Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EVGA Supernova G2 850W PSU Review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Default EVGA Supernova G2 850W PSU Review

It's Easter week, and children everywhere are enjoying handfuls upon handfuls of candy. I don't have any candy to share with you guys, so I'm going to give you a look at another kind of treat from EVGA: the Supernova G2 850 watt unit. This unit promises to be even better than a chocolate overdose, if that's possible.
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=377

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

An excellent superflower unit with EVGA 10 year warranty? Now, where did I put my credit card?
    Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
    I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

10 year warranty?! That thing will still be under warranty when your PC is well and truly obsolete. It's kinda nice to see that the manufacturer is kind of encouraging people to re-use PSUs rather than the whole planned obsolescence mentality.
    No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's kinda nice to see that the manufacturer is kind of encouraging people to re-use PSUs rather than the whole planned obsolescence mentality.
    Yeah, I am really, really tired of $600 smart phones that you can't get to last more than two years. My wife and daughters I-phones...well you know they are designed to fail in two years. Yet, my Samsung and Motorola android have not lasted any longer.

Someone, I think it is google is working on a modular phone...Thank-you Jesus...just swap out the part that fails/becomes obsolete instead of the entire unit...economic and environmental sense. Hope it gets to market soon.

http://www.wired.com/2014/04/google-ara-new-deal/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for (yet another) great review! (((brown nose moment end)))

10y warranty, thank you EVGA! Good choice of OEM for their G2's. I have a crush on Superflower since they went all in to challenge Seasonic..This level of competition is very good for us buyers. More quality PSUs for the people!
    Now I cant make up my mind which one should have my money; CM V-series or these G2s?
    Wish Delta would want to get into the same race with Seasonic and Superflower, they are still overpriced in comparison.. well maybe its Antec holding up their margins on the HCPs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lacrits View Post
    10y warranty, thank you EVGA!
    Why does everyone fall for the warranty time and no one cares about the conditions?!

here's the link for the terms

As for the EVGA condition:
    It requires registration of the product within 30days of the purchase. If not registred within 30 days or sold to someone else, the warranty is reduced by 7 years. (so only 3 year limited warranty applies).

So if you buy the product and do nothing, you just have 3 years warranty
    So not that great...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

thanks for the info Stefan. Didn't know this (no time to read all the warranty details).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crmaris View Post
    thanks for the info Stefan. Didn't know this (no time to read all the warranty details).
    That's what they're counting on, I'm afraid. Not that it's difficult to register or anything, or that 30 days isn't enough time. But I'm sure a lot of people still forget or just don't know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I will make sure to point this out in my next review. Also I didn't like the receipt note. After ten years who will keep the original receipt. Only the serial number should suffice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Yeah, that's the problem...

And always the case with long warrantys that there is always something that allows the company to reject a valid RMA request...

In many RMA terms you'll find that 'normal tear and wear' is not included in the warranty. Some say only the first buyer gets the warranty.
    There are so many things you have too look at...

And tbh:
    I'd rather have 3-5 Years without 'Tear and Wear' and to register the product. The best case is warranty can be done without a receipt but some/many companys demand a receipt (guess why!)...
    But in the end you have to pray for the goodwill of the company, especially when your unit is a bit older and most of the warranty is over...

Buttom line:
    a long term warranty sounds good but can be useless, if you read the warranty terms. To have good terms that don't favor the manufacturer is better to have than a longer warranty.

How much worth is a 7-10 Year warranty with 'Tear and wear' in it, when you send it in after 5 years and it gets rejected?? Because tear and wear...