jonnyGURU Forums

jonnyGURU Forums (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/index.php)
-   Operating Systems (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   how do I stop windows going bad (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8941)

ianm2 03-28-2012 04:36 PM

how do I stop windows going bad

every time I get the same problem, not long after installing and same for software, windows slows down to a chug, is there anyway I can stop this from happening please? thanks

mariush 03-31-2012 02:54 PM

Install a proper antivirus and stop installing all the crap applications, video codec packs, toolbars and so on.

Use a player like Media Player Classic Home Cinema to play videos without any need to install codecs.
Use Firefox or Chrome to browse the net safely.
Use a proper antivirus like Eset NOD32 or Avira or whatever else is cool these days.

Set your Windows' page file to a fixed size of 3-4 GB and after a reboot, defragment your windows drive using a good software like o&o defrag.

Shadowww 03-31-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariush (Post 87736)
Install a proper antivirus and stop installing all the crap applications, video codec packs, toolbars and so on.

Use a player like Media Player Classic Home Cinema to play videos without any need to install codecs.
Use Firefox or Chrome to browse the net safely.
Use a proper antivirus like Eset NOD32 or Avira or whatever else is cool these days.

Set your Windows' page file to a fixed size of 3-4 GB and after a reboot, defragment your windows drive using a good software like o&o defrag.

+1 on all above, except for defragmenter - O&O Defrag is shareware (and is quite pricey), SmartDefrag 2 is great free alternative.

mariush 04-01-2012 06:50 AM

O&O Defrag was one of the few defragmenters (at the time I evaluated software) that was smart enough to move the fixed page file to the start of the drive.

If the page file was not of fixed size, it moved it somewhere around the 60% of the drive, where it would make the most free space around it so that Windows could enlarge or shrink it with as little fragmentation as possible.

As for the price... I'm from East Europe... when I was younger and didn't have the good job I have now, I used to pirate a lot of software so I didn't care about the price. Nowadays, I tend to buy the software I need (windows, antivirus, programming tools etc)

rafal_iB_PL 04-01-2012 06:53 AM

Auslogics has a free defrag doubling as screen saver. Set once and forget.

KeriJane 01-01-2013 08:16 PM

You can't stop Windows from going bad.

It's just Bad to the Bone!

The best way to run Windows is from within a Virtual Machine being run under a responsible OS like Linux or Mac OSX.

This way, you can save snapshots of your Windows installation and easily restore it to a point where it was no Badder than usual, or maybe even Less Bad than Usual if you're lucky.

Never mind me, I'm an AntiMicrosoftian :D