Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Speak for yourself mate!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Badcaps is down and jonnyguru.com gets a small invasion.
    Worth a good looking over. http://www.badcaps.net/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hahaha yes it is. well at least it is still there otherwise there wouldnt be that message.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GalvanizedYankee View Post
    Topcat has started selling SamXon caps and they seem to be one of the better Chinese offerings and will be less expensive than RubyCon or UCC, excuse me if you already realize this.
    Thanks, didn't know I saw some Rubycons on ebay for $10 2 days ago but will look around later for better.

No insult taken at all!!.. did it seem that way to you? Adam is very close actually and you couldn't be much older than me, believe me

jonnyGURU: If my wife hears such things she comes out with tunes like "ohhh poor baby.. come here now shweeety"

Super Nade: Its not I'm afraid.

willawake: Yes 250W running a smooth AMD K6 in a micro tower. You not read the bit where I mention its 6 years old? Still unused though but for a few times. I might mod it if I feel lucky enough to try it after so long.

I'll post during daytime, the cam is simply crap at night despite the nightshot wow abilities mentioned, that I've never experienced I've also put all the system back together earlier now and don't feel daring enough to wrestle 10minutes squeezing the screwdriver through the minute spaces still available inside the case. For one, not even two of my fingers fit through!

Thanks guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FS I typed a full reply w/pics and then my browser screws up!!

Quick question: I can't look at the caps or PSU closely for even a second without my eyes getting bloodshot and sore. I can smell ammonia, or something similar, I'm not kidding. It all stinks and there are absolutely no leaks, or bulges anywhere completely looking fine. I've just ran it on the system perfectly with no rail falling below its spec. Any idea's as to what this is?

I'm feeling as if there's gas being given off.. just the feeling my eyes get when I go near thats all. Its not been used for a year. Maybe the electrolytic solution is already converted to gas and just waiting for the caps to blow ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Caps can vent very slowly, many are hidden under the wiring harness at the pcb. The smell of a dog fart or ammonia is a bad sign. Electrolytic capacitors can age and go bad in storage. Five year old motherboards that are NOS have been opened to find leaking caps...T'is true.

Traces of copper in the aluminum foil react with poorly stabilized electrolyte to form hydrogen gas along with other stinky gases. Nipponese caps have 99.99% pure aluminum foil used in their production and the proper additive package is in the electrolyte. Most Chinese caps have 97.5% aluminum foil and the additive package is too expensive so it is stretched by reducing the amount used.
    Plus we must consider the assembly enviroment. Is it moisture and dirt free.? Not so much so in China I'm afraid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem is, with my medics experience I'd initially analyze it to be hydrogen being leaked but hydrogen under these temperatures and pressures is odorless; or yes simply "egg fart" aka Hydrogen Sulphide. Maybe the electrical pressure at one stage was too much for the dielectric (oxide) and subsequently damaged it by exceeding the dielectric strength.. I don't know. All the PSU smells of it no matter which part one touches, yet there's absolutely no bulge, crack or opening leak anywhere- all is tightly sealed and shiny yet, I can see it all. You also can't smell anything unless you smell the fan exit, or touch the PSU aswell. I've seen all the caps on the PCB.

The PSU has been inside an aluminuim tower case in a room corner that would reach -2C at the lowest and 15C at the max. The photos I took with a camera phone I purchased 3months back from the last time I was in the UK (a SPV M700) were beyond ridiculous and worthless to continue. To show you the best of what was possible so you know how bad they were:

ADT-300
    300W Max rated 250W
    Single 80mm fan
    2x Al heatinks
    Primary caps: 2x MK 85℃ 330µF 200V 47mm (H) x 18.5mm (D)
    Secondary caps: 2x Fuhjjyu 1000uF 10V 20mm (H) x 8.5mm (D)
    Another cap right behind the 12V line: Fuhjjyu 1650uF 16V 25mm (H) x 8.5mm (D)
    All Fuhjjyu mentioned so far are also labelled TNR.
    Errr.. (where's everything else gone!)
    All other smaller caps are also Fuhjjyu but TMRs and black.
    All caps except the primary are 105℃ rated

Input:
    115V~7A 60Hz
    230V~4A 50Hz
    Output:
    +3.3V - 14A
    +5V - 30A
    +12V - 10A
    -5V - 0.5A
    -12V - 0.5A
    +5VSB - 2.0A
    +5V & +3.3V total 160W

Any idea's about them then?

