Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inwin SFX any good?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Meh Windows 8 isn't thaat bad but for the parents its going to be Windows 7 for sure. Don't need to teach them a whole new operating system

We have a similar situation up here though, you can avoid provincial sales tax if you order online from another province (all 8% of it here in Manitoba ), but your still stuck paying the 5% federal sales tax.

Amazon's prices in general on electronics are just terrible in Canada, I don't really know anyone who uses them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    I don't disagree. But then DELL and LENOVO don't build their boxes to self destruct either. I just think if you are building your own, it doesn't make sense to settle for merely adequate.
    I think "adequate" is a good starting point. I know there is a tendency to obsess but where do you draw the line?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29SopXQfc_s

The computer I'm typing this on has a Capstone in it, so you know where I personally stand but I am also okay with using "adequate." It all depends on where it is going. $3000 over-the-top gaming/overclocking rig? Yeah, I'd use up to 10% of the budget on a really high end PSU. $400 budget rig for web browsing? As long as it meets ATX spec, puts out what it claims on the label and isn't known for blowing up, I'm totally okay with using it.
    Zap
    Clan of the Bloody Fist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$400 budget rig for web browsing?
    Yeah, but for that price you can get a tablet or laptop. Besides the obvious savings on keyboard, mouse, and monitor, you get the ability to use it at Starbucks or McDonald for free.

but to each their own.

I gave up competing with Chinese labor about 20 years ago.

I still build my own because I am:

1. A control freak. I don't like S. Jobs, Sony, or Microsoft telling me how I can or can't use my own hardware.

2. I like the challenge of building the very best...while not extremely cheaply...not at boutique prices either.

At the low end, web browsing utility...I think you are kidding yourself if you think you can beat the mass production... their margins are too thin, their economies of scale too large, their OEM discounts too large and their labor costs so insanely low that you just don't have a chance.

I know I am paying more, but I like the ability to customize.

In the grand scheme of things...are you ever going to regret skipping that $20 Starbucks break so that you can have an efficient, quite power supply instead of a droning hot box fan by your desk...??

Like I said earlier...simple choice for me.

PS My dad has crap computers also so I know the pain of convincing them to spend more. I really can't stand to be in his office for more than 10 minutes because of the heat and noise...but hey, maybe when I'm 75 I'll be deaf and cold all the time too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Around here, you can easily beat the big OEMs and still make a decent margin. It's partly because there's only a couple of places that sell them, and they don't really try to compete on price, and partly because the HP and Acer motherboards usually fail after 2 or 3 years.
    No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    Yeah, but for that price you can get a tablet or laptop. Besides the obvious savings on keyboard, mouse, and monitor, you get the ability to use it at Starbucks or McDonald for free.
    At the low end, web browsing utility...I think you are kidding yourself if you think you can beat the mass production... their margins are too thin, their economies of scale too large, their OEM discounts too large and their labor costs so insanely low that you just don't have a chance.
    No kidding. Just saw an email ad for Micro Center. They have new Dell Inspiron 15 for $299. Pretty basic with crappy (but only enthusiasts like us will notice) 15.6" screen and 5400RPM drive, but the CPU is a Pentium 2127U, which is a 1.9GHz dual core 17W ULV Ivy Bridge. That's a really nice CPU for such a cheap price. Toss in a cheap SSD and most average internet/email users would think it the most awesome notebook in the world.
    Zap
    Clan of the Bloody Fist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was browsing a bit the other day and found this guy http://www.sparklepower.com/pdf/SPI350ACAG.pdf for sale at NCIX for $32. Aurum based? Should be decent?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

350W Gold PSU for $32? Very nice! I just looked and couldn't find it. Too bad. Only vendor with them in stock wants $106!
    Zap
    Clan of the Bloody Fist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap View Post
    350W Gold PSU for $32? Very nice! I just looked and couldn't find it. Too bad. Only vendor with them in stock wants $106!
    Oops didn't even see your reply before. Here's the link to it: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=610699...anufacture=SPI looks like its only available on the Canadian NCIX right now.

I've got another question though: that 450w Cooler Master I posted before (http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=061666 420w on the 12v) would be plenty for a 4ghz Nehalem and 4870, correct?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

It would be, it's the same platform but better components than the SPI unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Late update: went with the Cooler Master unit. Thanks for the help guys!