Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weird issue - A Sound 'skip' Every 20 Seconds caused by too many HDDs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts

Yes. But on a board as old (no offense) as a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3, the on board sound is definitely going to be on the PCI bus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dangleberry View Post
    Unfortunately I'm kind of a step ahead of you on the external enclosure idea, that link seems to be of a rebranded Vantec HX4 of which I have 3, and they're full.

How many HDDs do you have?

What capacity are they? If you have to store a lot of accessible data, maybe replace with higher capacity drives?

Maybe it is time to go with two machines? What do you use this for? The graphics card is pretty old and you mention media playback. Are you using it as an HTPC? Maybe have two machines for the tasks.

Alternately, if you still think using less power can resolve the issue, replace the graphics card if you aren't gaming. You can get low end cards for pretty cheap that would play media perfectly. Example Radeon 5450 for $17 after rebate. The 5450 has a TDP of 19W, but idles at under 7W. Older cards like yours always ran at full speed, while newer cards will clock down at idle (when not actually accelerating anything).
    Zap
    Clan of the Bloody Fist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Apologies for the late response, the day before I planned to do the testing my OS drive's mbr got stuffed up and wouldn't boot (it's had weird issue for a while but always boots anyways). I'm borrowing a friend's laptop now.

It's been pretty annoying because I really wanted to try the DPC latency checker.
    I've been wanting to upgrade my OS drive for a while and figured I'd use this as an opportunity to do it, but I've been doing a lot of overtime lately which has kept things delayed.

Thanks McSteel, the sound card as well as the RAID card are both PCI.
    -I'd be up for trying ASIO4ALL if it was able to be used with video players like MPC HD and VLC as well as audio players.

-The mobo supports SATA2 which I'm pretty sure has power-saving features like drive idle/spin down on by default, and BIOS is set to AHCI and SATA where ever possible. HDD scan looks cool though, will check it out, I use something similar but right now I just can't remember what it's called.

BIOS wise, it's running the earliest version, there's more than 8 versions I could update to... won't I lose my OC if I update it though?
    While it seems like a cool idea, experimenting with modded BIOS is a bit further down the list at the moment.

Kougar, (and anyone else if they want) please recommend me a good power meter, because I've wanted to get one for a long time now, I'm also curious as to what it's drawing. My budget is around $180.
    Thanks btw.

mariush, thank you, interestingly I've used Everest (now called AIDA64) for a while, and it poles pretty much every probe for temperatures readings - by default a lot of them are every 20 seconds, but I'm pretty sure I have all at 10 seconds or less, actually more like 5 and 3 seconds... I'm starting to think this could still be affecting latency though. Also jonny is probably right about the onboard sound, this mobo came out either in late 2007 or early 2008.

Lol Zap, I'm not that bad. I just hold onto old drives so over the years they start to add up, I generally use the old drives as secondary backups, so it's no problem if they die, thankfully (I think) none have died yet. I am saving up to upgrade to higher capacity drives though.

Use wise, I use my pc for pretty much everything - storing media and gaming.
    At some point I do want to have 2 separate machines though, when I do I'll definitely go with your idea and use a low end video card, many basic ones these days probably have as much processing power as my 9800. 7W idle, damn that's nice.

So, I take it with this PSU, everyone's cool with me leaving 10 hard drives Not-staggered on power-up?

Also, the CPU is 65W TDP, so I'm not sure how this is affected when overclocked - according to BIOS, Vcore is 1.332V, +3.3 is 3.376V and +12 is 12.239V) is there a way to work out wattage under load from the vcore voltage?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your hard drive!

Regarding the BIOS... egad! You should always jump to an updated BIOS if it has bugfixes... Gigabyte has never once launched a motherboard with a bug-free BIOS on launch day, and back then some of the "bugs" they considered acceptable for "launch now fix later" patches meant multiple settings or features outright didn't work. Some were completely horrible... anyway a large number of BIOS updates go toward improving overclocking with very tangible results, and edge cases such as your weird sound issue. I'd suggest flashing the most recent update then trying to reproduce your sound glitch just to rule out it wasn't fixed.

Take my shiny new GB Z87-UD5H motherboard... newest board on the block, but there's settings and features that aren't finished on it. Even with the F5 bios the uncore clock can be set to anything the user wants, but in actuality won't run above 3.9Ghz regardless of the setting the user has input! One name OCer stated this cap can limit some core overclocks.

When you flash the board you need to use the "set optimized defaults" to clear it and reboot. While technically it does maintain your previous settings, it's possible to have old settings conflict with a new BIOS resulting in features not working right or stability issues. So it's best practice to wipe and manually redo the settings. (Another issue I've experienced on GB boards, actually)

Cheapest power meter would be the trusty old P3 Kill-a-Watt http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882715001 The next higher model is $10 more and saves data after a powerloss or being unplugged as well as letting you input your own kWh rate so it calculates costs on the fly. Nothing makes it a must have over the original P3 though IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
    Sorry to hear about your hard drive!

Regarding the BIOS... egad! You should always jump to an updated BIOS if it has bugfixes... Gigabyte has never once launched a motherboard with a bug-free BIOS on launch day, and back then some of the "bugs" they considered acceptable for "launch now fix later" patches meant multiple settings or features outright didn't work. Some were completely horrible... anyway a large number of BIOS updates go toward improving overclocking with very tangible results, and edge cases such as your weird sound issue. I'd suggest flashing the most recent update then trying to reproduce your sound glitch just to rule out it wasn't fixed.

Take my shiny new GB Z87-UD5H motherboard... newest board on the block, but there's settings and features that aren't finished on it. Even with the F5 bios the uncore clock can be set to anything the user wants, but in actuality won't run above 3.9Ghz regardless of the setting the user has input! One name OCer stated this cap can limit some core overclocks.

When you flash the board you need to use the "set optimized defaults" to clear it and reboot. While technically it does maintain your previous settings, it's possible to have old settings conflict with a new BIOS resulting in features not working right or stability issues. So it's best practice to wipe and manually redo the settings. (Another issue I've experienced on GB boards, actually)

Cheapest power meter would be the trusty old P3 Kill-a-Watt http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882715001 The next higher model is $10 more and saves data after a powerloss or being unplugged as well as letting you input your own kWh rate so it calculates costs on the fly. Nothing makes it a must have over the original P3 though IMO.
    I have one of those kill-a-watter meters. It's been through a lot and works great