Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Review Sample Pre-Screening discussion (from CS-M review discussion)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was thinking maybe pre-tested review sample with thumb drive (report) for EU and random retail sample for US. That was for satisfying both EU reviewers who don't have tester and US reviewers who want to minimize potential cherry picking. No extra work created in this way. It is the DOA review sample that made me think corsair used a less picked procedure.

Anyway that didn't happen, OK, no big difference.
    Last edited by ssshjp; 12-26-2013 at 05:35 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

is it possible to buy the sample from store like Newegg and let manufacturer pay for it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm the psu editor with ComputerBase.de. I use samples from the manufacturer, but we buy about 25% of the units, too. I'm really lucky that ComputerBase is one of the really big sites which can cover the expenses for my shopping wishes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Is there such a thing? Everyone of them have the capabilities of re-packing units to make us think the unit is random.
    Of course there is. Some people drop ship from retailers and others have people other than PR handle the shipments. Then there are the known cherry pickers, you just handle them differently. My favorite email from them is "that wasn't the serial number we sent" to which you just say "I know, I bought it", flusters them and its fun.

Corsair just needs to be added to everyone's cherry pick list thanks to the Europeans asking for them to.....which is a serious WTF. Writing reviews from a cherry picked chroma report and not doing any work......do they get paid/ad revenue off that shit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    Writing reviews from a cherry picked chroma report and not doing any work......do they get paid/ad revenue off that shit?
    Of course.

I've been trying to get some of these guys in the EU to buy their own tester. At least a SunMoon. But the attitude is either "we don't have enough readers that are interested in PSUs" or "we make plenty of money off writing reviews based on XXX" that it's pretty much always shot down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

We Europeans are lucky anyway. We've got the Chromas of Listan (be quiet!), Enermax, Cooler Master and Maxpoint. Of course, you need to know what you are doing and some companies might not be exactly happy when the competition gets the full measurement data in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Of course.

I've been trying to get some of these guys in the EU to buy their own tester. At least a SunMoon. But the attitude is either "we don't have enough readers that are interested in PSUs" or "we make plenty of money off writing reviews based on XXX" that it's pretty much always shot down.
    Well I have clearly been doing it wrong.

Think of the number of power supplies we could get through if we never tested them.......

Quote Originally Posted by Philipus II View Post
    We Europeans are lucky anyway. We've got the Chromas of Listan (be quiet!), Enermax, Cooler Master and Maxpoint. Of course, you need to know what you are doing and some companies might not be exactly happy when the competition gets the full measurement data in advance.
    How is that lucky?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, ask nicely and you can use the equipment for free. The equipment is usually well maintained and high end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just as a small digression ... what are the chances, that a reviewer does test with let's say Sun Moon or mid-end Chroma unit and runs the scope tests, and still has a PSU that doesn't run on real-life configuration?

PG is one of the factors, but is it possible that something else gets in the way of a system running successfully ?

PSU/MBO compatibility is also one of those factors, but it seems that there are a few more things that need consideration.

For example, TX650 was running for 3 years perfectly in a rig and then one day user buys an Intel SSD 530 and just after few minutes of running and trying to set up Win installation, this happens:

Computer stars to get smelly and catches fire and PSU's SATA connector completely melts down and SSD is ruined of course.

Just for info, the mentioned system if basically capable of an sub-300W power consumption.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Philipus II View Post
    Well, ask nicely and you can use the equipment for free. The equipment is usually well maintained and high end.
    Well I guess what you guys call lucky I would call a liability, dependence, and unwieldy.