I may want to use the PSU on. The S12II had 20+4.

I'm not sure if SATA power connectors on drives have a standard orientation, but on my HDD I have to bring the power cable from the bottom up. The PSU normally sits at the top, so it's reversed.

* A sign of don't-give-a-damn: the two peripheral lines (the only ones that are unsheathed) were tangled together before the connectors were installed. End result: the cables will pull each other, depending on your drives layout.

* The model/specs sticker on the PSU is on the side opposite the fan! This along with the SATA plugs orientation makes me wonder if it's assuming cases with a bottom position for the PSU? Anyway, stupid. A hint to FSP: a sticker in the normal location would be visible in all case types.

* I wonder if the small heatsinks are like the 85C primary cap: save a dollar in exchange for halving the PSU's lifespan?

* The hole on the PSU for the internal cables is oddly large. You might be able to stick your finger in amidst the cables.