Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unlucky Vista - out you go!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Arrrgh!! Stop the Vista!!!

So I got a couple PC review samples. Sorry guys... side gig. Need to pay the bills. Can't publish results.

These PC's are otherwise very capable low end machines, but they run Vista.

OH MY GOD PUT A BULLET IN THE CHAMBER AND PUT IT TO MY HEAD NOW!!!!

Vista is so bloated, it cut the performance of these machines in half... wait... fourth! I heard a rattling noise and thought it was a bearing in a fan. But after stopping all of the fans, I realized it was the HDD grinding away the entire time the machine was running.

VISTA SUCKS!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And yet you might not have a AMD CPU with Cool 'n' Quiet running Vista x64 - OR there would be total disaster!! (unless your motherboard mfg has issued a new BIOS release with this fix, which very few have)

BTW, out of curiosity Jon whats your idle RAM usage with Vista and which version is it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Let me fire it back up and get back with you on that. I shut it down and unplugged it out of disgust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Hovers between 415 and 430MB completely idle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kab View Post

BTW, out of curiosity Jon whats your idle RAM usage with Vista and which version is it?
    It simply releases the RAM back to other programs when needed it doesn't lock it out like shared memory. This is a non-issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Ah... there you go.

It's still slow as shit. The hard drive is constantly running.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Ah... there you go.

It's still slow as shit. The hard drive is constantly running.
    Three common ones I remember from testing here at work:

1) Page file. If you are below ~1.5GB we noticed a fair amount of page file usage.
    2) Autoindexing.
    3) Automatic Defrag being on.

It could be one or all 3 of those.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    It simply releases the RAM back to other programs when needed it doesn't lock it out like shared memory. This is a non-issue.
    Not that I think its related to Jon's problem, but I don't think so. Vista has a memory footprint of 480-700MB depending on your GUI settings. I dealt with this around mid November when I first experienced heavy RAM usage with nothing but basic settings running post boot, and as if no one knows, its full of bugs. There are MSDN members that could not get RTM in mid Jan to bootup and run (instant locking) when having zilch hardware problems and all other OSes ran fine. Power save settings are totally screwed up in a deep mess, just like WMP and Movie Maker is in too many ways. Minor hardware changes can disrupt the system behavior completely requiring new drivers or no boot. Vista uses more power on the same hardware and is much more sensitive to slight corruptions or instabilities in RAM. There are reviews stating this with one little game and you're already running over 1.3GB, so volatile memory is not released back from the initial footprint, it just builds until it cramps it all up with huge performance losses. If the RAM is constrained for required usage then even XP optimized to adapt and use less than what it would if there was ample RAM available. Vista may do that, I'll never know as I have more than enough for it to grumble up. But Vista is still in beta by far, so its by no way as simple as its definitely this or that fix.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

In a word, no. VISTA extremely aggressively precaches in system memory to predict what you will be using. Free memory is wasted memory if the OS or a program is going to have to pull from the hard drive given the extreme difference in latencies between RAM and hard drive. If you need something VISTA releases teh pre-cache in favor of what you called.

As for the rest of that mess.

Corrupted/bad RAM is not VISTA's fault.
    Changing components and needing new drivers is not VISTA's fault.
    If a computer has 1.3GB of RAM available there is no reason to release it back yet...it hasn't all been used.

Quote Originally Posted by Kab View Post
    Not that I think its related to Jon's problem, but I don't think so. Vista has a memory footprint of 480-700MB depending on your GUI settings. I dealt with this around mid November when I first experienced heavy RAM usage with nothing but basic settings running post boot, and as if no one knows, its full of bugs. There are MSDN members that could not get RTM in mid Jan to bootup and run (instant locking) when having zilch hardware problems and all other OSes ran fine. Power save settings are totally screwed up in a deep mess, just like WMP and Movie Maker is in too many ways. Minor hardware changes can disrupt the system behavior completely requiring new drivers or no boot. Vista uses more power on the same hardware and is much more sensitive to slight corruptions or instabilities in RAM. There are reviews stating this with one little game and you're already running over 1.3GB, so volatile memory is not released back from the initial footprint, it just builds until it cramps it all up with huge performance losses. If the RAM is constrained for required usage then even XP optimized to adapt and use less than what it would if there was ample RAM available. Vista may do that, I'll never know as I have more than enough for it to grumble up. But Vista is still in beta by far, so its by no way as simple as its definitely this or that fix.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats not even what I'm talking about and its absolutely nothing to do with pre-caching. The S footprint is high to cover eye candy, and what you said about RAM from the initial footprint being released when required, doesn't occur. If you open a few windows and run out of memory, while running a program what happens? It thrashes for endless minutes and doesn't change screens, good optimization eh. Ever started up solitaire and have it run 40+MB? http://koti.mbnet.fi/fizle/vista_pasianssi.jpg

No thats not Vistas fault either where its just a known resource hog. Tell me something I don't know. Vista is a pig that doesn't deliver the pork as a MSDN member put it a few weeks back.