Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: PSU Recommendations for High End Gaming PC's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    I answered this one over at [H], but I'll repeat myself anyway. I can only recall one definitive case of one of the big Zeus units actually dying since they were released. The rest of them were all false alarms. I trust Newegg reviews about as far as I can throw my car
    Thanks for the reply (both here and on [H]). The thing about the reviews from newegg is that they either loved it, or it didn't work at all. There was nothing in between. No comments about wavering voltages, current spikes, underfrequency issues, nothing like that. The negative reviews were...it was DOA. How can you screw up that type of review? People don't know to plug in their PSU or something?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

Unfortunately, user comments are rarely "in between." Most people don't feel the need to report on something that does what it's advertised to do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now why Enermax Galaxy is still listed as very quiet when it definitely isn't quiet?

It started a bit too noisy and got worse as soon as power output reached just a hundred watts. By 150W, it was 35 dBA@1m, which is already well beyond unacceptable; we consider ~30dBA@1m to be the upper limit for "quiet". In contrast, all of the comparative PSUs above (audio recordings of which are above) stay at just 25 dBA@1m or less up to 200~300W output. Also, the noise character of these other PSUs is far smoother and more benign.
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/article726-page5.html

Looks like CWT/Thermaltake has really good quality checks...
    In Finnish MuroBBS there was today post about Toughpower 850W. First unit had lasted 15 minutes before deceasing. Next unit worked but case fans connected to Molex cable didn't start so he tried other cable and fans started working and he thought it was just some contact problem in modular cable. But checking things with multimeter told that 5 and 12V were "cross connected" in non-working cable... result was dead DVD-drive.

As sidenote someone's CWT made Antec had recently taken motherboard, HD and DVD-writer to grave with it during (normal for them) deceasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Juardis View Post
    The negative reviews were...it was DOA. How can you screw up that type of review? People don't know to plug in their PSU or something?
    "Most people would rather die than think; in fact, they do so."
    -Bertrand Russell

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EsaT View Post
    Now why Enermax Galaxy is still listed as very quiet when it definitely isn't quiet?
    Should I dignify that with a response?

We're talking about SPCR here.

The Galaxy is still quiet. Quieter than some other 1kW options (PCP&C, SilverStone) and I don't think it's 35dBA at 150W. I wonder if their sample was hosed or there's something wrong with their testing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you see a Galaxy or Galaxy DXX (850/1000) running at <500W input, it isn't loud at all. Loud for a 1kW is a PC P&C Turbo-Cool 1kW-SR if you ever hear it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EsaT View Post
    Looks like CWT/Thermaltake has really good quality checks...
    In Finnish MuroBBS there was today post about Toughpower 850W. First unit had lasted 15 minutes before deceasing. Next unit worked but case fans connected to Molex cable didn't start so he tried other cable and fans started working and he thought it was just some contact problem in modular cable. But checking things with multimeter told that 5 and 12V were "cross connected" in non-working cable... result was dead DVD-drive.

As sidenote someone's CWT made Antec had recently taken motherboard, HD and DVD-writer to grave with it during (normal for them) deceasing.
    didn't know toughpowers were that bad . I'm still trying to figure out why the Global and US websites show different specs for the 1200w version .

US :

Global :

or is that the same thing said differently ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Am I going mad or have the Xclio models moved from tier two to tier three in the past couple of months?

Regardless of whether I'm going mad or not what's the matter with the Xclios that they don't make it into tier two?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nicolasb View Post
    Am I going mad or have the Xclio models moved from tier two to tier three in the past couple of months?

Regardless of whether I'm going mad or not what's the matter with the Xclios that they don't make it into tier two?
    They haven't moved.

They're simply not tier 2 material. That's why they're in tier 3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so i guess my recent buy of the op1000 was a good choice for 370 canadian which is like 407 USD. can a PSU be modded to have like 2 or 3 more SATA plugs on top of what i got. If so how do i do it? Yea i'm new

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$370 CDN is more like $50 US... so that's a really good buy. Actually it's $321.76 US.