View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012
Flux Capacitor User

Default Thoughts on Diablo 3 and always online requirement?

When I heard Diablo 3 announced 4 years ago and when I saw the gameplay footage released at the same time, I was completely stoked. Knowing Blizzard, I was also completely ready to wait at least 3 years before I could play it.

When I head 9 months ago that the game would require a constant online connection, I was devastated and to this day am contemplating a complete boycott of the game. However, I am weak, the game looks awesome and I still really want to play it.

I have never played World of Warcraft, or any other MMO for that matter. I was stunned when people proclaimed "same old Bizzard" when there were launch day problems. I was so used to Blizzard games coming out with a sparkling polish....I was used to Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2 and Starcraft. I was a fan of Blizzard games back in the late 90s. I was never a rabid fanboy however and actually shook my head at some of the more delusional ones.

Steam was the first DRM method which actually caught my attention. When Half-Life 2 came out, I was still on a freaking slow modem. The online activation scared me away from the game. I remember at the time there was a good bit of outrage over it. Now STEAM is ubiquitous and anyone who would question it is disregarded as a nut job.

Now I have a very good internet connection with no bandwidth limits, but I still do not like the idea of always online DRM. Even with very good internet, my internet might go down, their server might go down. I might want to play the game on a laptop where there is no internet. I've already seem people complaining about progress lost due to being dropped. I don't want some Denial of service attacks to screw with my leisure time. I don't want to worry that the company will shut down the servers in 5 years and the game is gone for good. Despites Blizzard's insistence, this is not an MMO. This game is very different from MMOs and there really is no reason other than prevention of piracy and cheating for the game to be online only.

Ubisoft has caught a ton of flack over Starforce and their more recent always online DRM. I have never seen anyone defend Ubisoft. While I see plenty of people outraged at Blizzard, I see just as many who defend Blizzard until their fingers are raw from typing.

I've been dismissing these Blizzard defenders as fanboys and those who drink deep of the Blizzard Kool-Aid and ask for seconds.

I find mostly reasonable people on this site. So I ask, Diablo III's DRM reasonable?

Last edited by HOOfan_1; 05-17-2012 at 09:21 PM.