Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Help] Power supply for a gaming build

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see, you're not the only one to say that, anyway I can't still understand why it's so xD
    I understand it kinda useless for desktop, but it's nonetheless another pro for other PSUs.
    Could the CS650M outweigh the V550 adding this feature? (Not to mention it's bigger, and i'm waiting for the store to answer me for the 550W model)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

Doesn't really matter its still a stupid test, its gonna work perfectly with a Haswell setup.

Also that shutdown under a transient response test isn't something that you're gonna see in real life, its nothing to worry about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Mask, I'll then go with the V550! But I'll wait a bit before buying, I want to see if XFX's PSUs lower their price a bit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FabTheZen View Post
    I'm worried about the protection that "kicked in" during the review at TPU, is that something I should be warned?
    Edit: I just found out that the V550 isn't haswell ready while the CS650 is... that's messed up. I really hoped the cooler master was...
    As Yojo2 said, the Cooler Master will definitely work with Intel's haswell tests. Even for mobile platforms.

Just about any power supply on the market that uses DC-DC converters on the secondary side will work. As those modules convert 12v into 3.3v & 5v respectively. So unless your system has crazy high 3.3v or 5v draw (which the Haswell requirements are low by comparison) the system won't have unexpected voltage shifts which go out of spec or shut down due to to high of a load.

As for the protection that kicked in, it occurred on the third transient test that they run which is the power supply off to fully loaded in a matter of milliseconds. Which is damn near impossible to make happen on an actual system.

Just a word of advice on the XFX units, avoid the 550w models they have as they're all old 80+ Bronze units based on the dated S12II-B design. The 650w models have all been good performers though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you for the clarifications! You've given me the tools to really understand why I don't have to worry about those scenarios! So what they meant by saying "unlikely to happen" was "it's unlikely to have a system that does that" (I thought there was a chance to get into that situations with any build).
    The store didn't answer about the cs550m, should I stay tuned for them to answer/have it in stock?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I' find surprising that no one have suggested the XFX TS 550W, which i suppose ( correct me if I'm wrong) is base on the seasonic g series.
    http://www.e-key.it/prod-alimentator...gold-51124.htm
    Downside, its not modular.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FabTheZen View Post
    Thank you for the clarifications! You've given me the tools to really understand why I don't have to worry about those scenarios! So what they meant by saying "unlikely to happen" was "it's unlikely to have a system that does that" (I thought there was a chance to get into that situations with any build).
    The store didn't answer about the cs550m, should I stay tuned for them to answer/have it in stock?
    I'd only give it as long as you're willing to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkeron View Post
    I' find surprising that no one have suggested the XFX TS 550W, which i suppose ( correct me if I'm wrong) is base on the seasonic g series.
    http://www.e-key.it/prod-alimentator...gold-51124.htm
    Downside, its not modular.
    XFX TS is untested. Even if it's based on the S12G design (the non-modular version of the G-Series) it doesn't mean it should be blindly recommended.
    It could still be a lemon of a unit.

A great example of this is the Arctic Cooling 500w reviewed by many sites in the past. It was based on Seasonic's S12II design which when reviewed under every other brand was a solid unit but Arctic Cooling decided to skimp hard and had a poorly built & performing unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for keeping the suggestions flowing! The CS550M is finally available, and it is very cheap, only 74,90€ (less than the S12G 450W). Unfortuantely I've read that it uses mediocre quality capacitors, so even the XFX 650W is better. By the way, it's back at a reasonable price, that is 72,50€.

Now it is a 2-way match: should I choose the XFX core 650W, for lower price, on-the-paper haswell compatibility and proven-by-reviews perfomance, or the V550, which is a great bang for the buck, better all-around performer but seems a bit lacking of reviews?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The XFX Core 650w is non-modular, less efficient, and louder.

If any of those factors could be a deal breaker for you; I would choose the V550S instead. Otherwise the XFX is still a very good unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    Arctic Cooling decided to skimp hard and had a poorly built & performing unit.
    Or Arctic Cooling isn't as good at cherry picking as Seasonic.
    Last edited by Jon Gerow; 02-04-2014 at 07:07 PM.