jonnyGURU Forums

jonnyGURU Forums (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/index.php)
-   PC Power Supply Discussion (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Multiple PSU vs Single (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4809)

TeamWahoo 09-27-2008 12:48 AM

Multiple PSU vs Single
 
Just looking for pros/cons on the use of multiple PSUs in a system.

Here's the situation: I'm building a new system and pulling the good parts off of my old one. My power demands could be considerable. My old PSU is a Corsair HX620. I'm planning on running a Q9550 on a P45 board, a single 4870 x2 (new), 8gb of high end DDR2 ram (Vista 64), 6 hard drives (4tb) from the old box, plus the misc other items (fans, rom drives etc).

I wasn't too concerned about it until I read the ATI spec on the 4870x2 that said I would need a minimum supply of 650W.

My new case will support (has space) for 2 PSUs. If the HX620 won't easily handle the load, would it be feasible to add a second PSU that could be dedicated to select components. Or would it make more sense to use a single Large(er) PSU?

Aside from dual components added heat and potential noise, what would the pros/cons be for each option? What would happen to the system if one of the PSUs failed?

Oklahoma Wolf 09-27-2008 08:45 AM

I've never been a fan of dual PSU setups, personally. One HX620 should barely be able to handle the one 4870x2, but I think I would upgrade to a good 750W.

jonnyGURU 09-27-2008 08:49 AM

Your biggest drawback is going to be cable clutter.

You won't have added heat because one PSU @ 80% efficiency putting out 500W is giving off 100W of heat. Two PSU's @ 80% efficiency putting out about 250W each is giving off 50W of heat each.

But I can imagine funky things happening if one PSU were to stop working. I guess you should make sure one PSU powers just the graphics cards because if you lose power on those connectors, you'll know without damaging anything. Not sure how you'll handle the minimum load requirements of the other rails though. Resistors?

HOOfan_1 09-27-2008 10:14 AM

If the Wahoo in his handle stands for UVA Wahoos...then I'm sure he will figure it out ;)

TeamWahoo 09-29-2008 09:49 PM

Could make it work, but...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HOOfan_1 (Post 43586)
If the Wahoo in his handle stands for UVA Wahoos...then I'm sure he will figure it out ;)

HOOfan,
Sorry to disappoint, but I'm actually a Florida Gator (no cracks about last Saturday, please ;-). The Wahoo comes from a surf club a buddy and I started, in Jacksonville, years ago.

I will say that I can certainly appreciate UVA's rep for students with larger than normal medulla oblongatas :D

What I'm gathering from this short thread is that I will most likely avoid a huge headache by simply upgrading to a single, larger PSU.


p.s. Wahoowa!

MrWicked1968 09-30-2008 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeamWahoo (Post 43652)
HOOfan,
Sorry to disappoint, but I'm actually a Florida Gator (no cracks about last Saturday, please ;-). The Wahoo comes from a surf club a buddy and I started, in Jacksonville, years ago.

I will say that I can certainly appreciate UVA's rep for students with larger than normal medulla oblongatas :D

What I'm gathering from this short thread is that I will most likely avoid a huge headache by simply upgrading to a single, larger PSU.


p.s. Wahoowa!

bingo!

btw, the Vols could use a quarterback, can you guys spare Tebow?

Spectre 09-30-2008 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWicked1968 (Post 43656)
bingo!

btw, the Vols could use a quarterback, can you guys spare Tebow?

Hey but your center is one sneaky mofo.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © JonnyGURU.com 2000 -