View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013
Flux Capacitor User

The idea with an SSD is not to keep everything on it, like you would a big HDD, but just to keep things on it that matter, like windows, and a few games. You put your big data on a hard-disk.
Alternatively, you get some nice cache software and use the SSD as a cache for your HDD. The speed improvements to your machine will be massive either way you use it.

And CPU passmark is only one benchmark set, the intel cores are very efficient. For example: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=404 shows many comparison benchmarks, and the Pentium g850 looks good compared to the Phenom 965, and gives you an easy upgrade to an i5 or i7 chip later.

In summary: Keep your current 1TB drive, look at a low end z68 or z77 chipset board if possible, or any board with intel smart response (SSD caching) plug in a low end 32 or 64GB SSD, and use it to cache the slow old HDD. The onboard intel graphics on the current chips is plenty for flash games. You'd want a better GPU (any AMD 76xx or better, or Nvidia 550/640 or better) for other games at some point.
Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)
The Following User Says Thank You to allikat For This Useful Post:
ThaWade (03-24-2013)