Thanked in
    206 Posts

Newegg fan boy = TigerDirect troll.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, again totally false.

I just previously posted that that about half the time you can find as good or better deals at Amazon,Provantage, and Microcenter.

neither an irrational fanboy nor troll.

I just gave three examples(Wanamaker's, target,and Costco) ...and could come up with a dozen more from history...

Sears, JCpenny, Walmart, Ford, Kellogs, on and on...of companies that prospered under the values of guaranteeing actual value...and often who have declined precipitously when they abandoned those business principles.

You resorted to name calling.

Who is the Troll?

PS...I would think you would support this view on honest value...or has Corsair joined those who are giving up on the concept.

PSS...As I mentioned, I have not dealt with Tiger for some years.

So I visited their return policy page.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/help/return.asp

Yup, pretty much as I remembered it. So many conditions and loop-holes that you can drive a Mac truck through it.

No doubt some people abuse a liberal return policy...but some companies do their best to give the customer a fair shake, others look for exclusions and exemptions to avoid it.

I stand by my original thesis...too many other great sources to waste my time and aggravation dealing with sub-standard ones.
    Last edited by mdk777; 08-13-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    Yeah, I filter out anything that isn't 80+ Bronze rated, so I don't even see the junk.

But it is a matter of perception and intention.

Newegg sells some pretty cheap crap because people demand it...but they sell much better stuff at only a little higher and try to educate people...a dozen ways on the site.

Tiger sells some medium quality stuff and then attempts to convince people that their knock off crap is just as good at maybe 20-30% less. In reality it is 90% less and shouldn't be used at all.
    I still don't see where Newegg is taking the high ground.

BOTH Newegg and Tiger have the intention of making more sales.

Since Newegg has better product filters that you take full advantage of, your perception of them may be a bit off.

Both companies "sells some pretty cheap crap because people demand it."

BTW I mentioned Diablotek earlier. IIRC TD was one of the first places those showed up. They no longer seem to have any stand-alone Diablotek PSUs in-stock. Newegg currently have 10 different Diablotek PSUs in-stock.

Regarding promotions and resellers trying to educate/convince shoppers, I think it depends on the brand wanting to promote their product, and offering Newegg or Tiger Direct (or any other reseller) incentives of some sort (rebates, marketing funds, etc.) in exchange for pushing their product. So if you see some product highlighted in a Newegg Newsletter email, don't think they are cutting their margins and recommending some premium product to you because of good intentions. They likely got paid to do that, and the manufacturer is probably taking the hit to the bottom line.
    Zap
    Clan of the Bloody Fist

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zap For This Useful Post:

ehume (08-13-2013), Jon Gerow (08-13-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, as i mentioned, I am not a fan-boy of Newegg.

They like all companies certainly have their flaws.

I had horrible experience with Tiger and good with Newegg.

but companies change over time...Some get better and some get worse.

I won't disagree that Newegg is starting to annoy me with their excess emails and overextending into an Amazon like consolidator of other sites (furniture, tires et. al.)

Perhaps Tiger has reformed their abusive and dismissive customer service/refusal to stand behind their products, since I stopped dealing with them.

Anything is possible.

But history shows getting worse and not better is the norm.

Examples of companies built on great value that decline as they get larger are predominant.

Southwest Airlines, and Home Depot come to mind as companies that I have recently watched first hand spiral downward.

Maybe Tiger has improved since I dealt with them, but reading their return policy page does nothing to convince me of this.

Regarding promotions and resellers trying to educate/convince shoppers,
    Yeah, I was talking about things like allowing customer reviews, clear links to OEM sites, detailed and fairly accurate product descriptions(basically any detail the OEM is willing to provide is listed) extensive and detailed pictures(helpful for example to figure out if a HD cage is detachable from a case etc..etc). I don't really use much but might be helpful to others include their video reviews and eggpert section.

In addition to the great filters!!
    All in all they provide a pretty extensive supply of detailed information. But now I sound like a fan.

I'm a big fan of transparency, honesty, and free flow of information.
    I support Newegg when they exhibit these values...not the other way around!! When they stop providing truth and value, I will stop shopping there, just like I have mostly given up on HomeDepot(total lack of service).
    Last edited by mdk777; 08-13-2013 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

I was kind of kidding about the troll comment, but Zap is correct. Both Newegg and Tiger are in the business to EARN customers. Not alienate them. Clearly you've had bad experiences. I have too, although not to the degree that you seem to have had. In fact, I've had bad experiences with both Newegg, Tiger AND Amazon. Probably equally across the board. But you still make it sound like Tiger is out to screw most people. As far as getting better or worse... I never really had a HORRIBLE experience with them. Not anything that wasn't easily remedied of course, but I hear that since the Fiorentino brothers were "let go" things have gotten better for both employees and customers.

