Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: PCGH will deduct points for single +12V rail PSUs. Thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

What mdk777 said: Nanny state can be all encompassing. When you're told what to do, what to buy, how to live, etc.

Whether it's someone telling you that your PSU with more than 1000W on a single rail is too dangerous or that if you don't believe in the trinity you're going to hell... either way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sorry Jonny, but with that discription, every country in the world is some kind of "nanny state".
    Either the government is trying to "overprotect" their people (like a mother does with her child, hence "nanny"), or a government doesn't even exist, but a dictator.
    And don't tell me that your government is not trying to protect you, just because you're allowed to carry guns and use single-rail PSUs. With the latter, I don't know of any laws that restrict their usage in Europe, either.

It's a give and take with different topics I think; what about your actual speed limit and the consequences if you don't adhere to it? And how fast are you allowed to go on the German Autobahn? Just an example of where your state is nannying you . Not that I'm from Germany, btw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KILLI View Post
    I'm sorry Jonny, but with that discription, every country in the world is some kind of "nanny state".
    Either the government is trying to "overprotect" their people (like a mother does with her child, hence "nanny"), or a government doesn't even exist, but a dictator.
    And don't tell me that your government is not trying to protect you, just because you're allowed to carry guns and use single-rail PSUs. With the latter, I don't know of any laws that restrict their usage in Europe, either.

It's a give and take with different topics I think; what about your actual speed limit and the consequences if you don't adhere to it? And how fast are you allowed to go on the German Autobahn? Just an example of where your state is nannying you . Not that I'm from Germany, btw.
    You're correct. I'm not saying we're without nanny state.

I'm moving to California soon and it's horrible compared to elsewhere in the U.S. Here, they dictate what kind of bags I put my groceries in, that I should have an electric car if I want preferred parking and to use the car pool lane, that everything around me can cause cancer, that people can't smoke within 20 feet from any building...... it goes on and on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    You're correct. I'm not saying we're without nanny state.

I'm moving to California soon and it's horrible compared to elsewhere in the U.S. Here, they dictate what kind of bags I put my groceries in, that I should have an electric car if I want preferred parking and to use the car pool lane, that everything around me can cause cancer, that people can't smoke within 20 feet from any building...... it goes on and on.
    Don't forget the mandatory earthquake insurance, or the lovely mandatory horsepower robbing, smog control, emissions standard on every vehicle, or the random getting yanked from the car and getting a brick smashed against the side of your head. And I shouldn't even have to mention the cost of health insurance, due to rampid drive-bys and milk costing $10 a gallon that comes with the label; "May cause cancer in laboratory rats."
    MSI P67A-GD65
    i72600K@4.8
    Corsair H70
    4x4Gb GSkill Ripjaws 16Gb 1600
    MSI 670 GTX PE/OC
    2x750Gb Seagate Barracuda's RAID 0
    Zalman ZM-MFC1
    Lite-On Dvd burner
    SB X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
    Silverstone Zeus ST85ZF
    Coolermaster HAF-932
    "Experience is the benchmark of maturity"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Well, last week I reached 150 miles (240 km) per hour on the highway - completely legal (and depending on the highway safe) here in Germany. Ok, gas is expensive, so it's expensive to go that fast for longer distances. Ok, sometimes I just don't care. We are allowed to drink in public. It's completely legal to buy a sixpack of beers in the supermarket and drink them on the street (some areas excluded). We are allowed to travel to Cuba for holidays and bring back cigars. We don't have to pay the fine if someone was caught on tape speeding with your car and police can't identify him, even if you "don't remember" to who you borrowed your car. We Germans usually don't even have to pay fines from other countries for traffic violations if their police doesn't get us on site, because our constituation got some requirements which the authorities of other countries don't meet. And we can buy beer and wine without limits on our 16th birthday and the rest of the alcohol on our 18th birthday.

So stop telling Germany is a nanny state, please. We've got rules, some of them good, some of them bad. For foreigners, they are probably different from those at home. Culture is different, too. We are more cautious regarding technology, evironmental issues and we buy insurance contracts. Again, sometimes it's better, sometimes it's worse, but it's how we are. Germany definately isn't a paradise, but the economy is pretty strong and the situation stable. I'd like to go abroad anyway, we'll see...

