Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowest noise/ripple/regulation PS charts???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Lowest noise/ripple/regulation PS charts???

Are there any comparison charts that show noise/ripple/regulation comparisons between the various PS's reviewed?

Would a PICO PS have better or worse noise/ripple/regulation stats compared to something like the Kingwin Styker 500 (or other)?

I will be rebuilding a fanless Audio server/player soon and may replace the PICO PS if there is something better out there.

TIA

FWIW: The Music PC uses passive heat-pipe cooling, 2 SSDs, I-7 65watt TDP CPU, on-chip graphics, PCIe sound card and mini-ITX board.
    Last edited by ths61; 06-12-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Are there any comparison charts that show noise/ripple/regulation comparisons between the various PS's reviewed?

Would a PICO PS have better or worse noise/ripple/regulation stats compared to something like the Kingwin Styker 500 (or other)?

I will be rebuilding a fanless Audio server/player soon and may replace the PICO PS if there is something better out there.

TIA
    Considering the power envelope of PicoPSUs, superb regulation shouldn't be out of reach, output quality on the other hand might not be on par with the ATX high ends, a single DC to DC module of a premium ATX unit, think HCP 1000, is larger and more complex (far superior filtering stage) than most "high output" PicoPSUs out there (120W+).

As for the charts you asked about, they would be pointless, PSUs don't have the performance consistency necessary to make such charts relevant/objective.
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Original Sin For This Useful Post:

ths61 (06-12-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FWIW: The Music PC uses passive heat-pipe cooling, 2 SSDs, I-7 65watt TDP CPU, on-chip graphics, PCIe sound card and mini-ITX board.
    Do you use an external Amp/DAC?... if so, don't bother changing the PSU, just make sure you got quality gear down the line.
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Original Sin View Post
    Considering the power envelope of PicoPSUs, superb regulation shouldn't be out of reach, output quality on the other hand might not be on par with the ATX high ends, a single DC to DC module of a premium ATX unit, think HCP 1000, is larger and more complex (far superior filtering stage) than most "high output" PicoPSUs out there (120W+).

As for the charts you asked about, they would be pointless, PSUs don't have the performance consistency necessary to make such charts relevant/objective.
    Thanks for the feedback.

For this application, I don't believe I need a high output PS (unless that equates to lower noise) as much as a silent, quality, low noise, stable PS. I am not powering a lot of peripherals with this PC.

The HCP 1000's review appears almost perfect except for the noted ripple anomaly and the cooling fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Original Sin View Post
    Do you use an external Amp/DAC?... if so, don't bother changing the PSU, just make sure you got quality gear down the line.
    I previously used a Asus Xonar Essance STX's coax output into an external DAC (16/44 to 24/192). I am now using a USB output into the upgraded DAC's isolated USB input (16/44 to 24/192 and DSD64 & 128). The external DAC's USB input is now galvonically isolated from the PC's USB feed.

The rest of the downstream gear is of descent quality. Everything goes though a large isolation transformer with balanced power.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I previously used a Asus Xonar Essance STX's coax output into an external DAC (16/44 to 24/192). I am now using a USB output into the upgraded DAC's isolated USB input (16/44 to 24/192 and DSD64 & 128). The external DAC's USB input is now galvonically isolated from the PC's USB feed.

The rest of the downstream gear is of descent quality. Everything goes though a large isolation transformer with balanced power.
    In that case I see no reason to change the PSU if your current one has the required output to support your gear.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Original Sin For This Useful Post:

ths61 (06-12-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Following up on the general subject of this thread - would love some help because I'm going crazy figuring this stuff out.

I am wondering if lowest ripple is what I should be looking for in a PSU.

I have a HTPC -> external DAC/soundcard (via HDMI or USB) -> amplifier -> headphones. Since upgrading the amp and headphones, I can hear a whole hell of a lot of electrical noise caused by the PC and carried through the HDMI cable - there's persistent hum, crackle and an intermittent 'howling' sound anytime that an HDMI or USB cable from the PC is plugged into the soundcard, and I can hear the power draw changing through my headphones as components spin up, go to sleep etc.

This can't be normal, right? It's audible at normal listening volumes and very loud if I turn up the amplifier. I was wondering if it is a grounding issue, but on doing more reading it seems like it might be because my power supply just doesn't supply well regulated power.

The existing power supply is a PicoPSU 150-XT and an EDAC-branded 12V AC-DC supply. I'd ideally like to stick with the DC-DC form factor (HTPC case without space for a full-sized PSU) but will get a new case and something like the Seasonic X400 if you think that ripple/voltage regulation could be the source of my problems?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by puretokyo View Post
    there's persistent hum, crackle and an intermittent 'howling' sound anytime that an HDMI or USB cable from the PC is plugged into the soundcard, and I can hear the power draw changing through my headphones as components spin up, go to sleep etc.
    Sounds like a cheap onboard sound solution. I've personally had this problem with a 3.5mm analogue headset plugged into a cheap Gigabyte board, particularly when other USB components were transferring data. Synchronizing my iPhone with the headset plugged in was practically unbearable (high pitched crackle).

Maybe the external soundcard is not as good as you think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdash View Post
    Sounds like a cheap onboard sound solution.

Maybe the external soundcard is not as good as you think?
    Thanks for replying! If only it was that simple - the outboard DAC/soundcard is the NAD M51 and there is no noise when connected only to other sources (Xbox, CD player both play perfectly).

The problem happens anytime the HTPC is connected to the DAC, regardless of which input is chosen (ie, even if the Xbox is playing through the DAC, the fact that the HTPC is connected means I still hear the electrical noise from the HTPC). I'm assuming it's primarily due to crappy power from the EDAC brick that isn't being cleaned up by the PicoPSU, but I can't confirm this - the other possibility is maybe (as you say) a bad onboard setup in the motherboard (Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H) - any thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Try disconnecting the HTPC's case front panel USB and audio from the motherboard, see if it helps.

Does the character (sound profile) of the noise change significantly with varying load patterns or maybe with disk/network activity?
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.