Thread: Choices

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Choices

Trying to pick between the Zeus ST85ZF 850w and the PC&P Silencer 750w quad or maybe something else.

From what I read and understood the Zeus is a great psu. But my main concern are the multiple rails and worrying about splitting the power correctly.

Cranking up the voltage on quad cores while overclocking under phase we can see loads of 230w. So I am thinking 20a on 12v would be nice for the cpu. Planning to picking up an ati's r600 in April and its has been quoted to consume about 265w stock, with ocing thinking 350w is a good mark so upwards of 30a. The zeus rails are only 18a. So I was feeling a lot more comfortable with the PC&P Silencer 750w quad.

Ideally I am trying to find a good single 12v rail 750-850w psu, good regulation, low ripple and not to big in size.

Any suggestions, thoughts?

The PC&P Silencer really looks appealing right now but I don't know about the current quality and wasn't able to find a jonny review on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The R600 is rumored to use 260W, the G80 was rumored to use 225+W but it doesn't. I think that you'll be fine with the Zeus and I really doubt that the quad core will need 20A. Where are you seeing that figure?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

The Zeus is way better built and the PCI-e connectors are on their own rails and not mixed up w/ 8-pin EPS12V, 4-pin ATX12V, Molex, etc.

You'll be fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madmat View Post
    I really doubt that the quad core will need 20A. Where are you seeing that figure?
    Well I am from xtremesystems phase change community and in the builds we are seeing loads up to 250w with heavily volted quad cores, we are noticing the hard way as the current evaporator capacities are starting to give and we can reverse calculate the load by watching the system reaction to it. We are talking extreme extremes here of coarse, most under a normal oc don't put out quite that much but when you really push it it gets hairy.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    The Zeus is way better built and the PCI-e connectors are on their own rails and not mixed up w/ 8-pin EPS12V, 4-pin ATX12V, Molex, etc.

You'll be fine.
    Thanks. I guess the 12v rails are rated at 18a which is pretty close to 20, and under stress being a quality psu it will probably do 20a, unless its really hot.

So each pci-e 6 pin connector pair is on its own rail? Since it has 4 12v rails does that mean that the mb connector is on one, 2 pci-e 6 pin connectors per rail for the other two rails, and the fourth rail for everything else?

Thanks for the help guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by epion2985 View Post
    Well I am from xtremesystems phase change community and in the builds we are seeing loads up to 250w with heavily volted quad cores, we are noticing the hard way as the current evaporator capacities are starting to give and we can reverse calculate the load by watching the system reaction to it. We are talking extreme extremes here of coarse, most under a normal oc don't put out quite that much but when you really push it it gets hairy.

Thanks. I guess the 12v rails are rated at 18a which is pretty close to 20, and under stress being a quality psu it will probably do 20a, unless its really hot.

So each pci-e 6 pin connector pair is on its own rail? Since it has 4 12v rails does that mean that the mb connector is on one, 2 pci-e 6 pin connectors per rail for the other two rails, and the fourth rail for everything else?

Thanks for the help guys.
    Silverstone has the ST85ZF speced at 22a peak per +12V rail

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-85zf.htm
    MSI P67A-GD65
    i72600K@4.8
    Corsair H70
    4x4Gb GSkill Ripjaws 16Gb 1600
    MSI 670 GTX PE/OC
    2x750Gb Seagate Barracuda's RAID 0
    Zalman ZM-MFC1
    Lite-On Dvd burner
    SB X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
    Silverstone Zeus ST85ZF
    Coolermaster HAF-932
    "Experience is the benchmark of maturity"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

No. You don't get how multi-12V rails works.

There's still only one +12V rail. It's only split up into virtual rails with circuitry that has over current limiters on it.

It's not like when you take a single 12V rail PSU and push it to the limit and it overheats and shuts down. If you have a multi-12V rail PSU and you push one rail to the limit but are still running to only 50% of the total capacity of the combined 12V rails, you're barely even stressing the PSU. Sure, you're potentially reaching the limit of the pre-programmed OCP of that rail, but heat isn't going to have an affect on that. You're either below or above the limit that's going to trip that rail.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you're potentially reaching the limit of the pre-programmed OCP of that rail
    Thats what I meant to say

but heat isn't going to have an affect on that.
    ah thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAD4466HK View Post
    Silverstone has the ST85ZF speced at 22a peak per +12V rail

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-85zf.htm
    Awesome. Wonder how long is the "peak" is in terms of time.

So is this layout correct?

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

Awesome. Wonder how long is the "peak" is in terms of time.
    Again, it's just an OCP circuit programmed on an IC. It's not a "rating" in the sense of "peak" on a true +12V rail. If the current is greater than 22A at any given time, it's going to cut the PSU off.

They use the term "peak" because if they were to rate the PSU at any more than 18A on the label, it would not meet the ATX12V paper standard. This is the same reason why Seasonic continues to state their power supplies have three or four rails when in fact they have none. The label says "18A" but in reality they're somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 or 40A.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see, thanks.

So does the layout look something like this?

12V1 cpu
    12V2 pci-e 6 pin connector 1 and 2
    12V3 pci-e 6 pin connector 3 and 4
    12V4 everything else