Thread: Seeking PSU compatible with Strider ST1500 modular cables

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Seeking PSU compatible with Strider ST1500 modular cables

Hi folks,

I bought a Silverstone Strider ST1500 a few years back for my primary workstation, mostly because it was the top-reviewed model on jonnyguru at the time. I'd like to replace it with a single-rail PSU, but don't want to rewire my whole case (which would take at least a day's work).

I'm looking for a recommendation on alternative units which are compatible with the ST1500's cables.

I know the ZM1350 is compatible, but it might be too long for me. Also it only has an 80mm fan which I presume is louder.

I think the Strider Gold Evolution 1000W or 1200W might work, but they seemed to get a lukewarm review compared to competitors. Also I wouldn't be using the fancy cables it comes with which have built-in capacitors, and am concerned this will deteriorate the ripple suppression or exacerbate other shortcomings mentioned in the article. I do love the fact it comes with a magnetic clip-on filter (I'm currently using a homemade filter of thin screen mesh fastened with foil tape).

1) Do any other manufacturers make PSU's that will accept Silverstone's modular cables? (e.g. I tried with a Corsair AX1200 I had kicking around and they didn't fit)

2) Any thoughts on the Strider Gold overall?

3) Is it ok to use the Strider Gold with my existing cables (no capacitors) and will the ripple be a lot worse?

4) Do ALL the cables that come with the Strider Gold have capacitors built in, or just the PCI-E cables for the GPU's? (Rewiring just my GPU's would be a lot easier than the whole case).

Note I don't really need whole 1500W; I may have over-provisioned things the first time around and it would be convenient not to have to deal with the special power cable anymore.

Also I actually have two ST1500's (one's just been sitting on a shelf as backup) and if anyone's interested in them let me know (but please keep this thread focused on my questions - thanks!).
    Last edited by rkagerer; 05-29-2014 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Fix numbering

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    112 Posts

I'm pretty sure that only Silverstone cables are compatible with Silverstone PSUs and, of course, vise versa.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rkagerer View Post
    1) Do any other manufacturers make PSU's that will accept Silverstone's modular cables? (e.g. I tried with a Corsair AX1200 I had kicking around and they didn't fit)

2) Any thoughts on the Strider Gold overall?

3) Is it ok to use the Strider Gold with my existing cables (no capacitors) and will the ripple be a lot worse?

4) Do ALL the cables that come with the Strider Gold have capacitors built in, or just the PCI-E cables for the GPU's? (Rewiring just my GPU's would be a lot easier than the whole case).
    We'll help answer your questions:

1) As far as we know only our PSUs will work fully with our own modular cables.

2) If you were happy with the electrical performance of ST1500, then Strider Gold would deliver similar experience. Unless you are a PSU reviewer with professional test equipment, you won't notice any difference (or difference between Strider Gold and other highly rated PSUs) For most people, the difference between a PSU that regulates within 1% and another that regulates within 2% is imperceptible. PSU reviewers need to point out this difference so they can give a score, but your system will likely not run any differently when a PSUs regulation is already better than 3%.

3) We started implementing capacitors on PCI-E cables in 2010 to help further reduce the "chance" of electrical whine on both the PSU and the graphics cards connected. So they have less to do with ripple suppression, which they make very little difference. You would be fine to use Strider Gold with ST1500's cables. Plus, we noticed high-end cards released in the last couple of years have mostly improved their electrical noise as well so we are no longer including PCI-E cables with capacitors on our newer models.

4) We only include capacitors on PCI-E cables.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    I'm pretty sure that only Silverstone cables are compatible with Silverstone PSUs and, of course, vise versa.
    "Captain Obvious saves the Day!" sorry but its so funny

@Silverstone

no an LC Power 1000W Legion X2 have elkos on PCIe too who cares
    best regards
    Tinpoint

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    112 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tinpoint View Post
    "Captain Obvious saves the Day!" sorry but its so funny
    Is it? Seasonic modular cables often fit other Seasonic made products. About the only exception is the Corsair AX Platinum, which was changed from the AX Gold which used the standard Seasonic pinout.

So since initially most SilverStone products were made by Enhance, it wouldn't be naive to assume that other Enhance built products would have the same pinout.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStone View Post
    We'll help answer your questions:

1) As far as we know only our PSUs will work fully with our own modular cables.

2) If you were happy with the electrical performance of ST1500, then Strider Gold would deliver similar experience. Unless you are a PSU reviewer with professional test equipment, you won't notice any difference (or difference between Strider Gold and other highly rated PSUs) For most people, the difference between a PSU that regulates within 1% and another that regulates within 2% is imperceptible. PSU reviewers need to point out this difference so they can give a score, but your system will likely not run any differently when a PSUs regulation is already better than 3%.

3) We started implementing capacitors on PCI-E cables in 2010 to help further reduce the "chance" of electrical whine on both the PSU and the graphics cards connected. So they have less to do with ripple suppression, which they make very little difference. You would be fine to use Strider Gold with ST1500's cables. Plus, we noticed high-end cards released in the last couple of years have mostly improved their electrical noise as well so we are no longer including PCI-E cables with capacitors on our newer models.

4) We only include capacitors on PCI-E cables.

Hope this helps!
    Hi SilverStone,

I never got around to thanking you for this detailed and thorough response! Thanks so much.

It's been a few years and I'd like to upgrade my PSU again (the PSU's fan started making noise intermittently and I don't have time to take it apart and replace). Is the Strider Gold still the best option, or is there another, better, compatible single-rail PSU available?

Remember my cables are still the ones from the ST1500 and I'd like a unit that fits in the same form factor (or smaller) and ideally has the same connector layout as that unit (I think the Strider Gold has less plugs).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rkagerer For This Useful Post:

ehume (06-14-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Interesting. Here we thought in-cable capacitors were there to reduce ripple. Instead, the Silverstone rep tells us they were there to reduce electronic noise. Does this include coil whine?

Jon? Can you weigh in? What is the purpose of in-cable capacitors?
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ehume For This Useful Post:

turkey3_scratch (06-15-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

… but don't want to rewire my whole case (which would take at least a day's work).
    Wow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post
    Interesting. Here we thought in-cable capacitors were there to reduce ripple. Instead, the Silverstone rep tells us they were there to reduce electronic noise. Does this include coil whine?

Jon? Can you weigh in? What is the purpose of in-cable capacitors?
    Depends on the caps used, as well as the design of the unit.

Generally speaking, if you see in-cable caps on only the 12v lines or only on the PCIe cables then it's mostly just to filter electronic noise and help reduce the occurrence of GPU whine.

On the other hand, if every cable had caps, then they're probably there to filter out ripple & noise.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tator Tot For This Useful Post:

ehume (06-15-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hi SilverStone,

I never got around to thanking you for this detailed and thorough response! Thanks so much.

It's been a few years and I'd like to upgrade my PSU again (the PSU's fan started making noise intermittently and I don't have time to take it apart and replace). Is the Strider Gold still the best option, or is there another, better, compatible single-rail PSU available?

Remember my cables are still the ones from the ST1500 and I'd like a unit that fits in the same form factor (or smaller) and ideally has the same connector layout as that unit (I think the Strider Gold has less plugs).
    You're welcome and thanks for continued use of our PSUs!

After the Strider Gold, we've since released Strider Platinum in 2015 and Strider Titanium in 2016. Both series' cable definition are still compatible with your ST1500 cables. We've also increased the plugs on 1000W+ models of these two series over the Strider Gold and they are all still single +12V rail.