Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Noise Testing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Please keep us posted. Noise measuring is probably still the weak link in most reviews now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Had my hands on a class 1 device today. Forgot to remember brand and model, but it's an older version anyway. Put in the noise lab of a competitor's main office it goes down to 18 dBA. There are some nice functions like the sound anylyzing mode and the possibilty to measure in Sone instead of dBA. Great toy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Brüel & Kjær 2250-L arrived today. Costs way to much but it is one of the best sound meters money can buy today (around $8k with the installed apps). I am still trying to pick up my jaw from the floor. This thing has so many options and features that my Chromas look a piece of cake to operate (LOL).

It is a G4 version (the newest) and has logging software, 1/1 octave and 1/3 octave frequency analysis software installed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Philipus II View Post
    Had my hands on a class 1 device today. Forgot to remember brand and model, but it's an older version anyway. Put in the noise lab of a competitor's main office it goes down to 18 dBA. There are some nice functions like the sound anylyzing mode and the possibilty to measure in Sone instead of dBA. Great toy
    brand? Moar info please

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

paid almost 85 euros for an ND9 calibrator which is supposed to be very good (+-0.3 dBA), hooked it up on my 2250 sound meter (to test the calibrator not the meter) which was recently calibrated by B & K and found it to be off by 2.6 dBA!!! My luck!! Now on the search for a decent calibrator Here goes another 400-500 euros

You start something with X budget and in the end you pay double as much...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Please keep us up to date what you bught and if you're happy with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

stay away from the ND9. I am still trying to get my money back for this total fail transaction. Buy a BRANDED calibrator and ideally try to find a recently calibrated one from ebay (yeap even calibrators need calibration).

I eventually bought an expensive Brüel & Kjær 4231 calibrator with which however I will be 100% sure that my results will be ok.

BTW I measured some days ago the ambient in my lab with everything switched off (and at night) and the sound meter hit its bottom limit (18.9 dBA) outside my anechoic chamber . So my older one wasn't able to measure below 29-30 dBA because of its electronic or inherent noise (after all officially it had 30-130). Don't expect to find an affordable sound meter that will be able to measure below 30 dBA. Only the expensive ones can do 25- 30 dBA and the super expensive ones even lower. Also you have to equip it with the rich mic. In my sound meter the bundled mic can go down to 16.5 dBA but on the sound meter due to inherent noise can measure down to 18.9 dBA (eventually in the chamber it goes even lower!). There is a mic that allows it to go even lower but it costs way too much and for my purposes it doesn't worth the extra money. I think 19 dBA are super ok for PSUs.

ps. now I have a better sound meter than w1zzard who inspired me to get a better one He has a Brüel & Kjær, too.

Last edited by crmaris; 04-15-2014 at 02:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

taking measurements with a sound meter that has average function is a piece of cake!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Can yours do sound frequency analysis and measurement in sone? I'd like to talk to you about your experiences...