View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013
PC Hardware enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
But you really don't need that advanced technology to protect your systems and data. This is because all computer equipment power supplies are designed to function well when powered through a surge and spike protector, which works by chopping off the tops of the sinewaves anyway. So if you buy a "good" UPS with a quick cut-over, you can buy an UPS that provides a "stepped approximation to a sinewave" for your computer system with no worries. Quality, properly functioning, consumer electronics power supplies can handle those not-so-pretty chopped off sinewaves, if not extreme, with no problems.
Thatís great news! Compatibility with my system and protecting my build is important but it is also very important and wise to save money in these times of difficult economy.

Quote:
I am not rich, so I did not opt for a $400 UPS. Instead, I have a APC Back-UPS XS 1500 protecting my main system and note it provides at least 15 minutes of backup power for my i7, 8Gb computer, all my network hardware, and both of my 22" LCD monitors with aplomb. And the cutover time is so fast, I have never had a power disruption
I checked the APC Back-UPS XS 1500 and itís very similar to the APC BR1500G BACK-UPS Pro 1500. Can anyone tell me the differences and / or pro-cons between the two? Is its operation silent?

Quote:
even after squirrels forget to let go of one line before grabbing the other, sending themselves to crispy critter land, blowing the transformer fuse in the process (a too common occurrence in my old neighborhood).

Quote:
Ummm, then why list it, or have it under consideration?
Just for price comparison purposes.