Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PCGH will deduct points for single +12V rail PSUs. Thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

Default PCGH will deduct points for single +12V rail PSUs. Thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They can have whatever rating system they want.

I just think it's nonsense and won't pay attention to it. And will say so to anyone who will ask about it.
    Last edited by rafal_iB_PL; 05-25-2014 at 04:35 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dumb.

It's just demonstrating personal bias.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

There are three stages of Single Rail:
    Single Rail with OCP/OVP/UVP and a reasonable maximum Current. @+12V
    Single Rail with OCP/OVP/UVP and an unreasonable maximum current (ie about 750W and more) @+12V
    Single Rail without OCP/OVP/UVP @+12V

And there is Multi rail.

As you may know (or not): Multi rail is the most expansive variant of those, while single rail without +12V protection is the cheapest...

You think it's fair to rate a Multi Rail unit with a reasonable OCP/OVP/UVP and OTP (with a protection IC like a PS232S or F) the same as a single rail unit without OCP/OVP/UVP @ +12V (with a protection IC like the Weltrend WT7502 or 7510)??
    Well I don't...
    I think it's fair to deduct some points for those cheap protection ICs...

And you guys have read the review of the Enermax Triathlor Eco 650W and Lepa Maxbron 700W? And you have read the overload part?
    about 80 Amps @ +12V wihle falling under 10V before shutting down and 6V with 100Amps @ +12V with the Maxbron...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

I think its a good thing that they give attention too it, no one else is doing it. For most people its gonna be an eyeopener, the don't even know what multi-rail is. Not everyone has an account on JonnyGURU.com. Many people think that its just a way to go cheap for the manufacturer, they don't know that its only a extra protection against shorts.

They think like the marketing from XFX:

For those people its gonna be an eyeopener.

On the other hand, Philip isn't gonna make it easy for himself. He needs to check all the cables/connectors so see on what rails they are connected to. He needs to check when the OCP triggers on all the rails. But the most difficult thing is to decide if the OCP is good implemented. So it doesn't shutdown the PSU with overclocking a high-end R9 290X. But does shutdown if your have a R9 295X2 and only using one cable to power it. That's rather difficult with all the different possibilities in components.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

Please wait until it's finished. We're not done yet.

Be aware: German users are some sort of crazy about safety. We panic, we're scred and we buy insurance contracts for every risk we can think of. Safety is far more important for German user than for the market in most countries. PCGH is a German print magazine and has to adapt to the needs of the local readers.

The commentary is by Marco Albert, but of course we agreed on the facts before. There might be some facsts lost in translation and some parts aren't official yet, so a short summary of what I'm going to do:
    - badly designed multi rail is crap. We will definately score heavily against multi rail psus which can't deliver full power to real systems (for example: 50%/150 watts of the total power is reserved for the cpu). We will score against high power psus which can't supply a AMD 295X2 because enthusiasts want to power this card even if its not exactly in PCIe specs.
    - we don't know of any house fire caused by single rail
    - there are very few fires caused by PCs in general and even less caused by the psu. Remove the fires caused by really bad psus and you're already very close to zero.
    - single rail is perfectly fine for low power psus
    - the safety advantage of high power multi rail exists, but it's small
    - it grows with the maximum power and the higher OPP limit.
    - before getting a multi rail psu for safety reasons check your power grid, extension cords and power strips. These are the really likely things to cause fire.

PCGH got bad feedback recently because they recommended a single rail psu. We had to justify the decisions. Hardwareluxx (other german site) recently had a Lepa MaxBron unit which didn't shut down at +12-Volt-overload at all. The psu continued to work with around 6V output at +12V. We all agree on that that shouldn't happen.

I'm currently working on testing all protections with the Chroma 8000 system. Testing OVP, UVP, SCP, OCP and OPP really helps with judging the psu.We're are not getting the programming done for the premiere in the 08/2014 but most likely for the following tests. I've got the German contractor of Chroma (PCE Powercontrol) to assist me.. For the first review for the 08/2014 I don't have the triggers per rail yet, but later I will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    You think it's fair to rate a Multi Rail unit with a reasonable OCP/OVP/UVP and OTP (with a protection IC like a PS232S or F) the same as a single rail unit without OCP/OVP/UVP @ +12V (with a protection IC like the Weltrend WT7502 or 7510)??
    Well I don't...
    I think it's fair to deduct some points for those cheap protection ICs...

And you guys have read the review of the Enermax Triathlor Eco 650W and Lepa Maxbron 700W? And you have read the overload part?
    about 80 Amps @ +12V wihle falling under 10V before shutting down and 6V with 100Amps @ +12V with the Maxbron...
    Which is why the OCP/OPP should be tested, sure. But you can't just assume "no OCP..... bad." In MOST cases, when OPP is used in lieu of OCP, it DOES work.

Unfortunately, in addition to ignorant Anglo-Saxons that can't properly set up multiple +12V rails (), a lot of companies are going to stick with single +12V rail PSUs just to cater to the lowest common denominator user that doesn't know to look at the PSU's combined +12V rail rating when their GPU box says "you need a PSU with 50A on the +12V rail."

Of course, everyone could just split the +12V rails up and not put it on the label like some Seasonic units, but I've heard that certain safety certs don't like the discrepancy between the label and actual (they don't seem to mind when a 300W is labeled as a 600W though! Right?). Besides, when those products go out for review and they find the discrepancy and point it out, there's actually a backlash because, you know, some people still actually believe that single +12V rail is better for overclocking, system stability, their dogs digestive health, etc. and will be more angry than if you just straight up told them there's multiple +12V rails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

You can simply put 0.1-Ohm load on one output, and deduct points for any PSU whose protection didn't kick in.
    It's been a hard day's night and I've been working like a dog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

That will be my SCP test.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, the latest fall protection standard in the US is now 4 feet.
    If you are working at a height above that, you are supposed to have fall protection ...full body harness suspension capability.

Not two stories (20-16 feet), not one story (10-8 feet) but 4 feet off the ground.

When is enough enough?

Safety is great...but has anyone in GERMANY done a cost benefit study?
    How many homes burned down from single rail PSU? How many people over the last, oh say 20 years, were injured from single rail PSU?

IDK...is there a real need? or are we again chasing diminishing returns?

PS.

I guess no one at OSHA thinks about the irony...whenever I am standing...my head is 4 foot off the ground...so I should really be wearing fall protection 24/7/365.