Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Seasonic Platinum 1000W issue?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Seasonic Platinum 1000W issue?

Hi all, i seem to have an issue with my power supply, a Seasonic Platinum 1000W , it has been working flawlessy so far but now it sometimes won't even boot

if i let the power cord plugged to the wall while the PC is shut down, and i try to power it up sometime later on it doesn't boot anymore, it's not like it boots and shuts down, it's like the PSU wasn't being feeded by electricity at all

however if i unplug everything when i shut down the PC and i plug it back on when i want to power up it works fine

first i thought it was the capacitors of the motherboard being charged with static as i was able to hear a buzz off them, but i swapped motherboards and it's still behaving this way

now my guess is the PSU itself getting chraged all the way with static electric and hence refusing to even start due some kind of protection?

and tip/advice is welcome, this is the first time i ever run across into something like this , and i've been years experienced hardware overclocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not sure why this thing happened, but you should RMA it.
    It's been a hard day's night and I've been working like a dog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    Not sure why this thing happened, but you should RMA it.
    I appreciate your input

i'm hoping however if someone could share if experienced this kind of issue with his PSU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

It does seem like a misfiring protection, probably OCP or OTP. Does the CPU fan twitch (moving even a millimeter qualifies) when you try to power up your rig? If so, it's most definitely a protection kicking in.

Have you tried running with absolute minimum hardware connected (just the MoBo, CPU and RAM, basic graphics - preferably integrated)? Additionally, you could try running the minimum hardware out of your case, to check for any grounding issues. It could also be that something's wrong with the 5VSB line. Do you have a multimeter handy? Do you have several power-hungry USB peripherals that you keep connected before powering up?
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
    It does seem like a misfiring protection, probably OCP or OTP. Does the CPU fan twitch (moving even a millimeter qualifies) when you try to power up your rig? If so, it's most definitely a protection kicking in.

Have you tried running with absolute minimum hardware connected (just the MoBo, CPU and RAM, basic graphics - preferably integrated)? Additionally, you could try running the minimum hardware out of your case, to check for any grounding issues. It could also be that something's wrong with the 5VSB line. Do you have a multimeter handy? Do you have several power-hungry USB peripherals that you keep connected before powering up?

The CPU fan doesn't move at all, neither the motherboard, when this happens it's like i was pressing the start button of the computer while no power cord is attached to the PSU

I tried several combinations, minimum hardware, the computer out of a case to verify if it was shorting to ground, even i moved my PC from my room to living-room to conect it to diferent wall and it does the same

It only happens when i left the power cord plugged to the wall (by powerstrip) , i only have the computer + monitor + mobile charger connected to the powerstrip, when i forgot to switch it off and try to power up the PC again later on is when this thing occur

as for USB devices, not really, ocassionally i can leave my external USB hard drive but it has its own AC connector

i have a multimeter at my work place, what do you suggest i should measure?

thank you very much

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

It'd be interesting to see the 5VSB voltage after several hours of stand-by regime (no active cooling). The 5VSB circuitry may be overheating and/or faulty, or the secondary/housekeeping IC sense line is screwed up for some reason. You'd need to measure the voltage between the pin on the purple wire and any one of the black ones on the 24-pin main ATX connector. You can see it's location in the linked image. It should read between 4.75 and 5.25V. If there are obvious fluctuations (more than 0.01V in magnitude, and not caused by unsteady hands) or the voltage is outside the required range, there's your reason to RMA. Otherwise, it's gremlins (large inrush current for whatever reason, faulty control IC(s), etc) and you should probably RMA anyway...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try it without the external hdd attached. You may be getting voltage leaking from the HDD PSU into the 5V standby circuit. A number of PSUs really hate that.
    Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
    I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

That's less likely, since an external HDD with it's own power adapter is usually a 3.5" disk, and the adapter supplies 12V for motor and spindle arm actuator operation.

I have seen powered USB hubs without a blocking diode, which lets their power adapter inject current into whatever is supposed to be powering the USB port the hub is connected to. If it happens to be 5VSB, this is particularly problematic, since hub power adapters are usually capable of at least 2A of output.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quite a number of Seasonic XP/XMs here in China suffered from similar issues, and that combined with faulty KM2 units have severely stained Seasonic's reputation here. I think the problem is related to protections.
    It's been a hard day's night and I've been working like a dog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got the same issue as you, I use Seasonic X-series gold 760W. I try to switch my power supply with another computers and same thing happen, I have to unplug and plug it back to power up. I also try to RMA (I live in Thailand) and they told me that they did not found any issue. So I have to bring it back. I think, I will try to RMA again after read this forum.