Thread: Antec Signature 850W (SG-850) garbage after all these years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Signature 850W (SG-850)

Signature 850W (SG-850)
    Last edited by Mi7chy; 10-02-2016 at 03:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Maybe. Seasonic's had the odd unit fail as well... no company has a perfect track record. My SG-850 review sample is still working for its new owner. I kind of miss that bad boy, actually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Sounds like a runaway ripple issue... Wonder what could've caused it.
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Should have just spent the $200 to get a new 10 year warranty.

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 120-G2-1000-XR 1000W SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply
    Backed by a 10 Year EVGA Warranty - Fully Modular

Seriously , this is always the problem with really long warranty.
    Is it really worth your time to

1. keep all the paperwork, dates, and proof of purchase?
    2. will you remember in 9 years that it had a 10 year warranty?
    3. will the company exist in 10 years?

I have a sump pump that has a "lifetime warranty"...when it stops running...if not in the first 2 or 3 years...I'll just replace it, just like the one with the 3-5 year warranty.

PS, I stopped buying 100,000 mile tires too. You needed to rotate every 5,000 miles. Really, who does that? unless you do it yourself; save the $20 every 5,000 miles and you would have bought a new set of tires with the savings instead of the warranty.

Also had to replace wheel/ studs broke off from so much tire rotations....again, cost higher than just running the tires 25k between rotations and not worrying about the tire warranty...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you using the Signature with the Athlon XP 2500+ now or with the Supermicro X7DAE?

If there are start up problems
    With the Athlon XP 2500+ the Seasonic should be better, because it more ATX12V PG signal design than Signature. Signature is more leaning towards EPS12V.

If the system is that unstable, there was a connector loose or so. Can also be that some components inside the Signature were damaged, so it put out unstable voltages. Normally you should not have had such instability issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts

My kingdom for a carriage return....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Signature PS is disconnected and awaiting to be shipped back to Antec when the replacement HCP-850 arrives. In retrospect, it was flaky from day one but never had time to pinpoint it till now. Btw, I didn't need to dig up proof of purchase since they used the S/N for warranty which happens to expire this June along with the replacement that's why I pushed for something more decent and not refurbished.

AMD XP 2500+ on a Shuttle AN35N mobo in a Superfox generic case with original HI-PRO HP-235ATXHK PS. This system is ancient (~2003-2004) but has been rock solid and has survived many brown/blackouts and the occasional surges so it's hard to give up. Still bearable for basic computing, internet browsing, online banking/payments, etc. and it's much less of a floor heater and less noisy than the Supermicro X7DAE dual-socket which is now back to being powered by the Seasonic.

The AMD system is such a great experience that I went AMD 6376, Supermicro HG8SL and Supermicro CSE-733i-500B chassis/PS for an ESXi lab server. Sticking with tested and approved hardware going forward and Seasonic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    My kingdom for a carriage return....

Maybe we should've stick with this one

Quote Originally Posted by Mi7chy View Post
    Signature PS is disconnected and awaiting to be shipped back to Antec when the replacement HCP-850 arrives. In retrospect, it was flaky from day one but never had time to pinpoint it till now. Btw, I didn't need to dig up proof of purchase since they used the S/N for warranty which happens to expire this June along with the replacement that's why I pushed for something more decent and not refurbished.

AMD XP 2500+ on a Shuttle AN35N mobo in a Superfox generic case with original HI-PRO HP-235ATXHK PS. This system is ancient (~2003-2004) but has been rock solid and has survived many brown/blackouts and the occasional surges so it's hard to give up. Still bearable for basic computing, internet browsing, online banking/payments, etc. and it's much less of a floor heater and less noisy than the Supermicro X7DAE dual-socket which is now back to being powered by the Seasonic.

The AMD system is such a great experience that I went AMD 6376, Supermicro HG8SL and Supermicro CSE-733i-500B chassis/PS for an ESXi lab server. Sticking with tested and approved hardware going forward and Seasonic.
    Just a bad sample ... those high-end Delta build Antecs are considered among the best built units of all time.

Tough luck, nothing else. For ex. HCP-1200 is a one fine built power supply (which is considered to be a Signature successor) ... had it, used it - damn, I loved it.

Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of Seasonics and I like their products, but they're missing that Signature feel/look when you first grab it out of the box. And not be able to hear it in a normal rig. Of course, presuming that we're talking about a valid sample.

Now ... where's that favorite PSU OEM poll

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

ancient thread; but i still have this psu, and it's still running. sad to say i've just voided the warranty by opening up the box and cleaning out the dust.

fan is still running (amazingly) and it's still very quiet and very cool. (oversized 850W for a basic system thats around 400W max powerdraw)

...so yeah, no doubt there are faulty units produced all over the shop, regardless of brand, from time to time.
    ------

i bought mine just after reading the review done by OW. also had an x750W gold seasonic at that time but i sold it near new. beautiful psu (ie a good fan profile)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adamsleath View Post
    ...so yeah, no doubt there are faulty units produced all over the shop, regardless of brand, from time to time.
    Yeah, that can always happen throughout all manufacturers. Not much you can do about that...

And it usually isn't a particularly high number of units that fail but they fail and that has to hit people, who don't like it neccessarily...

But that's what warranty is for...