jonnyGURU Forums

jonnyGURU Forums (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/index.php)
-   PC Power Supply Discussion (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   EVGA supernova p2 650 and Corsair Rm650x (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13672)

Eng_Heisenberg 10-01-2016 03:25 PM

EVGA supernova p2 650 and Corsair Rm650x

Hi.

I was decided to buy an EVGA Supernova p2 650W, but, after I read some reviews about this model, I discovered that it doesn't have over temperature protection (OTP). Should I be worried about this detail and buy another PSU?

Well, then I looked at the Corsair RM650x. It is as good as evga with ripple suppression, but there isn't a bypass relay to keep the thermistor cool, so I think it is not a good choice (correct if I am wrong).

So, I can't decide what PSU to buy since I am worried about the lack of OTP in G2 and the lack of bypass relay in RMx.

What's your opinion?

Thanks very much =)

jonnyGURU 10-01-2016 03:41 PM

At this level, you're splitting hairs with the "cons". Seriously, we've gotten to the point where we're pointing out even the most minuscule detail to differentiate one high end unit against the other.

Either choice is fine.

Eng_Heisenberg 10-01-2016 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnyGURU (Post 130797)
At this level, you're splitting hairs with the "cons". Seriously, we've gotten to the point where we're pointing out even the most minuscule detail to differentiate one high end unit against the other.

Either choice is fine.

Let me explain my worrie about the RMx series. Imagine the following situation:

I am using my computer then suddenly the power in my house goes down and some miliseconds or seconds after comes back to normal. Since the Rmx does not have bypass relay, the thermistor would not be cool, so the inrush current would not be limited.

And, about the p2 from EVGA, my case has 5 fans, so, probably, I wouldn't have issues with over temperature. But I think it is strange that an unit of this level lacks OTP, don't you think?

Thanks for the reply.

-The_Mask- 10-01-2016 05:05 PM

You should be more worried about the unexpected shut downs then the higher inrush current.

Eng_Heisenberg 10-01-2016 08:33 PM

So, am I being paranoic about the lack of over temperature protection on supernova p2?

quest for silence 10-02-2016 01:29 AM

Definitely (as well as about the bypass): any of those should be fine, but if eventually you can't decide, then buy a Seasonic Prime 650 (if available there). :D

-The_Mask- 10-02-2016 03:08 AM

Prime ain't perfect either.

quest for silence 10-02-2016 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -The_Mask- (Post 130829)
Prime ain't perfect either.

Are you referring to turning on spikes?

-The_Mask- 10-02-2016 03:54 AM

Nothing in particular, we seen more then one issue. We also know that Seasonic doesn't have the lowest RMA rate, so I wouldn't call Prime perfect.

quest for silence 10-02-2016 04:49 AM

Oh, our SeasonicRep will love you now, for sure! :D