Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: PSU Recommendations for High End Gaming PC's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

I'm not going to have the time to dedicate to that for another month.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hummm I can't prove it, but its not beyond reasonable doubt to attribute my dfi mobos failure to my enermax 600w noisetaker psu.

This isn't a budget psu by any standard, yet I am quite aghast at how, I won't say poor, but its barely better built than a budget one, and retails around $180ish.
    I know the oczz powerstream I had is ranked on around the same level, but that was so much more substantial by a totally different order than this, unless I am forgetting something. It just felt right. The enermax doesn't.

I know plenty about capacitors, I used to build my own hifi in the past, even in those fairly expensive psu pics, some of the caps are the cheapest nastiest ones available. Again I would expect more.

Jonny, can you judge a psu by the warrantee and MTBF? ( well I suppose you can to a certain extent)

Then again, at what conditions are these specified half load, full load, idle? Its a real can of worms this psu thing, I really didn't know there was that much to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ianm2 View Post
    Jonny, can you judge a psu by the warrantee and MTBF? ( well I suppose you can to a certain extent)
    No.

And just because it is so true i provide this parable:

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.
    Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.
    Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.
    Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
    Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?
    Ted Nelson, Customer: What's your point?
    Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I seen it a hundred times.
    Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
    Tommy: Because they know all they solda ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.
    Ted Nelson, Customer: [pause] Okay, I'll buy from you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah but they still have to replace/repair if it goes tits up a day b4 the warrantee expiry praps 4 1/2 years down the line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is the Zalman going to be added into the Tier 2 section perhaps?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Hmm... It's certainly better performance than other FSP's (GameXstream, Sharkloon, etc.) but it's still not the build quality I'd see as a tier 3.

Maybe tier 2.5. Not sure. Let me think about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So are there reviews of all of these recommended units? I tried searching for the Seventeam SSE/EPS v2.91 series review but I didn't come up with anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by galapogos View Post
    So are there reviews of all of these recommended units? I tried searching for the Seventeam SSE/EPS v2.91 series review but I didn't come up with anything.
    Seventeam is mostly a server and oem brand, not surprising that your not finding any reviews on them, BUT look for reviews of the 1Kw olympis PSU by SilverStone (http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-op1000.htm) because its a rebranded Seventeam PSU, and your basicly looking at general review of a seventeam psu.

Seventeam is a very high end PSU, most of them orginally designed for the server market. I would have no worries buying a PSU from them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
    Seventeam is mostly a server and oem brand, not surprising that your not finding any reviews on them, BUT look for reviews of the 1Kw olympis PSU by SilverStone (http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-op1000.htm) because its a rebranded Seventeam PSU, and your basicly looking at general review of a seventeam psu.

Seventeam is a very high end PSU, most of them orginally designed for the server market. I would have no worries buying a PSU from them.
    Well not all of them are good. hardwaresecrets reviewed a BKV that was using an ancient AT design.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hate to ask yet another PSU question on here, but wasn't sure to make my own thread.

Simply stated, where would you rate a seventeam built Masscool sytrin 460? Would it show in tier 2 along with the other seventeams or in a category all its own somewhere lower?

btw, Jonny, you gave it a thumbs up, and from what I can tell, rightfully so. Just asking out of curiosity and ignorance more than anything.