Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jonny reviews lack the Hold Up Time test.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    I've also been asked not to accept donations for tax reasons. So, if y'all would like to donate something, I'm not going to turn down any decent performing video cards I can mine altcoins with
    The profit with altcoin mining is going down hard, last weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by sblantipodi View Post
    I don't know who is tony, is it your friend or someone who can share this instruments for your reviews?
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=About_Us
    He also made some of the reviews.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yep. My finger's been over the button to shut it all down many times over the past couple months. So far, I think I got into it just soon enough to keep my head above water; but while Bitcoin has recovered some from the MtGox stuff the altcoins haven't.

That's a big problem for all small time miners like me, because I need to buy the hardware only as it pays for itself to keep my risk level down to manageable levels.

But... I do have two brand new video cards I didn't have to pay for out of my regular income and the extra cash to buy a third. As long as I keep seeing profit, I can keep moving forward with that.

Hoping for the best, planning for the worst though.

Incidentally, if I can move up to the point I can get my three dedicated mining rigs built, I may then be able to afford to start buying gutless wonders to review again. I wanna blow some stuff up for the site real bad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CM Phaedrus View Post
    To be honest, I wouldn't trust the SM-5500's results. It's a good DC loader, but it's not real precision instrument either.
    Have you compared the results between a 5500 and something supposedly more accurate?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I haven't compared its hold-up time, personally. I have compared its DC load current to a BK 8512, and the BK is much more accurate. They weren't side-by-side though, this was testing two separate units a year apart.

I'm just saying, it's a unit designed for the factory floor, not for a lab. It could very well have a very accurate hold-up time measurement, but I'd want it to be verified against a known-accurate measurement device/method. Also, I'm not sure what their circuit design is to measure hold-up time, but I suspect it still suffers from not having cycle-by-cycle control, as with using an oscilloscope.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Yep. My finger's been over the button to shut it all down many times over the past couple months.
    To many useless coin releases every day, which no one want to buy. And the useful coins have a really high diff.

To many miners and not enough buyers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    To many useless coin releases every day, which no one want to buy. And the useful coins have a really high diff.

To many miners and not enough buyers.
    That's the problem exactly. Too many people buying 10 video cards a pop and just jumping in thinking they're going to get rich overnight.

It was my biggest fear going in, and the number one reason I decided to buy cards only after they were paid for. As a result, I'm in the black while a bunch of people are in the red waiting for their video cards to pay for themselves. At this rate, those people may never reach ROI... hard to say.

Might be slowing down now, though. I hope. ASICs have started arriving, and the problem will only get worse as they gain traction.

Mining has always been a limited time only kind of deal, really.

I'm also hoping to get something going for photography this year to help take the financial pressure off. So far, the site in my sig has only made $30 over the past four months though. Hasn't even paid for itself. It's depressing

But then again storm season isn't here yet, either, and I've only just mastered the camera for lightning shots. My income tax refund this year will buy me a monitor for image editing, and hopefully I'll then be able to produce something worthy of selling well enough to keep going.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CM Phaedrus View Post
    I haven't compared its hold-up time, personally. I have compared its DC load current to a BK 8512, and the BK is much more accurate. They weren't side-by-side though, this was testing two separate units a year apart.

I'm just saying, it's a unit designed for the factory floor, not for a lab. It could very well have a very accurate hold-up time measurement, but I'd want it to be verified against a known-accurate measurement device/method. Also, I'm not sure what their circuit design is to measure hold-up time, but I suspect it still suffers from not having cycle-by-cycle control, as with using an oscilloscope.
    I think I'll have to try a SM-5500 and Chroma side by side to see how accurate it might be. Unfortunately, that'll have to wait until Summer time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Incidentally, if I can move up to the point I can get my three dedicated mining rigs built, I may then be able to afford to start buying gutless wonders to review again. I wanna blow some stuff up for the site real bad
    Wolf, have any particular criteria in mind for the gutless wonder testing? Like how many (a gutless wonder marathon ), price point, wattage rating, etc? If it's kept around $40 or so I would PP you the dough for 1 psu, just for shits and giggles. I haven't read a good gutless wonder psu test in a while and I would spring for one. Maybe if someone else could cough up a little money you could have a comparison. BTW, it's not a donation, but rather consider it as a review sample supplied by an individual and not a manufacturer (for tax purposes).

Looking at the NE US site, there are 2 "700 watt" beauties for less than $40 minus shipping (Apevia for $39.99 plus shipping and Xion for $39.99 and free shipping) and a 600 watt Diablotek for $29.99 plus shipping. I know you live up the the great white north Canuckistan, but I am sure you could find some lovelies like these there too. Surely one or more of those wonderful choices would look soooo cool hooked up to your Sunmoon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The problem is the Canadian dollar isn't worth what it used to be... not sure I could order one for that. Otherwise, I was thinking I haven't reviewed a Coolmax in a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you in a position to accept donations of Items people would like to see tested.
    Essentially it would not be a free donation since you would be providing the time, equipment and expertise along with written results and commentary.