Thread: Volts vs Amps for power supply specs. What's the importance to power a video card?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Volts vs Amps for power supply specs. What's the importance to power a video card?

Trying to understand the volts required for a specific AGP video card to see if my existing power supply might be too low to run the card. There are 2 cards that I'm interested in: a GeForce FX 5500, and a GeForce FX 6200. I'm not so interested in the recommended watts for a power supply unit. When I go to the specs for these two cards, this is what's recommended:

"Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 18 Amp."

I know the specs for the existing power supply in my computer indicates the following:

+3.3V@15A
    +5V@11A
    +12V@5A
    +12.8V@7.5A
    -12V@0.15A
    +5VSB@3A

If I don't have a power supply that indicates at least a +12V current rating of 18 amps, the video card won't work? What is the real significance of recommended amps?

I'm concerned for a few reasons, but mostly because I have a proprietary power supply unit that will be very tough to upgrade. It's not a typical ATX form factor, and one of the voltage outputs includes a +12.8V, which I believe is for the 20-pin motherboard connector.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as I remember AGP cards drew mostly from 3.3V rail.

What's the entire setup?

And what do you intend to get out of this card upgrade?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AGP version 1.0 used 3.3V. A video card compatible with a 4X AGP (Version 2.0) slot is supposed to need 1.5V, as you can see here:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/print...s-Tutorial/155

I've got an AGP 4X slot, Version 2.0. It's an old Compaq EVO D310. Quickspecs on this system are here:

http://h18002.www1.hp.com/products/q...ml&docid=11348

I'm still running Windows XP. The system has only a Pentium 4 CPU @ 2.4 GHz. The biggest problem with the system is video playback, especially streaming Internet videos. There's only an Intel 82845G integrated graphics controller onboard, so the AGP video card should get me better performance when playing back vids. I also want a dual output from the video card to my 19" LCD computer monitor and a 26" LCD TV. The two cards listed above will do this, but it's the voltage spec that I don't understand.

Both of these cards don't require more than about 26 watts when performing at their PEAK (e.g., when doing 3D graphics), but I don't need the video card for gaming. Just improved video playback to take some of the strain off the CPU.

It's not the watts I'm concerned about. I'm wondering if these cards are installed in the AGP slot of my system, is this recommendation

""Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 18 Amp"

going to mean that the card will never run on my system given the power supply unit doesn't seem to have the same spec for output voltage and amps (see above)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AGP version 1.0 used 3.3V. A video card compatible with a 4X AGP (Version 2.0) slot is supposed to need 1.5V, as you can see here:
    This is signalling voltage however and not voltage supplying bulk of power. Otherwise it would be problematic as PSU more than likely doesn't have 1.5V rail.

I'm still running Windows XP. The system has only a Pentium 4 CPU @ 2.4 GHz. The biggest problem with the system is video playback, especially streaming Internet videos. There's only an Intel 82845G integrated graphics controller onboard, so the AGP video card should get me better performance when playing back vids.
    As far as I know, they won't. Offloading video playback is available since Geforce 8xxx or Radeon HD2xxx. And none of Geforce 8xxx and later cards are AGP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

And the HD3xxx en HD2xxx AGP had also some problems with video playback if I remember it correctly.