Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: PSU Recommendations for High End Gaming PC's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder whether any 120mm PSU will ever make tier one.

Sitting on the fence, fence, fence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Curious as to why the Seasonic M-12 rated second tier, as you gave it a 9.5 in performance. Seems looks and value killed it. But some of the top tier are >$500!

But as far as a PSU that will run SLI/CF without a ripple, assuming you don't care about looks and you have $200, it seems first tier?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Nope.

Seasonic is still not of the build quality of Zippy, Etasis, PCP&C's Turbo-Cool line, etc.

Sure, it got a 9.5 in performance because it put out 700W with good efficiency, low ripple and excellent voltage regulation... but how long would one last under extreme conditions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, so a component issue. Also I see no 8800 SLI cert. Gotta have that, although I will be going ATI for the distro processing. I can only imagine what the next-gen ATI cards will demand for CF.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Nope.

Seasonic is still not of the build quality of Zippy, Etasis, PCP&C's Turbo-Cool line, etc.

Sure, it got a 9.5 in performance because it put out 700W with good efficiency, low ripple and excellent voltage regulation... but how long would one last under extreme conditions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Nope.

I got a question concerning your list Jonny. I find it a bit odd that a psu that gets a 9 (Tt Toughpower 750 watt) is hanging on the bottom of tier 3 (even below a psu that gets rated only a 7,5 (Antec Trio).
    Basically you say "don't just look at the grades, also look at the buildquality so you will know what the psu will do over the years" right?
    I agree with this but shouldn't buildquality also be reflected in the reviews then?

For me it went like this: I read pretty much all of your reviews on the site. I noticed the extremely high score for "performance" the Tt psu had. Since it didn't look so good the grade ended up being "only" a 9. Since I don't care about looks I considered this psu to be great and bought it. Now I see that even the Antec that gets just a 7,5 would actually be prefered over this psu cause of build quality? Then the Tt must be extremely badly build cause performance-wise it appears to be way better.
    From the review section I couldn't make out the Corsair was of quite better quality compared to the Tt (tier 2 vs tier 3) either, otherwise I would've coughed up the extra 15 euros and went for that instead. But since both of em got a 9, the Tt had a higher wattage AND was cheaper it was the obvious way to go...

Moral: I think the grades should reflect position in the "tier-list" and build quality should be reflected in the review grade as well. Any thoughts on this?

PS:
    Don't regard this as a flame/troll/whatever btw, I think your site is the best psu-site I know...just giving some feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffa View Post
    I got a question concerning your list Jonny. I find it a bit odd that a psu that gets a 9 (Tt Toughpower 750 watt) is hanging on the bottom of tier 3 (even below a psu that gets rated only a 7,5 (Antec Trio).
    Basically you say "don't just look at the grades, also look at the buildquality so you will know what the psu will do over the years" right?
    I agree with this but shouldn't buildquality also be reflected in the reviews then?

For me it went like this: I read pretty much all of your reviews on the site. I noticed the extremely high score for "performance" the Tt psu had. Since it didn't look so good the grade ended up being "only" a 9. Since I don't care about looks I considered this psu to be great and bought it. Now I see that even the Antec that gets just a 7,5 would actually be prefered over this psu cause of build quality? Then the Tt must be extremely badly build cause performance-wise it appears to be way better.
    From the review section I couldn't make out the Corsair was of quite better quality compared to the Tt (tier 2 vs tier 3) either, otherwise I would've coughed up the extra 15 euros and went for that instead. But since both of em got a 9, the Tt had a higher wattage AND was cheaper it was the obvious way to go...

Moral: I think the grades should reflect position in the "tier-list" and build quality should be reflected in the review grade as well. Any thoughts on this?

PS:
    Don't regard this as a flame/troll/whatever btw, I think your site is the best psu-site I know...just giving some feedback
    The Tt was added to the list after the Antec, I don't think it's position in the list has anything more or less to do with anything than that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madmat View Post
    The Tt was added to the list after the Antec, I don't think it's position in the list has anything more or less to do with anything than that.
    Right but what do you think of the rest of my little story? Don't you think build quality (and thus most likely lifespan) should be reflected in the review grade? To me the way it is now doesn't make perfect sense cause two psu's that both receive a 9 are in different tiers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

CWT has a bad rep for durability due to their use of certain caps. The toughpowers don't use them but it still hurts CWT even though IMHO the Toughpower 750 I had was built every bit as well as the Enhance built Silverstones I have.

On the flipside, I've got an Antec CWT (True Blue 480W) that's 4 years old now and was used 24/7 for 3 of those with nary a hiccup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffa View Post
    Umm... the PSU's in each tier are in no particular order. They are either in one tier or another. Beyond this, there is no order of preference.

As for judging build quality, etc. There's no telling the longevity of a product. If you LOOK at an Enermax Liberty, it LOOKS good quality. And I've tested them and they tested well. But (not to single out Enermax) I've seen a number of complaints of them suddenly dying. Can I account for that? No. Could I have forseen these problems? Not unless they happened to me personally.

Same with the buzzing noise some people hear in some of the CWT built Thermaltakes. Did I have a problem with buzzing? No. So what's the isolated incident? The buzzing some people are experiencing or my lack of buzzing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just checking, any ETA on a different but similar list for mid-range/lower end systems?