jonnyGURU Forums

jonnyGURU Forums (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/index.php)
-   PC Power Supply Discussion (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Seasonic M12 700 Watt PSU... Not booting Machine (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679)

CardCounter 12-20-2006 11:15 PM

Seasonic M12 700 Watt PSU... Not booting Machine

Hello, I was just redirected here to these forums for my situation. I have recently come across a difficult problem for me to solve on my own. In a few months I will be building a new PC. And of course, I want to pick out the right power supply. To begin describing my problem, I will first describe my desired rig. ASUS P5N32-E SLI Mobo, Conroe E6600, Crucial Balastix 2 Gig (Dual Channel 1 gig sticks) upgrade to 4 Gig later, EVGA 7950GT in SLI, ATI TV wonder card (its old I know), Western Digi 160 Gb SATA, Western Digi 250 Gb EIDE (using IDE to SATA adapter), Memorex DVD Burner Combo Drive, Asus DVD Burner Combo Drive w/ Lightscribe, NEC micro floppy diskette drive, 1 120mm fan w/ UV cold cathode tube, 1 120mm fan LED (Blue), 1 80mm fan w/ UV cold cathode tube, 1 80mm fan LED (Blue), 2 40mm Fans LED {(Blue) for cooling north and south bridge}, Corsair RAM fan, Zalman 9700 HSF, 2 UV cold Cathode tubes, and 4 channel fan controller w/ possible future water cooling upgrade. Using the eXtreme PSU calculator found on various websites, My Peak Wattage was calculated to 700 watts. Now, herein lies my problem, originally I was going to purchase a modular PSU as the size of my case is somewhat small (LIAN LI 60APLUSII w/ window). I originally was going to purchase a Seasonic M12 700 Watt, until I heard about this which im assuming has something to do with this. Anyways, the information where I found this can be located here. So, again here are my preferred choices for PSU, Seasonic M12 600 Watt, Seasonic M12 700 watt, or Corzair 620 watt. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated and any clarification to these articles is also appreciated.

- Thank You

CAD4466HK 12-20-2006 11:29 PM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, beware of PSU calculators:p

You hardly need 700 watts, I would even venture out there and say that
a HX520 would be fine, but If your wallet can afford it, the HX620 should
look good in your future build and the next, and the next.....

CardCounter 12-20-2006 11:56 PM

Ok then... but after reading Mr. Gurus review on Corsair 620 watt it showed a voltage drop on 5v rail... but guru said no1 should an upwards need of 20a... I didnt quite fully understand the whole part on that and the ripple effect that occured on this particular PSU. It scored very high on his review and he recommends it... although im just to stupid to understand the full meaning of his review... any clarification would help me to understand the nature of beast better, and I would prefer to know other than just to go off of opinion. Not that I dont trust his judgement I would just like to know what is actually happening.

-thanks

PS. how Do I change the "micro ATX user" part... Im assuming this is a "status" indication of technical understanding?

CAD4466HK 12-21-2006 12:04 AM

Why are you worried about +5V on your rig:confused:
All modern PC's use mostley all +12V
Plus jG was crossloading the rails:)
Nonthing for you to worry about unless your running 5 year old hardware;)
Or you have a bunch of{10+} ATA150 SATA or ATA66-ATA100 IDE drives

CardCounter 12-21-2006 02:52 AM

Oh... I get it now... I didnt realize he was crossloading rails... hence torture test... WOW talk about Corsair making a KILLER PSU. I AM very happy now. Now that I understand. Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate you explaining this to me. Now I get it.

CAD4466HK 12-21-2006 03:50 AM

"The more you learn, the better you feel":)

Bbq 12-21-2006 05:18 AM

Don't forget, the more you spend, the better you will feel.

Ok, I couldn't resist that one. But Seasonic makes a very solid supply. For corsair, Antec, or branded as Seasonic. You won't be disapointed.

EsaT 12-21-2006 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardCounter (Post 6822)
Conroe E6600, Crucial Balastix 2 Gig (Dual Channel 1 gig sticks) upgrade to 4 Gig later, EVGA 7950GT in SLI

CPU and graphic cards are biggest consumers, CPU's TDP is 65W (lower in reality), 7950GT peaks around 60w so I would say peak consumption will be under 300W...
Of course in case of low quality PSUs that means requirement for 600W PR rating.

SilentPCreview found both M12 and S12E+ capable to starting without any load and same applies to Corsairs. And I've tried it with 700W M12 which starts well without load.
(that clicking sound mentioned in SPCR's S12E+ review disappears when 12V load rises near 1A)

If you keep it possible to have dual top end graphic card configuration in some point 700W M12 definitely has advantage because of four PCIe connectors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardCounter (Post 6841)
I didnt realize he was crossloading rails... hence torture test...

700W M12's full load hot box test is closer to what I would call as torture test.

CardCounter 12-21-2006 10:38 PM

Wow, this has definately been an enlightening learning experience for me. I definately feel more comfortable and confident in my Rig. Oh one more thing, I already have Super PI mod for testing CPU, Any other suggestions for Programs to test OC'ing for say Memory, Graphics card, and maybe some more for CPU? And something that can test artifacting as well? Im hoping those Balistix chips will be good for OC'ing, from what I've been lead to believe, Balistix is a division of Micron, Hence... they should be inlaid with micron chips?

P.S. - a bit personal info here, thought I might share :) Just got a cavity in my moler. Woke up today with it... and it HAD to be over CHRISTMAS WEEKEND uuuuuuGGGGGHHHHHHH. NO DENTIST TILL BREAK IS OVER, MAN THIS SUCKS.

EsaT 12-22-2006 03:01 AM

http://www.memtest.org/

3DMark would be good for general stressing/testing graphic cads. Also Ultimate Boot CD contains some testing tools.

Try breaking couple toes by spraining them (and propably breaking bones little while at it)... but don't hit those same toes to leg of chair three months later and avoid doing it if you have to walk next day.