Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Review Sample Pre-Screening discussion (from CS-M review discussion)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

The damage shown in the picture could be caused by the SSD. I wouldn't blame the psu without more details. A shortcut at the connector or malefunction of the SSD can cause serious heat. Even bad connection can do that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    How is that lucky?
    Because they have the equipment, you don't need to.
    And it's maintained. Have you calibreted your equipment in the last couple of months??

Quote Originally Posted by ferky View Post
    http://imageshack.us/a/img834/3019/eleu.jpg
    Interesting burnmark.
    Why does it look like the +5V part of the connector burned?
    I'd say there was something wrong with the drive to have caused that...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    Because they have the equipment, you don't need to.
    And it's maintained. Have you calibreted your equipment in the last couple of months??
    Yes we spend around 1.5-2k a year on maintenance and calibration. But you already knew that.

Have you found the real Cougar yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Corsair just needs to be added to everyone's cherry pick list thanks to the Europeans asking for them to.....which is a serious WTF. Writing reviews from a cherry picked chroma report and not doing any work......do they get paid/ad revenue off that shit?
    Just out of curiosity, which manufacturers do you believe truly send you random units they just pick out of inventory?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    Just out of curiosity, which manufacturers do you believe truly send you random units they just pick out of inventory?
    Just out of curiosity, why did that hit so close to home?

PS: Retailer drop ships really help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just out of curiosity, why did that hit so close to home?

PS: Retailer drop ships really help.
    If you want a retail unit we'll ship you one from the retailer of your choice dude, I have nothing to hide. But most of the people at other companies seem to indicate that this is pretty standard practice so I was wondering if I was misinformed.

It'd be stupid to send you cherry picked samples when any site could easily compare and contrast with a retail unit.

The embarrassing reason we have a presskit inventory at all is for inventory management. In the past when we didn't have presskit parts they'd get pulled and shipped to resellers instead of reviewers, and we couldn't easily keep inventory separate without separate part numbers.

Kind of stupid but it works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

personally I like the fact that you pre-test every unit that is sent for reviewing. This shows that you are organized and pay attention to details, contrary to some other companies that don't even bother to check if the sample works or not (DOA). What I wouldn't agree with would be if you changed deliberately parts in the PSU review samples (e.g. change Chinese caps with Japanese ones) in order to achieve a better image for the product or did some tricks to achieve higher efficiency (e.g. remove some parts like current transformers etc.)

Unfortunately with many rookie PSU reviewers out there and lots of them that don't even have a scope to check a PSU I think that a company should protect themselves from bad reviews and have some sort of evidence to go against a bad review or misinformative ones based on phony results. If I worked for a company I would do the same for every shipped out sample (not only PSUs). And in case this wasn't possible I would check at least if the sample is DOA or not.

ps. Happy New Year to all!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    If you want a retail unit we'll ship you one from the retailer of your choice dude, I have nothing to hide. But most of the people at other companies seem to indicate that this is pretty standard practice so I was wondering if I was misinformed.
    Depends on the company and representative...but most who I deal with do not cherry pick units as has been described in this thread. Among the ones I work with, the smaller the company the more likely they are to ship product from a retailer or not try to bin their product because they don't have the ability to (Corsair used to be this way, you guys didn't know what exactly was coming from Seasonic...you just shipped it to reviewers).

It also has a lot to do with WHO handles the sample. Yellowbeard used to handle my samples, solid guy. Now? Hell if I know who handles them, for long time shit just showed up at my door without notice.

It'd be stupid to send you cherry picked samples when any site could easily compare and contrast with a retail unit.
    But you still do........and not every site could or would. In fact, few can or will. Few have the resources I am lucky enough to have where I can and, do, go buy retail samples to check.

The embarrassing reason we have a presskit inventory at all is for inventory management. In the past when we didn't have presskit parts they'd get pulled and shipped to resellers instead of reviewers, and we couldn't easily keep inventory separate without separate part numbers.

Kind of stupid but it works.
    That isn't a problem....that is how it is supposed to work The product should be something that is going to retailers, not something setup specifically FOR review. If you set it up for review it is tainted.

Think of it this way. If you bought a new product from Best Buy that was opened, missing items, and had been altered would you assume that it was a NEW, unopened and untampered with product? No, you wouldn't. Same thing here. Sure, shrink wrap machines (etc) are cheap and easy to get and use but it's step one to obvious that you aren't getting retail product.

Quote Originally Posted by crmaris View Post
    personally I like the fact that you pre-test every unit that is sent for reviewing. This shows that you are organized and pay attention to details, contrary to some other companies that don't even bother to check if the sample works or not (DOA). What I wouldn't agree with would be if you changed deliberately parts in the PSU review samples (e.g. change Chinese caps with Japanese ones) in order to achieve a better image for the product or did some tricks to achieve higher efficiency (e.g. remove some parts like current transformers etc.)

