Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Lowest noise/ripple/regulation PS charts???

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Lowest noise/ripple/regulation PS charts???

    Are there any comparison charts that show noise/ripple/regulation comparisons between the various PS's reviewed?

    Would a PICO PS have better or worse noise/ripple/regulation stats compared to something like the Kingwin Styker 500 (or other)?

    I will be rebuilding a fanless Audio server/player soon and may replace the PICO PS if there is something better out there.

    TIA

    FWIW: The Music PC uses passive heat-pipe cooling, 2 SSDs, I-7 65watt TDP CPU, on-chip graphics, PCIe sound card and mini-ITX board.
    Last edited by ths61; 06-12-2013 at 04:14 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    in your bathroom
    Posts
    1,501
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    68
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Are there any comparison charts that show noise/ripple/regulation comparisons between the various PS's reviewed?

    Would a PICO PS have better or worse noise/ripple/regulation stats compared to something like the Kingwin Styker 500 (or other)?

    I will be rebuilding a fanless Audio server/player soon and may replace the PICO PS if there is something better out there.

    TIA
    Considering the power envelope of PicoPSUs, superb regulation shouldn't be out of reach, output quality on the other hand might not be on par with the ATX high ends, a single DC to DC module of a premium ATX unit, think HCP 1000, is larger and more complex (far superior filtering stage) than most "high output" PicoPSUs out there (120W+).

    As for the charts you asked about, they would be pointless, PSUs don't have the performance consistency necessary to make such charts relevant/objective.
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Original Sin For This Useful Post:

    ths61 (06-12-2013)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    in your bathroom
    Posts
    1,501
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    68
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    FWIW: The Music PC uses passive heat-pipe cooling, 2 SSDs, I-7 65watt TDP CPU, on-chip graphics, PCIe sound card and mini-ITX board.
    Do you use an external Amp/DAC?... if so, don't bother changing the PSU, just make sure you got quality gear down the line.
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Original Sin View Post
    Considering the power envelope of PicoPSUs, superb regulation shouldn't be out of reach, output quality on the other hand might not be on par with the ATX high ends, a single DC to DC module of a premium ATX unit, think HCP 1000, is larger and more complex (far superior filtering stage) than most "high output" PicoPSUs out there (120W+).

    As for the charts you asked about, they would be pointless, PSUs don't have the performance consistency necessary to make such charts relevant/objective.
    Thanks for the feedback.

    For this application, I don't believe I need a high output PS (unless that equates to lower noise) as much as a silent, quality, low noise, stable PS. I am not powering a lot of peripherals with this PC.

    The HCP 1000's review appears almost perfect except for the noted ripple anomaly and the cooling fan.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Original Sin View Post
    Do you use an external Amp/DAC?... if so, don't bother changing the PSU, just make sure you got quality gear down the line.
    I previously used a Asus Xonar Essance STX's coax output into an external DAC (16/44 to 24/192). I am now using a USB output into the upgraded DAC's isolated USB input (16/44 to 24/192 and DSD64 & 128). The external DAC's USB input is now galvonically isolated from the PC's USB feed.

    The rest of the downstream gear is of descent quality. Everything goes though a large isolation transformer with balanced power.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    in your bathroom
    Posts
    1,501
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    68
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    I previously used a Asus Xonar Essance STX's coax output into an external DAC (16/44 to 24/192). I am now using a USB output into the upgraded DAC's isolated USB input (16/44 to 24/192 and DSD64 & 128). The external DAC's USB input is now galvonically isolated from the PC's USB feed.

    The rest of the downstream gear is of descent quality. Everything goes though a large isolation transformer with balanced power.
    In that case I see no reason to change the PSU if your current one has the required output to support your gear.
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Original Sin For This Useful Post:

    ths61 (06-12-2013)

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Following up on the general subject of this thread - would love some help because I'm going crazy figuring this stuff out.

    I am wondering if lowest ripple is what I should be looking for in a PSU.

    I have a HTPC -> external DAC/soundcard (via HDMI or USB) -> amplifier -> headphones. Since upgrading the amp and headphones, I can hear a whole hell of a lot of electrical noise caused by the PC and carried through the HDMI cable - there's persistent hum, crackle and an intermittent 'howling' sound anytime that an HDMI or USB cable from the PC is plugged into the soundcard, and I can hear the power draw changing through my headphones as components spin up, go to sleep etc.

    This can't be normal, right? It's audible at normal listening volumes and very loud if I turn up the amplifier. I was wondering if it is a grounding issue, but on doing more reading it seems like it might be because my power supply just doesn't supply well regulated power.

    The existing power supply is a PicoPSU 150-XT and an EDAC-branded 12V AC-DC supply. I'd ideally like to stick with the DC-DC form factor (HTPC case without space for a full-sized PSU) but will get a new case and something like the Seasonic X400 if you think that ripple/voltage regulation could be the source of my problems?

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    11
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by puretokyo View Post
    there's persistent hum, crackle and an intermittent 'howling' sound anytime that an HDMI or USB cable from the PC is plugged into the soundcard, and I can hear the power draw changing through my headphones as components spin up, go to sleep etc.
    Sounds like a cheap onboard sound solution. I've personally had this problem with a 3.5mm analogue headset plugged into a cheap Gigabyte board, particularly when other USB components were transferring data. Synchronizing my iPhone with the headset plugged in was practically unbearable (high pitched crackle).

    Maybe the external soundcard is not as good as you think?

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdash View Post
    Sounds like a cheap onboard sound solution.

    ...

    Maybe the external soundcard is not as good as you think?
    Thanks for replying! If only it was that simple - the outboard DAC/soundcard is the NAD M51 and there is no noise when connected only to other sources (Xbox, CD player both play perfectly).

    The problem happens anytime the HTPC is connected to the DAC, regardless of which input is chosen (ie, even if the Xbox is playing through the DAC, the fact that the HTPC is connected means I still hear the electrical noise from the HTPC). I'm assuming it's primarily due to crappy power from the EDAC brick that isn't being cleaned up by the PicoPSU, but I can't confirm this - the other possibility is maybe (as you say) a bad onboard setup in the motherboard (Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H) - any thoughts?

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    2,247
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    129
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    15
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

    Default

    Try disconnecting the HTPC's case front panel USB and audio from the motherboard, see if it helps.

    Does the character (sound profile) of the noise change significantly with varying load patterns or maybe with disk/network activity?
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Similar Threads

  1. ripple suppression vs voltage regulation: which is more important?
    By cossack in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-10-2017, 07:37 PM
  2. Lowest Ripple suppression on 12v single rail
    By BTRY B 529th FA BN in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-05-2015, 12:43 PM
  3. Looking for the lowest budget 850W PSU with the lowest ripple possible
    By fateswarm in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-08-2013, 11:30 AM
  4. Power supply with lowest ripple at 120W?
    By jonnygururocks in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-17-2011, 03:18 PM
  5. Lowest ripple PSU for low power HTPC?
    By necris in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-30-2009, 05:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •