jonnyGURU Forums

jonnyGURU Forums (
-   Operating Systems (
-   -   how to permanently disable windows update in windows 10 (

joe merial 05-18-2017 08:26 AM

how to permanently disable windows update in windows 10
Hello to all,

I would like to know, is it possible to permanently disable the window update in window 10 ??

Mokocchi 05-18-2017 08:40 AM

Why would you need to do this? Having an up-to-date operating system is critical, you don't want your computer turning into a botnet zombie...
Otherwise, Windows update service can be stopped, or to avoid having update packages being downloaded automatically, set your network connection as metered.

yojo2 05-20-2017 01:33 AM

The only way to permanently stop updates is: Start -> type services.msc -> right-click n Windows Update -> set it to disabled. In Windows 10 Pro theoretically you can defer installing updates, but that doesn't work - Windows will install them anyway after some period of time, this option is useless.

As for the why would someone want to disable WU, I can think of three reasons:
1) WU can sometimes lead to abnormally high CPU and HDD load, even when it's not downloading/installing updates. But granted, disabling WU only fixes the symptoms and not the actual issue.
2) Very slow internet connection or a very low download quota
3) Some people may seem it as an inconvenience, and they might have had negative experiences with it in the past. This is something I can definitely relate to - when I had Windows 8.1 I actually _had_ to disable WU, because one of the critical updates caused the OS to stoop booting with a black screen. Reinstalled the OS a few times, and this update kept killing my OS. What's odd is that it seemed like an isolated case, I couldn't find any similar reports. And it wasn't the first time that WU messed something up.