Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rosewill Capstone 750w Help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Rosewill Capstone 750w Help

Hello all. I consider this site to be the center of the universe for Power Supply knowledge. My recent forays and "Adventures" with my power supply have inspired me to learn more. But first I need some assistance.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sQhV

That is my build. After 1 month of perfect operation, the entire machine shut down and would not start. Did a handful of newbie PSU tests and sent the unit back. The new one came in today and will not start power up when the GPU is installed. Everything will start fine without it installed. Windows boots up, etc.

Is it really possible as the tech support suggests that I am under-powered? The unit got a great review on this site and also has 64amps on a single 12v rail.

I have seen builds that have 650w PSUs that have 52amp 12vs and run almost exactly the same system.

Is it possible that I just got another faulty unit? Or did they potentially "repair" the one I returned and ship it back to me? A similar Corsair 750w Gold rated PSU only has a 62amp 12v.

I am just baffled. If you could all give me some insight I would appreciate it.
    Could the GPU be the problem? I really want to avoid waiting another month to return this thing if I am just being silly.

Thank you all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're far from overpowered, that system could be run on a 450w unit without trouble.
    Do you have access to another computer? It might be worthwhile to try the GPU in a different rig.

When it fails to start, what exactly does it do? Clicks? LED flashes? Fan twitches?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When the GPU is plugged in the only activity I notice is the case LED light flashing for a fraction of a second and I guess a single click as the power dies. None of the fans twitch and none of the typical MOBO lights even flash. Without the GPU plugged in everything starts up and runs fine.

Because this product was just RMAd the tech people at Rosewill made it seem like it was either the GPU or I was under powered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you have a multimeter? If so I'd measure the resistance between the 12 V bits and GND on the GPU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I honestly don't have a multimeter and have no idea what GND stands for (gross net draw?).

I would be willing to pick up a multimeter if they arent too costly. I would also I guess need to learn how to operate one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Harbor Freight has 'em in the USA, $7 gets a decent one.
    GND stands for Ground.

Do you have and family/friends with a computer (with a good PSU) that you can stuff your GPU into?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bobnova For This Useful Post:

zenman0 (03-07-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts

Like bobnova said: You're not underpowered. Sounds like your graphics card died that first time around, not your PSU.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

zenman0 (03-07-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes. I have someone with a good rig that I could put the GPU into. Unfortunately not sure when I will get back to their town to be able to do it. Currently living a bit away from home.

I will get a multimeter and also try and use the GPU in a different computer. I may have some questions once I receive the multimeter. I kind of hope it is the PSU because I have no idea what the process for the GPU would be like. (It is also a much more costly machine.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I guess my next step is to test the GPU in another machine. I still will get the multimeter to test these because it will be good to have in the future. Thank you bobnova/Jonny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This sounds more like a short on the PCI-E slot than a bad GPU. But testing for a bad GPU is definitely easier.
    PSU: Rosewill FORTRESS-650 || Mobo: MSI Z97M-G43
    CPU: Intel i7-4770K || Corsair H60 (New Version)
    RAM: 8GB G. Skill Ripjaws 2133MHz @11-11-11-30-2T || SSD: Intel 530 240GB
    HDDs: 1TB WD Black, 2x 2TB Hitachi || GPU: AMD Radeon HD7870 @ 1150/1400