Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [Help] Power supply for a gaming build

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile [Help] Power supply for a gaming build

Hello everyone! I'm trying to build my own pc, and I'm kinda stuck on power supplies for at least a week: it's proving harder than I expected

My build is going to have an Intel i5-4670K CPU, Gigabyte Z87X-D3H mobo, 2x4GB of Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 1600MHz CL9, ASUS GTX 770 GPU.

What should I take as a trustworthy PSU to keep my rig always pumping? I'll use this pc for a lot of time, I'll work AND play there, so I'll need something really cool. I live in Italy so I'm short of options, since I can only buy from amazon.it and e-key.it, an italian store which I trust. My budget is around 80€, I can only break it if there are no options around that price.

I was looking at XFX Core Edition 650W/750W, then I started looking for lower powered PSUs with better certifications (80+ Gold), so I found the Cooler Master V550S that seemed cool, but I've read mixed opinions about it. So next logical step was to take a deep breath and start asking the good communities.
    I am waiting for your help! Thanks for reading!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rosewill capstone series (OEM Super Flower)

550w is more then enough

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unfortunately I don't have access to any Rosewill branded PSUs here, as I said I can only pick from those 2 stores. I'll link a list of 80+ gold PSUs that store sells, to sort it by price click on "Descrizione prodotto" and then click "Prezzo prodotto crescente": http://www.e-key.it/catalog.aspx?sea...atore+80++gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts

Seriously? I know, I know... I work for Corsair... but the CS650M is actually 5.40 less!

If they had the CS550M at an appropriately scaled price, I'd say no contest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Seriously? I know, I know... I work for Corsair... but the CS650M is actually 5.40 less!

If they had the CS550M at an appropriately scaled price, I'd say no contest.
    Going off one of the few review sites which have actually tested both units, the V550S is a better performing unit and only slightly louder but uses better capacitors and a better fan, and is built better.

I'd say it's no contest, the Cooler Master unit is better long term value.

The Corsair unit does have good value but the Cooler Master is worth the investment. Especially when the warranty is longer by 2 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you very much for your contributions so far! I am now asking e-key owners if they could sell a CS550M, at least to see their price.
    Tator Tot, by saying "better performing unit" you mean an all-around better one or only in efficiency?

More than efficiency, I care mostly about buying long-lasting and that doesn't fry in case of an external agent, like a blackout or a power surge.
    Do you think it's worth going with one of those two PSUs rather than the XFX in this case?
    Last edited by FabTheZen; 01-21-2014 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

The XFX Core Edition units are slightly better in terms of component selection and perform very well but the price is high so I wouldn't suggest them.

Like wise, I'm speaking in an all around fashion. Voltage regulation is better on all rails, and it has longer hold up time. Ripple is a good 20mv lower on the 12v rail and the transient load tests are all slightly better as well.
    Corsair does beat it in inrush current, as it's lower by 4A but that's the only field.

CS*50M units are by no means bad, but the Cooler Master V*50S units just perform better in almost all regards while also being built better and costing about the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm worried about the protection that "kicked in" during the review at TPU, is that something I should be warned?
    Edit: I just found out that the V550 isn't haswell ready while the CS650 is... that's messed up. I really hoped the cooler master was...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

CM VX50S are DC-DC based, so they're definitely "Haswell Ready" by every meaning of the term.
    Xeon X3440 @3,1GHz + GTX660 + 2x4GB @1650MHz CL9 + Corsair RM650