As for the return policy: Those typically are, and should be, as strict as possible because you do tend to have a number of "wounded monitor children" out there that will take advantage of any kind of loop hole to make a big deal out of something that wasn't the reseller's fault. TBH: I returned an opened laptop to Tiger simply because "it sucked" (HP... go figure) and this was after giving it a couple weeks to "grow on me" and they STILL took it back, full refund, no restocking fee... DESPITE what the "return policy" stated. On the other hand, I've had Newegg charge me "rush delivery", fell short on that rush because it was a week before a major holiday and was running at reduced staff and ended up getting me my package not early... not on time... but late. It's not my fault and certainly not my problem if you're short staffed for the holidays. Tell your customer ahead of time and don't make rush delivery an option if you know you can't follow through.

See... we can all bitch all day about all of the resellers out there. I can't say you don't have the right to be angry... or even bitter... or even bitterly angry 10 years after the fact. But sometimes it's pretty clear to the people around you when objectivity has gone out the window because of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello Zap,
    Alright, I build web surfer/streaming computers for friends, family and friends of friends, largely for a hobby, though I started out building gaming rigs.
    Generally I do not break even.
    fwiw I use CX430 or Seasonic SS 350ET for the most part, when I joined the form had no idea how or what to choose.
    Now, while I price shop, I mostly know what I am getting.
    The Sentey slim case came with a power supply, so I had to ask. Silverstone is an inch shorter so at the same price as the Seasonic won the choice. SFX gets completed when cheaping out. newegg Biostar motherboard and RAM combo for $64..

Retailers for the most part seem ok, have not had enough problems to matter.

The red button is an indication of cost cutting.

Generally making a statement here gets more and more detailed information than asking a question. Typical expert pattern.
    Last edited by walterm; 08-14-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

Well, it's a sign of cost cutting because it means the PSU doesn't have PFC.

But with Energy Star, ErP 2013, etc. efficiency standards in just about every continent other than South America, you're going to see less and less of those red switches.

It's also just not cost effective much anymore... at least not in countries that use 230V. It costs about the same to make a 230V only APFC unit than it does to make a non-PFC unit with a switch for a votage doubler.

One of the reasons South America is the last hold out is because every other country on that continent is a different voltage, so you can use 230V only APFC units like you can in China, India, Africa, etc.

French Guiana uses 230V amongst countries that use 115V. Peru uses 230V while Ecuador right next door uses 115V! And Brazil uses 115V or 230V depending on what province you're in! It's crazy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do not like tigerdirect because it's the remains of a failure CompUSA that just couldn't keep up with the changes of business in this fast psced.industry.

I have ordered a lot from Amazon but they consistently take too long to ship. And their customer service has been retarded and slow every time I have called.

Newegg is my favorite especially with free two day shipping by ShopRunner. But they are more.expensive than Amazon for my recent purchases. AVR, Speakers, BluRay Player, etc. For computer stuff I will always use Newegg.

I dislike this marketplace trend that sites like Newegg, Amazon, Bestbuy.com are doing because I am buying from these trusted sites for that reason, quality trust and support and that is lost when others are sellers.

That is the benefit of eBay,though because eBay sells nothing themselves and the sellers of things like hdmi cables etc. Need to compete on price and service.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I concede that I was overly broad and harsh in my condemnation of Tiger.

However 14(holy heck, not even 15 days) day return policy is not ever going to win back my business.

5-7 days shipping to you and 5-7 days back means that you need to find out something is working correctly basically the day it arrives...out of town for a week, or simply too busy to start the project...find out something is DOA two week after it delivers...of snap...you are out of luck now.
    As for the return policy: Those typically are, and should be, as strict as possible
    Sorry, we have to disagree again. That is a total BS policy.
    We are dealing with mail-order. Things get broken in transit. The policy needs to accommodate the fact that you might not use something right away, and find out that it doesn't work, or is not the right item in some reasonable amount of time. I just helped a kid with a build. It was during the school year, with tests, activities and events, he didn't get time until 2 weekends later(and this is a HS kid who desperately wants to build a gaming rig..imagine the average person who has a job). I confirmed by exhaustive testing that the MB was DOA. If he had dealt with Tiger, their policy would have denied him a refund.