Unfortunately with many rookie PSU reviewers out there and lots of them that don't even have a scope to check a PSU I think that a company should protect themselves from bad reviews and have some sort of evidence to go against a bad review or misinformative ones based on phony results. If I worked for a company I would do the same for every shipped out sample (not only PSUs). And in case this wasn't possible I would check at least if the sample is DOA or not.

ps. Happy New Year to all!!!!
    I guess, that is because you haven't been doing this long enough to deal with companies binning samples on you, and they are binning samples on you. If a company had a power supply line that was running routinely at 130mV on the 12v rail and they tested out a unit that cam in at 115mV...which do you think they are going to send when they are sitting on thousands of units with thousands of units in the channel? I can tell you from having done this, they are going to send you the 115mV and send all those 115mV to the reviewers and ship the 130mV to the channel.

Product that gets sent for testing is supposed to be random, if it isn't random then your testing results are biased. In this case, your biasing the review results and gaining unequal advantage in the market place.
    Last edited by Spectre; 01-02-2014 at 01:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Depends on the company and representative...but most who I deal with do not cherry pick units as has been described in this thread. Among the ones I work with, the smaller the company the more likely they are to ship product from a retailer or not try to bin their product because they don't have the ability to (Corsair used to be this way, you guys didn't know what exactly was coming from Seasonic...you just shipped it to reviewers).
    I've been here for almost 10 years. I was here when we started the PSU business, before even Steve Lee was brought in. As far back as I can remember it, we always handled presskit inventory separately.

It also has a lot to do with WHO handles the sample. Yellowbeard used to handle my samples, solid guy. Now? Hell if I know who handles them, for long time shit just showed up at my door without notice.
    Why was Mike handling sample requests? That's weird. Right now Rick Allen is the PR guy and all sample request orders go through him as far as I know. Aaron (relatively recently promoted to PSU PM from our engineering team) and Jon have a hand in helping him decide who gets what from a regional standpoint.

That isn't a problem....that is how it is supposed to work The product should be something that is going to retailers, not something setup specifically FOR review. If you set it up for review it is tainted.
    I understand what you're saying, and in theory, I agree.

The problem is that we need to work on the timing. For example, we want to have reviews out when the PSUs are available on day 1. Because channel availability at Newegg or whatever is based on the boat shipments from China (3-4 weeks), we typically fly a small number of review units over to our regional hubs instead of putting them on a boat. This gives reviewers a few weeks to review the unit and post their review on the announcement date. (note: obviously HardOCP does not typically review the PSU product on announcement dates, as you guys have a different schedule).

During this time, we're still taking orders and building up backlog so that when some of the units arrive at our hubs via ship, they go right out (First In, First Out). The orders they're taking are the retail part number.

If we fly over review units with that retail part number, and they hit the hub, then they go directly to retailers and we've just spent an assload of money to fly units over to guarantee Day 1 press reviews and failed at it. There are two options:

A) Manually make sure that each and every review sample has priority in the system (somewhat difficult for the dozens of review samples of each PSU we send out).

B) Assign the units we fly over a unique part number specific only to review units so they cannot be accidentally shipped to Newegg or Amazon or whoever. They remain in the review unit inventory for tracking and allocation.

Think of it this way. If you bought a new product from Best Buy that was opened, missing items, and had been altered would you assume that it was a NEW, unopened and untampered with product? No, you wouldn't. Same thing here. Sure, shrink wrap machines (etc) are cheap and easy to get and use but it's step one to obvious that you aren't getting retail product.
    We send reviewer's guides to you guys, too, to explain the feature set and positioning of each product. Maybe you throw them away, maybe you don't. But they go out because they tell the story of the product in a more in-depth way than the packaging and web content does. We don't put those in retail units, though there's nothing there we'd be embarrassed by.

I am confident that if you went and tested, say, 50 Corsair PSUs you purchased from a retail store, you'd find your presskit unit to be pretty representative of what the customer is likely to purchase. Some would be slightly better, some would be slightly worse. But we're not like cherry picking the top 5% or something.

But then again, I don't really expect you to believe me - after all, I work for the company. I understand that for this to work your job is to be skeptical and to test and verify things.

It's the same principal as Journalism being the 4th estate to keep the other three branches of government in-line. You're supposed to represent the customer and be consumer advocates.

As an enthusiast first and foremost, I totally understand that and appreciate your skepticism. But as a guy who works here and feels like he's hustling to get the right parts to the right guys at the right price at the right time, I sometimes feel like some of you guys can be needlessly pedantic about minutiae. Not you, really, as your complaints are process or strategy based and not so much product-centric, but some of the other guys who post here, especially a couple guys from an unnamed country overly concerned with silence.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Redbeard For This Useful Post:

Tazz (01-03-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

So you admit that you do have a special treatment for the reviewers?
    And why do you do that? Don't you think that it will backfire on you if it comes out?

Especially if your standing in the community drops...