View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013
PC Hardware enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by allikat View Post
Actually, while 50% is the peak efficiency, it's a waste of money to buy a unit that is at 50% when the machine is at maximum load. You're far better off buying one only 50-100w over what you need. The 80+ designations require full load to be no worse than 3% less efficient at full load than the peak at 50%. And besides, if you buy a PSU that closely fits your needs, it'll still be spending the majority of its' time at 50% load or less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
With only 50 - 100W headroom, that leaves very little wiggle room down the road should the user decide to add more drive space, more RAM or perhaps an upgraded, or 2nd power hungry graphics card.

10 - 15% is not unreasonable for quality supplies from reputable makers, and 30% degradation can be expected with some no-name, budget power supplies. That's significant.

Also, most of the better PSUs have incorporated fan speed controls to toggle down or up the speed of the PSU's fan, depending on temperature. Loud fan noise is not good.

And so if they buy a PSU today with little headroom, it may not support future demands and that will end up costing the consumer more in the long run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnova View Post
How much headroom you leave also depends on the PSU size, if you buy a 550w for a 450w system you have almost 25% extra. If you buy a 1500w for a 1400w system that's a rather different story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
Skimping on the power supply can be a costly rookie mistake. It is not a mistake to buy more than you think you will ever need - within reason, of course.
I appreciate all of your knowledgeable comments.

Well, I understand my hardware wont be running at 100% capacity, 24/7, only when its required.

Like I said, during my PSU research I considered specs like Peak and sustained load, efficiency, capacitors aging, PFC, modular and Noise levels (Yes, my family greatly appreciated a silent PC, especially during those late-night work or gaming sessions). In brief, I chose and bought the CORSAIR Professional Series AX1200i due to its high built quality, reliability, higher efficiency, low noise (its operation is fanless until it reaches 30% load) and room to spare for adding new hardware, future upgrades and overclocking. If it proves its worth, I could even use this same PSU for another build. I would rather go cheap on a PC chassis or Mouse than on mission critical hardware like the PSU and the UPS.

The Power Supply unit topic is very important. But I think we have gone a bit off topic here. I have specific purposes and many ideas for that Performance build that well have the opportunity to share and discuss in a near future thread. For the time being, my efforts are focused on selecting the UPS to protect my Hardware.

Regarding surge protection, the only area I didn't like related to APC is that they always seem to skimp on surge protection in their UPS units. For example, the APC BR1500G and SMC1500 models only provide 354 joules and 455 joules of surge protection, respectively. The Cyberpower 1500AVR has 1500 joules of surge protection. But now, how much surge protection would one really need?

Any thoughts, comments and suggestions are welcome.