jonnyGURU Forums

jonnyGURU Forums (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/index.php)
-   PC Power Supply Discussion (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   APC BackUPS Pro. Upgrading my UPS or not. This is the problem. (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14164)

sblantipodi 03-17-2017 07:57 PM

APC BackUPS Pro. Upgrading my UPS or not. This is the problem.

Hi all,
I'm just planning to upgrade my GTX980 Ti SLI to a GTX1080 Ti SLI, I say this because those newer cards will eat approximately 60W more than the previous one.

At the moment the maximum load on my PSU (AX860i series, waiting for upgrading it) with both cards maxed out and CPU maxed out is of 700W.
Consider a 10% efficiency, the monitor and the NAS and it's easy that my UPS is loaded with 810W.

The UPS is question is an APC BackUPS Pro BR1500GI 865W/1500VA with a fresh new genuine battery.

http://www.apc.com/resource/images/s..._v_500x500.jpg

I have done some testing and differently from what APC says, this UPS is not able to handle a blackout if the load of my peripherals is greater than 800W.
At 800W or less it always handle a blackout for some minutes, at 810W it never handle the blackout, the PC is shutted down immediately.

I bought the UPS to save my work in case of AC problems, fortunantly the UPS is able to handle the load of my PC at work since while working I never go over 800W.

But what happen if there is a blackout while gaming and pushing hard up to 810W?
The PC shutdown (and no one will cry since I was only gaming) but what about PC components?

Can UPS damage the PSU or other components since it isn't able to handle the blackout?

I'm in doubt if upgrade my UPS or not...

jonnyGURU 03-17-2017 08:09 PM

All your parts die. Just like that.

sblantipodi 03-17-2017 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnyGURU (Post 137518)
All your parts die. Just like that.

don't get it, probably a language barrier, sorry.
what do you mean for die? shut down or be damaged?

jonnyGURU 03-17-2017 09:15 PM

Actually... I'm just kidding. With a good PSU, your parts are fine. Simply cutting power to your parts means nothing to your parts. As far as they're concerned, you just turned the PC off. They just stop working. It's just your data that gets corrupted because it's not properly written to memory.

sblantipodi 03-17-2017 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnyGURU (Post 137525)
Actually... I'm just kidding. With a good PSU, your parts are fine. Simply cutting power to your parts means nothing to your parts. As far as they're concerned, you just turned the PC off. They just stop working. It's just your data that gets corrupted because it's not properly written to memory.

ah ok :)
my important data is on a NAS and are not written while gaming, so I'm ok.
thanks

ridgid13579 03-18-2017 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sblantipodi (Post 137530)
ah ok :)
my important data is on a NAS and are not written while gaming, so I'm ok.
thanks

That's like the second worst way of backing up "Important data". A NAS without any external redundancy.

quest for silence 03-18-2017 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridgid13579 (Post 137535)
A NAS without any external redundancy.

A NAS backed up by another NAS? Jeez...

sblantipodi 03-18-2017 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridgid13579 (Post 137535)
That's like the second worst way of backing up "Important data". A NAS without any external redundancy.

NAS has Raid 1 redudancy, I don't need more secure :)

ridgid13579 03-18-2017 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quest for silence (Post 137537)
A NAS backed up by another NAS? Jeez...

You should research and see how big corporations backup data. It's obviously excessive for a single person, but you can take some steps from them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sblantipodi (Post 137544)
NAS has Raid 1 redudancy, I don't need more secure :)

Raid is not backup. It's redundancy. What happens if you have a fire? What happens if the raid controller goes? What happens if you accidently delete a file? Raid only protects against one thing.

Cheap and easy way to backup, encrypt your data and upload it to the cloud (Google drive, backblaze, ACS, etc etc).

ehume 03-18-2017 02:03 PM

I pay $60 for off-site backup. Why? I have a lot of photographs, a lot of RAW. I got pushed into this by reading about ransomeware. I'm not the only person using my homenet and ransomeware can pop up anywhere. Anything connected can be encrypted, including NAS. This is why I consider $60/year to be a good investment. YMMV.