Thread: Pop or tick sound from PSU when turning on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Pop or tick sound from PSU when turning on

Hi.

I've got a new Cooler Master 620w Silent Pro M2 in one of my computers that makes a bit of a "tick" or "pop" sound when the computer is turned on. I have no idea what it is, and I don't know if it's indicative of a problem in any way. The fan works normally, and there aren't any smells or smoke. There aren't any other sounds from the PSU other than the normal fan sounds. The computer works fine, and nothing's been fried in the time I've used it. Still, I've turned it off for the moment until I can find out for sure what the sound is.

I've looked around on other forums, and there were others who have reported the same sort of "pop" when turning on or off, with a couple of replies indicating that it could be the sound of a relay or an inductor inside of the PSU.

Any idea what I'm hearing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's probably a Relay. Some Power supplies have a Relay which bypasses the NTC Thermistor after the PSU starts to improve efficiency. I've seen other PSUs that also make a relay click when they turn on.
    No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I (probably) don't have to worry about my PSU exploding and setting my room on fire? Cool.

Thanks for the reply. I've just never heard a PSU make a sound like mine did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I doubt if its anything to worry about. The relays are usually only present on more efficient PSUs, and some relays have a more pronounced click than others, so you won't hear it on most PSUs.
    No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is likely the inrush current charging the PSU up. Is nasty for the ears, but no impact on the PSU.

if you turn off, the computer for 2 minutes and then turn it on again (not a software restart) and the noise is not there, then you got the proof. PSUs don't discharge that fast, means this kind of restart does not need to recharge the PSU so much,