Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any low power PSU suggestions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Any low power PSU suggestions?

Hi All,

I'm trying to find some low power PSUs for a few PCs that I'm building for work. (only running SSDs and G3220 or i3 haswells) I see a lot of gaming ones here and I know higher end PSUs better.

My supplier can get:
    $30 AcBel 350Watt Power supply, 8cm Fan, ATX, V2.3
    $44 AcBel 550Watt ATX Power Supply, Ver 2.3, 12cm Fan - 3 Years Warranty
    $44 Antec 350W Strictly Power Supply [VP-350P] 120mm fan w/ Active PFC
    $47 Antec 350W Basiq Power Supply [BP350], ATX12V version 2.01 compliant
    $45 Corsair 350W CMPSU-VS350 - ATX Power Supply, 120mm fan

I'm leaning towards the Corsair as I've never had a problem with their higher power units but I read that the low power ones are different. Any suggestions, if there are others that I can look at I can see if the supplier can get them for me here in Australia.

I don't mind paying a bit more as I know the PSU is important but as I'm building a few the dollars add up pretty quick.

Thanks Josh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SeaSonic SSR-360GP

around $55 here in the states, and a step up in quality/efficiency.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

The Antec Basiq VP350P 350 W should be quite good for your needs.

It's reviewed here: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Antec/VP350P/1.html

Delta OEM design, good capacitor choice, basically a mix of Rubycon, Nippon Chemi-Con, Teapo, Taicon and Ltec.

The Corsair VS series power supplies have poorer components, especially when it comes to capacitors... JunFu, Capxon, Samxon etc ...

Both are good, but I'd trust the Antec more in long term.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I OTOH fear Antec's lack of wire grommet coupled with lack of sleeving. Every single unit I've seen with wires set up like that came with visible damage of insulation... out of the box.

With a bit of moving cables around insulation might eventually give way completely and you have short circuits on your hard.

Above Seasonic would of course be ideal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^
    I've seen those same marks in the wiring on units with no plastic grommet, but that's as bad as it ever gets. It never ever destroys the insulation.

EDIT: I didn't realise the OP was from Australia. http://www.megabuy.com.au/product_in...71&ref=ShopBot would also be an option (In Win IP-S400EQ3-2). The Seasonic G-360 is much more expensive here
    No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Seasonic G-360 is much more expensive here
    Yeah, sorry about that...always seems like your prices should be lower with proximity and all.

Just goes to show how insanely efficient ocean going freight rates eh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've seen those same marks in the wiring on units with no plastic grommet, but that's as bad as it ever gets. It never ever destroys the insulation.
    You need to think in months, more likely years time span (as you happen to do with caps). Those marks are out of the box already with little to no user intervention. As cables get moved around, they will more than likely press and rub against bare metal some more. And marks get a bit deeper every time it happens. One fateful day inevitable may very well happen...

That of course depends how much fiddling around the insides is done. If it is only installed once and left alone till components die, maybe it would be fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys, everything in Australia is more expensive, even downloaded software, go figure.

I'll see if the supplier i use can get the Inwin PSU, if not the Antec Basiq is readily available.
    Being for work it is build and hopefully never touch again.
    Josh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
    You need to think in months, more likely years time span (as you happen to do with caps). Those marks are out of the box already with little to no user intervention. As cables get moved around, they will more than likely press and rub against bare metal some more. And marks get a bit deeper every time it happens. One fateful day inevitable may very well happen...

That of course depends how much fiddling around the insides is done. If it is only installed once and left alone till components die, maybe it would be fine.
    I was talking in terms of 5 years. I've never ever seen destroyed insulation on a PSU without a grommet, even after 5+ years - and that's over hundreds of PSUs. Junk caps, on the other hand, rarely last 5 years (and most bulge/leak by the age of 3).
    No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But I did:

http://www.img.pl/52dfab6ec87d6/

In fact took me about a minute to recreate this effect. Can easily add up over time as you fiddle around the case. Especially true if cables are short and you have to reach from top mounted PSU to lower bays.