Thread: Sentey Cobalt Pro Keyboard Review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Default Sentey Cobalt Pro Keyboard Review

In my many years as a computer owner and writer, I have used many keyboards. Some have been better than others, but most of them don't last long. Today, I'm looking to review my first keyboard for the site, and it's the brand new Sentey Cobalt Pro. Featuring Cherry MX Black switches, this one should hold up to my abuse pretty well. Let's have a look.
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=381

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts

I actually appreciate a keyboard with audio jacks. I don't like having wires drape from my chassis to my head and I'm not the biggest fan of USB/wireless headsets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

This keyboard has now officially replaced the Azio on the main rig. It's just a lot more comfortable to use.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts

That said, I'm more of an MX brown kind of guy.

cheapie is offline That weird furry girl they warned you about
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a keyboard with the blue switches, and I love it. It feels nice, and I love the noise too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The OEM is iOne, I product tested an XArmor branded variant with MX Browns back in 2010. Same orange keycaps too. Some ok extras in there though, especially if you're into the "extreme gamer" aesthetic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good review, much better than the first one you guys published a few months ago.

A couple things:

In the review, you talk about non-linear MX keyswitches like they're significantly more expensive than Blacks. While I believe that the part cost from Cherry for the Blues is slightly higher (because Blues use a slightly more complex mechanism than Black/Red/Brown/Clear), actual finished keyboard cost is about the same for Blues, Blacks, Reds, and Browns. Green-based and Clear-based keyboards are usually more expensive on average because they're less common switches and usually only end up in higher-end keyboards, but they still don't actually cost significantly (if at all) more than the same keyboard with the more common switches.

Keycaps. Mechanical keyboards are expensive, and keycaps are where they'll show wear (unless you're re-enacting Gattaca). A new set of keycaps can be quite expensive as well. Especially with backlit keyboards, the keycaps can wear in such a way that the transparent lettering turns into ragged transparent blobs, depending on how the keycaps are made. Are the keycaps made opaque except for the lettering via a paint, a dye sublimation process, or double shot molding (the first is vastly more likely)? How thick does the paint feel? Can you scratch the paint at the edge of the lettering with your fingernail?

And a pedantic aside:

The springs in Topre switches don't appreciably add to the feel, they're actually part of the capacitive sensing mechanism. The Topre feel comes from well engineered high quality rubber domes.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to counterclockwork For This Useful Post:

McSteel (05-29-2014), Oklahoma Wolf (05-29-2014)