Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seasonic Platinum PSU - Design flaw?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs down Seasonic Platinum PSU - Design flaw?

A friend's PSU died so I gave him my PCP&C Silencer 910.

I ordered a Seasonic SS-660XP (910W is overkill) and found that it would not power on my PC, though the motherboard power LED is illuminated.
    Nothing! The system/VGA cooling fans don't even twitch. It's as if I hit the power button with the system unplugged.

I swapped my GTX780 video card for an old 9600GT and it started up perfectly. I have to unplug the power supply for about 5 seconds after trying the GTX780
    Thinking, "had I damaged my video card somehow?," I tested the 780 in another system -- no problems at all.

So I RMA'd the power supply and got another new SS-660XP.

Intel i7 2600K, stock speed
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Single EVGA Geforce GTX 780 SC

I'm an engineer and have built over 70 systems, professionally and for myself, so I can confidently confirm that everything is connected properly. I tried the other PCIe slot without luck and updated the motherboard BIOS, just in case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is a tricky one to diagnose.
    660w certainly should be plenty to power up that machine. I'm assuming the machine worked perfectly with the old PCP&C unit and had the 780 in it at the time?

Making the (possibly rash) assumption that the answers are a yes, the only thing I can think of is an incompatibility between the PSU and the motherboard. I've seen such things happen on very rare occasions. The motherboard and PSU simply fail to agree on a precise level the Power Good line needs to hit or the motherboard doesn't send the power on signal in a way the PSU likes, this is a nightmare to diagnose as the PSU will work fine on other boards, and the board will also work fine when powered by a different PSU. If this is the case, you will need to negotiate with Seasonic to see if they can provide you with a unit that has a different design as it is likely every example of that model will also fail to power your board.

If it were an issue with the PSU protection circuits having a heart attack at the start-up draw of the 780, you'd see the fans twitch on power up before the protection pulls the plug on everything.

Your only other option is to consider changing motherboards. I keep hearing about issues with P8P67 boards from Asus, it's why I went ASRock for my board.
    Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
    I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I read your post, Sivar, and I did a little testing. I'm willing to bet it's an incompatibility problem between the motherboard and the power supply, and probably the motherboard being the culprit.

I've two desktops in our house with the following specs:

My rig:
    Asus Maximus VI Gene, Intel 4770K, 16GB Samsung 30nm RAM (4 x 4GB), Samsung 512GB 840 Pro, Gigabyte GTX 780, Seasonic SS-860XP

Wife's rig:
    Asus Maximus V Gene, Intel 3570k, 8GB Corsair DDR3-1600 RAM (2 x 4GB), Intel 250GB 510 SSD, Sapphire 6950, Seasonic SS-660XP

Now, since my wife's setup is very similar to yours, Sivar, I pulled her 6950 out and stuck in my GTX 780.....and it fired right up, no hesitation. And in its "original" setup, with the 6950, it's never given her a moment of grief.

So, I'd bet there's a problem between the ps and mb, with the mb being the culprit. IMHO.
    A lot of people ask me if I were shipwrecked and could only have one book, what would it be? I always say 'How to Build a Boat.'
    - Stephen Wright

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
    - Brooks Atkinson

4. The Following User Says Thank You to C'DaleRider For This Useful Post:

Sivar (12-25-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the PSU starts up the system in one configuration and then not the other, then please check to see if the item that is different is ok or not. The PSU provides 12V and it is then up to the MB and PSU to communicate properly to start up. The PSU will not care which VGA is in use, unless of course if the power requirement is not met. But in this case, the 660w should be sufficient.

Please make sure the BIOS is up to date and all the StandBy energy savings modes are enabled. Also please check that all connectors are properly secured.

Lately we have seen quite a few instances where with Asus MBs the BIOS needs to be updated for the system to boot up properly.

If you RMA'd the unit and got a new one, this does not necessarily mean the unit was tested. Not all the time are each unit tested, sometimes the service center will send out a new unit as service.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Disassemble the PC you are using and reassemble it.
    Don't ask why or what I'm thinking, just do it.

PS: external (USB) Components with it's own powersupply??
    Like printer or external HDD?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up Addendum

Indeed, the same computer using the PCP&C power supply does work perfectly.

I have verified the EVGA GTX 780 video card in another system (and of course in the problem system, with a different power supply).

As I mentioned, I updated the BIOS, but no updates have been posted since 2012. If it were a motherboard/BIOS incompatibility issue, however, I would think that the issue would not go away when I use the 9600GT video card. Any theories? I am really curious about this one.

As a side-note, I am seriously impressed by the quality of posts on this forum. It's as if JonnyGURU were designed to be the diametric opposite of Tom's Hardware or Yahoo Answers. I've visited Anandtech since it was on Geocities and am surprised I haven't heard of this site before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by C'DaleRider View Post
    Now, since my wife's setup is very similar to yours, Sivar, I pulled her 6950 out and stuck in my GTX 780.....and it fired right up, no hesitation. And in its "original" setup, with the 6950, it's never given her a moment of grief.
    I really appreciate your actually testing your own similar hardware in another computer.
    I'm not prepared to change motherboards, so I've ordered a Rosewill Silent Night 500. It is a re-badge of the Kingwin STR-500 which was released in 2011, the same year as my motherboard was released. My hope is that it was tested with the weird motherboards of the era.

If this doesn't work out, I'll just have to get a new board and chalk this up as the third weirdest hardware problem I've ever seen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
    As a side-note, I am seriously impressed by the quality of posts on this forum. It's as if JonnyGURU were designed to be the diametric opposite of Tom's Hardware or Yahoo Answers.
    That's not saying much... but... thanks?

I've visited Anandtech since it was on Geocities and am surprised I haven't heard of this site before.
    That's because all of the Elite and Lifer members like me, etc. stopped posting on Anantech some time around 2005.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A friend's PSU died so I gave him my PCP&C Silencer 910.

I ordered a Seasonic SS-660XP (910W is overkill) and found that it would not power on my PC, though the motherboard power LED is illuminated.
    Nothing! The system/VGA cooling fans don't even twitch. It's as if I hit the power button with the system unplugged.

I swapped my GTX780 video card for an old 9600GT and it started up perfectly. I have to unplug the power supply for about 5 seconds after trying the GTX780
    Thinking, "had I damaged my video card somehow?," I tested the 780 in another system -- no problems at all.

So I RMA'd the power supply and got another new SS-660XP.

Intel i7 2600K, stock speed
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Single EVGA Geforce GTX 780 SC

I'm an engineer and have built over 70 systems, professionally and for myself, so I can confidently confirm that everything is connected properly. I tried the other PCIe slot without luck and updated the motherboard BIOS, just in case.
    Very strange problem you've got there ...

If I may ask one simple question, just for info ... What kind of 8-pin PCIe cable did you use on GTX780, the one on the left (red) or the one on the right (blue)?