Thread: Power Supply for GTX 770

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Angry Power Supply for GTX 770

HI.. I have a problem with whether my PC is recvng enough power after recently installing a new MSI GTX 770 Graphic Card? The box says it requires 600W minimum Power so, I picked up a Corsair VS650W PSU. Am not sure if this is giving enough power to my card and machine as the game I used to play is no longer playable although, I recv no messages about 'lack of power' or booting problems? Is this is a software issue or could it be my hardware?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

MY specs are:

i5 4430
    12GB DDR3 RAM Vengeance
    B85 Mobo
    320GB WD HDD
    500 GB Seagate HDD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

Don't believe the box, a good 400W PSU is more then enough, because your PC takes less then 300W.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, with OC it might take over 300W, closer to 350W and most 400W PSUs lack enough PCI-E connectors for 770.

VS450 would be sufficient though, as it has 408W@12V and 2 6 + 2-pin connectors. 650W isn't really needed.

Also does anyone know what exactly platform is VS650 (and 550 too) anyway? Doesn't seem like GPA goes that far...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

What is happening?

How is the game "no longer playable"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by f1demon View Post
    HI.. I have a problem with whether my PC is recvng enough power after recently installing a new MSI GTX 770 Graphic Card? The box says it requires 600W minimum Power so, I picked up a Corsair VS650W PSU. Am not sure if this is giving enough power to my card and machine as the game I used to play is no longer playable although, I recv no messages about 'lack of power' or booting problems? Is this is a software issue or could it be my hardware?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

MY specs are:

i5 4430
    12GB DDR3 RAM Vengeance
    B85 Mobo
    320GB WD HDD
    500 GB Seagate HDD
    It's not a PSU issue, but a OS/driver one. You installed your new VGA and you probably installed new nVidia drivers that are really OS dependant.

This (occasional stuttering) happens to a LOT of people that installed the new revisions of nVidia drivers which obviously don't support older OS by default (Win 7 and older). I had the same issue with my GTX680, which is practically a re-badged GTX770 - pulled new drivers from nVidia site and game performance (at moments) just became horrible.

Depending on your OS there are several solutions ... so the next question(s) is(are):

Which OS?
    Which drivers?
    Which game?

Do you have MS .net Framework 4.5.1 installed (restart needed afterwards) ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you for many response!

To answer Johnnyguru first- The game freezes (Rome Total War2) after I click on Play. At first it used to atleast open to the first screen i.e. Sega copyrights etc but that, was about it and it would freeze there. Then after numerous force shutdowns it now give me a 'Steam error' saying- Failed to start game - app already running- when I checked Task Manager there is nothing running. Now, despite re-installing Steam and the game (twice!) it still gives the same message!

I don't und how the game ran 'well' under my old GPU and with this GTX 770 it doesn't even start!?

Ferky- My OS is Win 7 64-bit; Drivers- don't und what you mean? The game is Rome Total War 2! I know its had a lot of problems but this is a game that, used to run well on my rig and now I can't even start it!

How do I check which MS.net framework I have?

I can't help feeling you may be right reg the Nvidia drivers bec as soon as booted up after installing the card Nvidia Geforce was active and I installed those updates with the 332.xx drivers 'before' trying our the game. I guess I never anticipated this problem!

I've trawled all the forums and my mind's going nuts trying to figure out what to do!

Thanks for your feedback its really appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've just seen the TWR II support page and judging by the number of users with same issue it might not be even OS/driver related - this game has some serious multiple bugs. That is why they have reached #7 Patch (with a LOT of allegedly resolved issues).

Basically, what official support forum is suggesting is to deleting some game files (or even entire R II folder), after which Steam should rebuild it from scratch.

You might have this issues because of the replaced VGA, which might include some config files and folders. Make no mistake, if you can't even start the game, it's definitely a software problem (probably game - VGA driver related).

Btw .NET Framework can be checked in Control Panel>Programs and Features ... some version of it should be listed (ver. 3, ver. 4 etc.).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It say's .NET framework 4