------------------
    GalvanizedYankee:
    You mention Nipponese caps.. what about Evox Rifa ones?
    I have some of those back home I'm sure, and the specs are as follows:

All welded design with tinned copper leads (low ESR, ESL) with v.low electrolytic gas diffusion rate.
    1–4700μF
    10–450 VDC
    Long life > 30 years at 50°C
    –40 to +125°C rated
    C.tolerance is –10 to +30%
    5000 h at 0V +105°C or +40°C 10 years shell life

Thats all I recall. Size is 20mm (H) x 10mm (D)

------------------
    Here's the Al. radial electrolytic capacitor, low ESR failure article where everything of the mockup was explained, if you haven't already seen it: Low-ESR Aluminum Electrolytic Failures Linked to Taiwanese Raw Material Problems
    On September 13, 2002, it was reported to Passive Component Industry Magazine by contacts in Japan that an unusually high rate of failures of low-ESR aluminum electrolytic capacitors produced in Taiwan by Lelon Electronics, Luxon Electronics, and other aluminum capacitor manufacturers had been traced to a problem with an aqueous electrolyte that had been used throughout the Taiwanese electrolytic capacitor industry......<continued in the link>

Thanks <grin>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well those MK caps are certainly not panasonic, I would just treat them as an off-brand. still the primaries rarely fail.

you might find this article interesting
    http://www.dfrsolutions.com/Articles...an.Helmold.pdf

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Read this thread...

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3155
    I spent a half-hour looking for a pdf posted by davmax last year on the testing of capacitor foil vs electrolyte. Shoot! Could not find it.
    EDIT: will linked it above me. Hahaha!

I would post better pics over at badcaps and get direct, off the top of their heads answers. I have recapped one BioStar MB, one Work Power PSU and two Ti graphics cards. All came back to life. I did all my practice on a hard to solder ASUS MB. I'm working surface mounted soldering skills now. That's a tough one for me to learn.

The basic info on recapping a PSU would be to leave the primary caps be as they rarely go bad, all the caps 6mm in diameter or smaller let be and replace all 8mm or larger. Capacitance and voltage can be increased but never decreased, use low ESR caps. If 16V caps are serving the 5.5V rail, these can have the voltage spec decreased.

Your PSU has been run at very low temps, this may have effected the way the failure has manifested itself. Running at low temps can / will drive caps out of spec. Electrolytic caps do have a lower temp spec, it's either 0c or 10C. Sometimes warming up dried out caps with a hair dryer will kick their little asses into working again. Dead boards have been forced to POST / boot this way. This is just part of diagnostics and NOT a fix.

Your caps that have a 30 life at 50C must be solid state. That's crazy! With a ceiling of 125C, hahaha...That's the max for most FETs, after that solder melts.
    Last edited by GalvanizedYankee; 02-12-2007 at 04:33 PM. Reason: NOTED

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks to both for the links Had read bits of one times earlier but without finishing and never found it again.

Being on business away from US, I doubt I'll be buying a cam just to take pics of these now as a one off. I'm fairly sure its the caps slowly failing in their own strange way, as my system runs off another 150W PSU perfectly but fails to go past POST with this PSU. Everything is perfect elsewhere hence my dissectional voyage

The Evox caps are standard aluminium canned electrolytic capacitors built for extremely severe conditions, efficient heat transfer away from the Hot Spot and very high ripple currents. The documents with them state they've been through the same electrical and mechanical testing procedures like all other industry caps do i.e. leakage current, capacitance, impedance, ESR, tan delta, torque test of mounting stud etc. If they're operated at voltages below their rated value then the reduced stress and lower leakage current is said to give an improvement in the life expectancy too! It was a friend at AMD engineering who left them at mine a while back. Here's a schematic from two of the supplied docs I've scanned and put together into a PDF. I'll be recapping them soon.

Last edited by Kab; 02-12-2007 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Attachment was too small so had to upload it :(