Regarding single rail there is no law, it's more consensus of reviewers and the people hanging out in the tech forums.
    Last edited by Philipus II; 06-03-2014 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah some reactionary posts on both sides...
    mine included.

But yeah, I only care that it works really, really well.

My safety I can take care of myself.

PS just an example.
    Bought a new lawn mower. Simple push mower.
    The cheapest no frills come with older motors. To get an OHV Honda engine, you are forced to step up to the self-propelled.

Now come the super silliness. You have to hold a kill switch or the motor shuts off...OK, keeps idiots from leaving the mower running ...kid walking up...mower continues to run after cutting off your toes...I get it.

I could live without it, but OK.

But now they have TWO kill levers. ONE for the engine, and ONE for the power assist. Really, you couldn't just combine them into one?

So to walk my mower, I have two thin steel rods cutting into my hands in different directions in addition to the bar?

Solution=zip tie the power assist lever.

Of course now when I start the mower, the wheels are already engaged.

IS this safer? No, I don't think so, but it allows me to use the &^*&%^$%&^ Mower without blisters and my hands going numb.
    Last edited by mdk777; 06-03-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Continuous power on the wheels isn't comfortable if you have to go back...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yup...point is that 30 years ago I had a similar mower with a select shift...neutral if you wanted to push, and two speeds.

30 years of "progress" later, I have less function(due to the mandated kill switch,that to assure the mower won't roll away, cannot have a neutral feature?), to the point of almost making the appliance unusable for its intended purpose!!

such safety features I can do without.

Like a brand new PSU that would shut off because my 290x pulled too many watts on one rail of a "safety" PSU. :
    Yeah, it is a poor designed card...but if I bought it, I would want it to work!
    Last edited by mdk777; 06-03-2014 at 07:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are a lot of these examples. Some experiences of mine are with cars: in Europe we didn't have seatbelt reminders until lately; a lot of cars had the lamps for this feature in the instrument panel, but they were without function - because they were only used in other markets where this feature was already mandatory: the US included .
    Now we have these annoying "tools" here, too. I can not even unbuckle myself on the very last few meters to my parking spot without the alarm going off and distracting myself so much that I would surely hit something/someone if anything unexpected would happen on the last few meters!
    I can't drive with stability control disabled at more than ~20miles/hour because it will automatically switch itself on again.
    I can't leave my car in neutral in my 100% level driveway (to be able to push it around a little when needing some space to get the mower out of the garage etc.) because I can't pull the key out of the ignition lock if the car is not in "P".
    Cars with manual transmission can only be started when holding down the clutch. What if the engine failed and I want to "hop" away from a railroad crossing?
    I can't leave the headlights on to light my way without having to turn the ignition on (and leave the car well prepared for any opportunistic car robber).

In my opinion, this is really annoying "nannying". I have some gear that is technically able to do some things, but it just won't let me because someone thought that this could be "unsafe". Damnit, I know what I do, I think before I do it, so let me do it!
    Sometimes it feels like having a gun that can't shoot by design, because otherwise someone could get hurt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I get real tired of "Big Brother" looking over my shoulder and dictating to me what I have to do and I guess we have that shit on both sides of the big pond. At least I can drive my Mazda with the stability BS turned off for as fast and long as I want to and the headlights will turn themselves off after removing the key from the ignition (timer relay). Can't say about starting without pushing the clutch in as I can't even remember if I have tried it with this car in the 5 or so years I've owned it. And the seatbelt reminder is a quiet little ding that doesn't distract you too badly if you pull it off before you get where you are going.

At least down here in soggy bottom Louisiana we have pretty liberal firearms laws, which let's me partake in my new "old" hobby of shooting rifles and pistols. As a matter of fact, I believe I'll try to combine my shooting hobby and my old computer hobby this time in from the rig and "test" a couple of old dead psus at the range (if I can do so with nobody around as we aren't supposed to shoot anything but paper). Here's a pic of me with one of my "test tools" taken a few months ago by my brother close to sunset. That's a Coonan 1911, which is a 1911 style pistol chambered in .357 Magnum.