View Single Post
Old 01-26-2017
Cybenetics CTE

I use both an isolation transformer and an AC source. Clean voltage is the key in order to properly measure ripple. Also you have to use a dedicated line (which i also do). If you have excess noise in this line then nothing of the above will help 100%. The AC source has the proper EMI filtering in order to filter the line's noise but its main purpose is to help you apply every waveform you want, and basically it keeps the voltage steady in order to have the same exactly parameters in every test regardless of the PSU's capacity.

Ripple below 10mV is of less importance according to my opinion. What if you measure 5mV and it actually is 7 or 8mV. On top of that you even will lose that if you don't use a logging software to monitor the entire load test (which can last from 5-15 minutes at a time) and have in hand the entire ripple session of the PSU (with a good scope you might be able to bypass this though).

I have a good set of differential probes, only use it to measure dangerous (very high voltage) stuff. I am aware of the affordable diff probe solutions, since I searched about the rebranded models that are on the market before I acquired mine

ATX spec recommends lots of stuff, however I seriously doubt if an electronics engineer has written it or checked it (at least the latter versions). See the silly high ripple limits that it has for example, which remain the same for many years now.
The Following User Says Thank You to crmaris For This Useful Post:
quest for silence (01-26-2017)