Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Photography Upgrade Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shovenose View Post
    How do I view shutter actuations?
    Some EXIF viewers can show you that info. There are a few free online ones.

Quote Originally Posted by shovenose View Post
    Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by c_hegge View Post
    Actually, those shots are quite decent - much better than I could ever get from any of my cameras in low light with no flash.
    Gotta love progress. My D5100 shoots better at ISO 800 than the Fuji S700 ever did at its best settings. ISO 1600 is a bit grainy but still very useable. I expect sensors will continue to get better and better.

Mine doesn't focus too well in the dark either... it's lost after a certain point. I just do it manually when I need to.

Speaking of cameras, I just grabbed a Tokina SD II 70-200mm lens off eBay... this is the last one I'll need for a while now and will bring me up to four lenses: 50mm Nikkor AI-S (which took that oil painting looking shot), 28mm Nikkor AI, 18-55 VR, and the Tokina.
    Last edited by Oklahoma Wolf; 12-12-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Bought a Tokina SD-II 70-210 telephoto as my 40th birthday present this year. This shot of Mojo was taken with it at the 110mm setting and aperture wide open.

Don't look for this one to get used in reviews... it takes some major distance to get this thing focused on anything, despite the inclusion of a 1:5 "macro" mode. My review lenses continue to be the 18-55 kit lens for product shots and 28mm Nikkor AI for disassembly shots.

For fifty bucks, this lens pleases me. Will be used mostly for distant lightning I can't afford to go shoot up close.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Finally have a half decent (I hope) image editing monitor coming my way. Considering my constantly too low budget, there was no way I was getting anything decent without compromising. Either I could go with a cheaper IPS panel, a field dominated by 6 bit addressing and dithering, or I could go with MVA and proper 8 bit 16.7 million color support.

Considering that most cheap IPS panels come from LG, that made the decision easy. I still have a thing against them for the whole M2780D fiasco. So, my new monitor will be the BenQ EW2740L.

This'll be my second BenQ. First one's 6 years old and doing fine after recapping, but I often wonder when the CCFLs will give out. The LG is still in use as second banana to the older BenQ. Too crappy to use as a main monitor, too useful to get rid of.

Finally - no more image editing on craptastic TN panel monitors. My Samsung has been better than most, but it's still a TN. That one will take over for the old BenQ, which will in turn get demoted to mining rig duty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice. I'm kinda glad you didn't go with an LG monitor. I have a 24" LED one (I can't remember the model off the top of my head), for the PC which drives my oscilloscope and webcam for reviews. It's absolutely rubbish. The picture isn't very sharp, and the colours are much duller, compared with all of my other monitors (which are all Samsung).
    No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah - aside from the lines of dead pixels, that was also a complaint with the M2780D. You just can't tweak that thing to look right, no matter which control you fiddle with. Next to the BenQ G2400WD it looks terrible.

It's supposed to be more of a cheap TV than a computer monitor, but thanks to the TN panel and its terrible viewing angles, it manages to suck that way too. All for a price of $50 more than I paid for the new BenQ.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

BenQ EW2740L in action... shot with the D5100 in standard mode, no post processing. I think I'm going to like this guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

my new prime is here Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM
    Expect much better internal shots now..

an example from an SSD I reviewed recently

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Cool - I haven't bought lenses all year. Too busy trying to get my non-PSU photography to start paying some bills before I buy more camera gear. Made all of fifteen bucks this year so far, so that's not really happening.

The monitor's been fantastic though. Even if people won't pay for my shots, they seem to love the images edited on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    Cool - I haven't bought lenses all year. Too busy trying to get my non-PSU photography to start paying some bills before I buy more camera gear. Made all of fifteen bucks this year so far, so that's not really happening.

The monitor's been fantastic though. Even if people won't pay for my shots, they seem to love the images edited on it.
    I wonder if the time is passing when you can even make pocket change form pictures. The physical ones, maybe. But we all have access to everyone's pictures . . .
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's especially hard for storm chasing shots - too many people out there giving away free pictures and video means nobody's willing to pay for them. That said, a photographer friend of mine has told me there's money in certain types of shots around here. So, I'm going to try and make 2015 more about that. There are too many storm chasers out there that only shoot the storm and nothing else. Maybe they get their cars in the shot. That's boring. I want abandoned houses, farm machinery, something else in the shot with the storm. It's harder to do that, but I'm getting there.

I'd also like to upgrade the camera again next year if I can. Now that I've had the D5100 long enough to know what features I need and realize I do low light shooting most, I can target a model that will meet all my needs.

That would be the D610. I don't need new lenses at all... my three manual lenses are perfect, and already what I shoot with most. Just need better low light performance than I can get from the crop sensor cameras. Feature wise, the D5100 has become extremely limiting but I can still get great shots from it. The D7100 gets me the features I need, but not the low light performance. The D610 is really where it's at for me.