View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014
500W User

The worst PSU I've ever used was the one in my Compaq several years back. It had no name on it, and it wasn't ATX compatible. When it blew, it actually caught fire and caused all the lights in the room to start flickering. Almost like they do when the A/C comes on, but continuously.

I had to yell for someone to run to the circuit breaker and turn off the power, and then grab a fire extinguisher.

When it was all said and done, the motherboard appeared undamaged, but I had to replace the outlet my PC was plugged into. It was fried and blackened.

I was thinking of replacing the PSU, but no other PSU I got would work with it. When I went online to investigate, it turned out that the motherboard wasn't AT or ATX compatible, and I would have to pay $120 for a 350W PSU just like the one that had caught fire.

That was when I started building my own computers. I got another Socket 7 motherboard and case, and proceeded to place my optical drive, RAM, hard drive, and CPU into it. Everything worked.

I've never had another PSU do that, though I do keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case.