Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silent PSU options (sub 500) ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Silent PSU options (sub 500 watt) ?

I have an I-5 (2500K) system with 6 hard disks and a couple of optical drives. It is on 24/7 and after about 18 months the antec-400 psu has developed an extermely annoying rattle in the fan. I went with it instead of a seasonic x 400 or 460 (fanless models).
    -
    Before I bite the bullet and buy the seasonic x 460 (I never see the 400 in stock and it has very low ratings) next time it is on sale I wanted to check if there are other suggestion for a very silent psu that runs 24/7 in an apartment (i.e, it's not a rack machine but it is my internet box and i leave it on - runs linux if that matters).
    -
    My guess is that the 460 is over kill in terms of wattage (though that might help it run cool) but I want something very reliable and well regarded (my guess is 300 watt is probably fine - I should probably replace 4 of the disks with 2 larger disks (they are in software mirror 1)
    -
    basically it is boot disk; 2 sets of raid 1; scratch disk (lots of space)
    -
    Only reasons I've been reluctant to replace the 4 disks with 2 is they have been very reliable - one set is 300GB 5+ years old and the other set is a pair of 1TB drives 2 years old - and most of the reviews on 2TB disks are horribly negative - I was thinking a pair of WD green but the 2 star rating due to failures scared me off - but this is a side issue to the main question on psu.
    Last edited by you2; 05-04-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I have a Seasonic X-650 ... it might be cheaper or about the same price as the x 400- x460.

It's running without fans until about 170-200w load, and above that the fan is barely spinning.

My system right now is an FX-8320 with 16gigs of ram, 4 hard drives, radeon 4850 passively cooled, a 140mm fan and 2 120mm fans all three on low speed and as I write this, the power supply's fan is stopped.

It's on the verge of spinning, every few seconds I see it try to start and stops right away, maybe moving the fan an inch, so basically it makes no noise.

Your 2500k system should use less power on idle, simply because the radeon 4850 is a pig on idle compared to more modern cards but also the 8320 uses a few more watts on idle compared to 2500k.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    322 Posts

I agree with mariush. Instead of getting a PSU that's "just enough" for your power needs, and even spending extra for one that's "fanless", why not get a higher power unit that has a fanless mode?

For example: I have an OCd i5 and a pair of GTX670's. Under load I'm barely using 450W. But I'm using a Corsair AX860i PSU with a fanless mode. Since my load is so low, the fan never spins. Even if I stress test the system, the PSU fan *might* spin at 700 RPM.

For less than the price as that fanless unit, you can get something like an HX650 and have it fanless 99% of the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Here in Germany I'd got for a be quiet! Straight Power or Dark Power Pro.I've got no idea about prices in your country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Or an Enermax Revolution 87+ with 550W or 500W Platimax.
    They're both pretty silent.

I'd rather not go for an oversized semi fanless one.
    The only ones who'd profit from that would be the dealer and the manufacturer...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought if the system was using 150-200 watts there was an issue with a 650/700 psu; i.,e if the power draw is too low the psu is inefficient ?
    -
    btw do the suggested units work with haskwell? Given that i'm using the cpu gpu - going from hd300 to hd500 might be worth the upgrade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    322 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    Or an Enermax Revolution 87+ with 550W or 500W Platimax.
    They're both pretty silent.

I'd rather not go for an oversized semi fanless one.
    The only ones who'd profit from that would be the dealer and the manufacturer...
    Not when the "oversized" unit costs the same as the "undersized" unit.

Quote Originally Posted by you2 View Post
    I thought if the system was using 150-200 watts there was an issue with a 650/700 psu; i.,e if the power draw is too low the psu is inefficient ?
    Not with newer units that have update PWM/PFC controllers that allow the PSU to meet ErP 2013 standards. This is why 80 Plus started testing at 10% load as well. Besides, at low loads, you're using less power, so even at low efficiency you're using less power. So the cost difference is similar to trying to get an ROI out of buying a Platinum unit vs. a Gold unit.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by you2 View Post
    btw do the suggested units work with haskwell? Given that i'm using the cpu gpu - going from hd300 to hd500 might be worth the upgrade.
    Everything works with Haswell. Everything you've heard is a bunch of non-issues blown out of proportion by people that don't fully understand power distribution within a PC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Everything works with Haswell. Everything you've heard is a bunch of non-issues blown out of proportion by people that don't fully understand power distribution within a PC.
    But they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    322 Posts

I took a group regulated unit and put 0.0A on the +12V. Everything was in spec.

I then put 0.05A on the +12V. Everything was in spec.

I then put up to 5A on the +3.3V and 5A on the +5V. Everything was in spec.

Not until I put 6A or more on the non-primary rails did the voltage go out of spec.

In other words.... perfectly normal.

Haswell scare = fail.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Most tech sites lack psu knowledge. Posted the news at computerbase.de and added detailed information about the issue. I explained why it might be harmless - I was the only one in Germany who had a detailed look at the problem. The rest translated the vr-zone news and enjoyed the panic.