Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Not all PSUs support Haswell's low-power states

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Report: Not all PSUs support Haswell's low-power states

Saw this little gem today... any thoughts or opinions on how widespread an issue this might turn out to be?

Quote Originally Posted by TechReport
    Indeed, according to the guys at VR-Zone, Haswell may not play nice with some existing "bargain basement" PSUs. That's because the chip's C6/C7 power states apparently require a minimum load of 0.05 amps on the 12V2 rail. The site says not all PSUs have the appropriate circuitry to let the processor sip that little power without the system becoming "unstable" or shutting down. Current Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors suck a lot more juice—0.5 amps, to be precise—in their low-power states, and meeting that requirement supposedly requires less complex circuitry inside the PSU.
    Source

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

D2D solution for minor rails (3.3V/5V) could meet total 12V minimum load at 0A easily

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

And yet again, a non-issue is blown way out of proportion by the hastily self-taught, self-proclaimed know-it-all journalists. Yay.

So this will only affect those systems whose PSUs have low load/no load protection while not having minimum load resistors present, and the problem will manifest itself as a system shutdown when said system enters a deep stand-by state, from which it has to all but reboot anyway. C6 means all RAM, all cache levels and all register states are purged, and no content is dumped onto non-volatile memory. Only the EFI boot state is kept, and that means that the startup procedure can be skipped, but OS resume will take as long as a cold boot would.

Who gives a flying fuck?
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to McSteel For This Useful Post:

cypherpunks (04-29-2013), ehume (04-29-2013), Jon Gerow (04-29-2013), ssshjp (05-01-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Probably not relevant, but I'm asking around (Intel, Asus, Gigabyte, some psu companies)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of the French hardware portals supposedly got to question some PSU makers and got this response (listed series are compatible):

Seasonic: G-series, X-series, P-series
    CM: V-series
    BQ: L8, E9, P10, S7
    Corsair: GS, TX, HX, AX (CX and VX awaiting confirmation)

Given that L8 and S7 are group regulated, looks like a storm in a teacup. Any reasonably modern PSU should do.

Also, according to be-quiet's documentation, P10 has minimum load requirement of no less than 0.1 A on 12V1 (answer I got from a rep a while ago). Probably goes further to show issue may be overblown.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is what makes me look snazzy for testing zero, as in zero, load ripple / regulation.
    So far I've had one (1) unit that freaked out. It stayed running, but ripple was Not Good.
    (This does not include the two Super Bargain PSUs)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts

And.. of course I'm sure we'll be able to disable the C7 state in the BIOS just like when Intel implemented C6 state (which was never enabled by default when it first came out).

Right now I can't say for sure because everyone's board is running a beta BIOS before launch, but I'm sure we'll see a solution to this already non-issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Antec PSU C7 Support

Hi,

For Antec, the current assessment is stated below. We are working on verifying all series' & sub-series', but our PD department also has other units to test (Computex coming with a couple of launches):

- HCP Platinum
    - TP Gold
    - EA Platinum
    - HCG M

I will also prepare some official statement as a press relelase in ~2 weeks and add confirmed series here.

Joerg @ Antec
    P.S.: Any media honcho, who wants to stay updated, email me. (Competitors exluded )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    And.. of course I'm sure we'll be able to disable the C7 state in the BIOS just like when Intel implemented C6 state (which was never enabled by default when it first came out).

Right now I can't say for sure because everyone's board is running a beta BIOS before launch, but I'm sure we'll see a solution to this already non-issue.
    Looks like that is what motherboard manufacturers are going to do, just disable it by default. TechReport posted a follow-up: http://techreport.com/news/24738/few...w-power-states

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
    Looks like that is what motherboard manufacturers are going to do, just disable it by default. TechReport posted a follow-up: http://techreport.com/news/24738/few...w-power-states
    I didn't see anything in that article that said motherboard manufacturers are definitely going to allow users to enable/disable C7 in the BIOS. Right now all of the Haswell boards out there for testing have beta BIOSes and none of them are horribly stable except for the Intel reference board.

That said, I do agree with Robert and would expect the motherboard manufacturers to allow the ability to enable/disable that sleep state. Otherwise there will potentially be a lot of pissed off users.