So, again, while I retract my statement of 90% junk, I still see no good reason to deal with them.

Now again, you need to read the fine print at Newegg, not everything has the same terms and conditions...but 30 days is much more realistic time to find out if something is DOA or not.
    Last edited by mdk777; 08-14-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I won't disagree that Newegg is starting to annoy me with their excess emails and overextending into an Amazon like consolidator of other sites (furniture, tires et. al.)
    Don't forget the freshly launched "Newegg Flash" which seems a knockoff of Amazon Lightning Deals.

Also, some of these "beloved" companies do stuff like acquiring other companies and ruining them (from the perspective of consumers). One example is Amazon gobbling up Woot! Woot! is now like an extension of Amazon Deals, as a dumping ground for overstock and refurb items at barely "deal" pricing. Remember when Woot! was just one item per day, at really nice pricing? I just counted 197 (one hundred and ninety-seven) items on the main woot.com site (see woot!plus below the "main" deal), and that's not counting all their sub-sites such as tech!, sport!, kids!, sellout! (an apt name), etc. They also cheapened out stuff like shirt! which used to use American Apparel (made in USA) at $10/shirt, and now use foreign sourced shirts at $12 each.

Yeah, I was talking about things like allowing customer reviews, clear links to OEM sites, detailed and fairly accurate product descriptions(basically any detail the OEM is willing to provide is listed) extensive and detailed pictures
    Newegg is pretty unique with their site in this way.
    1) Navigation. Newegg site navigation (being able to "drill down" and sort to find exactly what you want) is unparalleled.
    2) Pictures. Newegg will usually (but not always) take their own pictures and not just relying on pictures provided by marketing.
    3) Listings. Newegg separates out marketing info from technical details and reviews, instead of slapping them on a single page like most other sites, making the information more accessible. HOWEVER, AFAIK they still provide what is provided to them by the manufacturer, only in a more easily digested manner.

It sometimes drives me nuts to find products at other sites. For instance try sorting "by price" at Amazon. I think they include various marketplace and used pricing in their sorting. Also, searching for items will turn up "similar" items. Example: I just searched for "256GB SSD" and got listings for 32GB SSDs. Why?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by shovenose View Post
    I have ordered a lot from Amazon but they consistently take too long to ship.
    [puts on tin foil hat]
    I believe it is their push to "encourage" everyone to pay for Amazon Prime. With Prime your order gets packed/shipped ASAP. Without Prime, can take many days to even get packed/shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by shovenose View Post
    I dislike this marketplace trend that sites like Newegg, Amazon, Bestbuy.com are doing because I am buying from these trusted sites for that reason, quality trust and support and that is lost when others are sellers.
    You and me both. Seems as if every site with decent traffic now does it. Amazon was among the first, but now Newegg, Rakuten (Buy.com), I think even Sears does it. Not all my experiences with "marketplace" sellers have been bad, but all the "bad" experiences I've had have always been with "marketplace" sellers. I've had a DVD from a Buy.com seller never show up (TBH they made good on it by eventually sending it to me AS WELL AS refunding me, but took over a month and some complaints). A Newegg seller took around 7 or 8 days BEFORE even shipping the item. An Amazon seller (it was Tech Depot, an Office Depot subsidiary) cancelled my order and I wasn't refunded. Their customer service told me that Amazon had my money. Amazon told me that Tech Depot had my money. After multiple back/forths like that, I ended up having to do a chargeback with my credit card.

Well, I concede that I was overly broad and harsh in my condemnation of Tiger.

However 14(holy heck, not even 15 days) day return policy is not ever going to win back my business.

5-7 days shipping to you and 5-7 days back means that you need to find out something is working correctly basically the day it arrives...out of town for a week, or simply too busy to start the project...find out something is DOA two week after it delivers...of snap...you are out of luck now.
    Tiger Direct has a 30 day return/refund period. The 14 days is only on certain product categories, such as complete computers/notebooks, TVs, cameras, and similar items.

Regardless of vendor policies, the product should still be under manufacturer's warranty. It isn't as if two weeks later you are completely screwed. Also, even Newegg doesn't automatically let you return anything for a refund. For instance Newegg will not refund a returned computer (but will replace it within 30 days). Tiger Direct WILL REFUND a returned computer (within 14 days).
    Zap
    Clan of the Bloody Fist